Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: 3rd shipment?  (Read 10898 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: 3rd shipment?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »

When I lost my ability to run 3 cm15s at once, I regressed my automation to rudimentary timers and remotes. I gave up at one point. I bought "New" xp machines, but my dot net was incompatible with life jacket, so gave up again. Can't get dot net 4 for xp.

I had hoped the WM would replace the CM, and we could migrate our AHX files to it. There's a hardware mismatch that puts that out of the question.

I've spent too much time blowing the rust off my programming skills this winter, and was on a roll till a look at the inner workings let the wind out of my sails.

All accomplishments worth the effort are proceeded by failure(s).

I think what made the CM15A the enormous success it was for Home Automation users... wasn't what it was designed to do. But what made the CM15A and AHP great.... was what users figured out how to do... with what abilities it had. I think most users here can figure out creative ways to make lights behave as we desire. I know we can mix and match this stuff of different brands and protocols and make it play well together... I am doing so as are others.

We just need to be more creative. Maybe the world doesn't need automated chairs. But sometimes failures work just fine... and still aren't what we're looking for. But successes will come.

From 2009 https://youtu.be/TBk0O__WT2o
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:01:18 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 12:25:37 AM »

I was never a fan of X10's software so don't know how much ran on the Cypress MCU and how much ran on a PC. That said, the WM100 hardware has a lot of potential but it likely will take a long time before Authinx can fully exploit it. So, patience is in order.

The ESP8266 module can act in STA (i.e. Client) & AP (i.e. Access Point) modes simultaneously so it might act as a mini WiFi hub for 4 or 5 HA related devices/modules. It has 38kHz NEC IR built-in which  might be exploited to do both X10 RF and IR. It also has 2MB of flash memory that might prove useful. The 32-bit Espressif ESP-WROOM-02 Module, 18-pins, 64 KB boot ROM, 64 KB instruction RAM, 96 KB data RAM and 2MB of Flash is mostly idle.

The MCU, a 32-bit ARM STM32F103RCT6, 64-pins, 256KB Flash, 48KB of RAM plus an external 8KB flash memory chip is, similarly, underutilized. It is roughly equivalent to a first generation Raspberry Pi or an Arduino Mega 2560 in processing power.

Stay tuned!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:50:11 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 01:27:04 AM »

I was never a fan of X10's software so don't know how much ran on the Cypress MCU and how much ran on a PC. That said, the WM100 hardware has a lot of potential but it likely will take a long time before Authinx can fully exploit it. So, patience is in order.

The ESP8266 module can act in STA (i.e. Client) & AP (i.e. Access Point) modes simultaneously so it might act as a mini WiFi hub for 4 or 5 HA related devices/modules. It has 38kHz NEC IR built-in which  might be exploited to do both X10 RF and IR. It also has 4MB of flash memory that might prove useful. The 32-bit Espressif ESP-WROOM-02 Module, 18-pins, 64 KB boot ROM, 64 KB instruction RAM, 96 KB data RAM and 2MB of Flash is mostly idle.

The MCU, a 32-bit ARM STM32F103RCT6, 64-pins, 256KB Flash, 48KB of RAM plus an external 8KB flash memory chip is, similarly, underutilized. It is roughly equivalent to a first generation Raspberry Pi or an Arduino Mega 2560 in processing power.

Stay tuned!
I agree the potential of this device is enormous.
Like all x10 transceivers none were anything special on initial release (by todays standards)
I'd like to see Authinx add at least 1 option for power users which would prove the power of this device.
Right now everything it does is for beginners (newbies). ::) :'
There is the potential for this to send commands to other Hubs/servers or possibly eliminate some.
As much as I'd like to see the protocol release I don't think we'll see that any time soon. :(
The manufacture just isn't finished creating it, a web upgradable rom means the protocol can be expanded for every X10WIFI App update if needed.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 02:55:54 AM »

....... it likely will take a long time before Authinx can fully exploit it. So, patience is in order.

Patience. Not a plentiful resource now-a-days. I checked Amazon... patience seems to mostly be used as the titles of books. One book [Healing Anger: The Power Of Patience From A Buddhist Perspective] is by The Dalai Lama.

But, of course, I agree. New product development is never fast and this is all new to Authinx.

I agree the potential of this device is enormous.
....... I'd like to see Authinx add at least 1 option for power users which would prove the power of this device.
Right now everything it does is for beginners (newbies). ::) :'.....

Without attracting the newbies.... where will the future power users come from? I applaud Authinx efforts to bring in new blood (AKA customers). What would be the "1 option for power users" that you'd like to see added?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:37 AM »

I'm not stating that what the WM100 and App does right now is a bad thing. ;)
For newbies to HA this is a step farther then several other HA hubs go.
What would be the "1 option for power users" that you'd like to see added?
There are several power user options I can think of, some have already been requested in the wish list section.
Many of us power users just want what the CM15 & AHP supplied, but this can do so much more.
Authinx needs to add some automation to the WM100 not just timers.
Give users a hint as to the potential power of the WM100. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 04:03:54 AM »

..... Many of us power users just want what the CM15 & AHP supplied, but this can do so much more.
Give users a hint as to the potential power of the WM100. ::) :'

Maybe... adding access/control to X10's SC1200 Security Console, door/window and motion sensors could be a easy add-on that could satisfy BOTH new and power users?!?!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:31 AM »

Maybe... adding access/control to X10's SC1200 Security Console, door/window and motion sensors could be a easy add-on that could satisfy BOTH new and power users?!?!
That would be a nice add. ;) :)
However I doubt that could be done via a firmware update at least with any decent range.

dhouston would may be have a better idea as to the ease of that being done.
I would suspect an antenna add would be required.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 05:21:36 AM »

How about the ability to monitor real-world variables like temperature with an external module?  That can be used to control HVAC systems and irrigation like I do with the Ocelot.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »

Monitoring real world variables I think would be possible with a web request. The ability for the WM100 to be able to do Http GET, PUT, POST.... actions would be huge. :)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tflemer

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 06:50:35 AM »

I've been looking at running Homegenie on my new Raspberry Pi 3. I am still new to Pi, Raspbian, Linux, and/or Python.... and I am still horribly inept. Thank you for the link. I saved it and will browse through the posts. I failed at getting HG to run for me (so far). I'll see what I can do with Domoticz. Does it also use a CM15A as an X10 interface?

After many years of screw ups, I like to create recipes for setting up hardware and programs ( ...and still screw up).  Sometimes a Capitol s for a lower case S can make all the difference.  For RPi and Homegenie, my recipe has almost turned into a cookbook.  Not sure this will help others or set the framework for installing other HA programs, but take a look.  If it helps, great, otherwise deleting is just electrons.

I will throw in whatever help I can.  There is a forum for HomeGenie https://homegenie.club  I notice some of the member names here are also on the Homegenie forum.  Many of them have more knowledge that I do.  Members on the .club forum have created install recipes as well.

OVERVIEW
1.   Document steps as you go through the process
2.   Create a working SD Card image for Raspberry PI
3.   Clone image to local computer as a starter base.
4.   Install program(s) such as HomeGenie
5.   Backup HomeGenie configuration
6.   Clone SD Card image with HomeGenie

RPi 3B Raspian SETUP
Using a Windows 10 machine.  There are two programs needed for setup and communications with your RPi.

Etcher – This program will transfer the image file to a micro SD card.
https://etcher.io/

PuTTY – this is a popular terminal program to access an RPi via SSH.
https://www.putty.org/

CLONING BACKUPS
Win32 Disk Imager - for backups and clones later in the process
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Instructions to use:
https://pimylifeup.com/backup-raspberry-pi/

CREATE IMAGE
Go to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Download the Raspian Stretch image to a local machine (Win10 is OK).  Normal placement is in \downloads.
Note Etcher will read the .zip file directly.  No need to extract.
Insert SD card into USB adapter and then in to USB port on local machine.  Note:  new cards will show as a drive letter in Windows Explorer. 

(Used cards will cause a format popup.  Do not format.  The best practice is to use <Windows Administrative Tools><Computer Management><Disk Management> to delete partitions and create one new volume.)

Start Etcher to transfer the Raspian image onto a MicroSD card

From Etcher menu select image .zip file to load.

Etcher shows the drive that will be written to.  So far Etcher sees the correct drive.  However, an added thumb drive may confuse it.  So, pay attention.

Click on start.  Burning takes about 20 minutes on my laptop.

The RPi must be powered down.
Remove the SD card from the adapter and insert in the RPi board.  Note:  the printed side of the SD card should be visible from the solder side of the pc board.

Apply power to the RPi.  I have a monitor connected to the RPi and can see the boot process.  Also, a USB wireless keyboard and mouse are added to compete setup.

CHANGE PASSWORDS
Changing passwords in Raspian is a good security practice.  There are two default users:  pi and root
From the on-screen menu open a terminal session (on top menu bar).  Enter the following

sudo passwd pi <enter>
Enter new UNIX password: NEWPASSWORD <enter>
Retype new UNIX password: NEWPASSWORD <enter>
Passwd: password updated successfully

Now again for root
sudo passwd root <enter>
Enter new UNIX password: NEWPASSWORD <enter>
Retype new UNIX password: NEWPASSWORD <enter>
Passwd: password updated successfully

CHANGE HOSTNAME, INTERFACES, and LOCALIZATION
I like to change the Hostname and set up the basics here.
From the main menu go to [preferences][Raspberry Pi Configuration]
On the System tab enter the new Hostname (RPi-HGvxx)
Unclick Logon as Pi user (good security practice)

Click to the Interfaces tab
Click enable SSH.
This allows text terminal access from another computer using PuTTY.  I use this to install additional programs like Homegenie.

Click on Localization
Click on each of the buttons and make needed changes to localize the RPi board.

Click OK, The RPi will ask if reboot now?
Click OK to reboot

SETTING FIXED IP ADDRESS
I like fixed IP addresses where servers are involved.  I currently have my internet router set to allow 64 DHCP addresses.  With the proliferation of smart devices, I may need to expand this.  With fixed IP addresses I don’t need to log into the router and look up a device IP address.  Routers, VOIP, and infrastructure devices (UPSs, PDUs, and Server IO boards take up a few IP addresses.  There is still plenty in a 255 subnet.
On the main menu bar, right click on the network icon.  You should see a menu option for Wireless and Wired Network Settings.  Click on this.

On the popup select [eth0]

Unclick Automatically configure empty options

For now, click on disable IPv6

Enter IPv4 address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Enter Router xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  (this is the gateway)
Enter DNS Server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (this can be the gateway or an external DNS)
Enter DNS Search xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Click Apply

Note on WIFI – I have as a practice used DHCP addresses for WIFI.  Because devices that use WIFI tend to be mobil and may access multiple networks.  However, in the case of RPi a fixed address can be used for WIFI in a set location.

Reboot the RPi, either from the main menu on the local screen or from a terminal session enter:

Sudo reboot now

UPDATING Raspian Stretch.
Note: as a simple explanation, Linux is a collection of packages, libraries, and lots of code.  Often a new or revision of a package will use the most recent libraries.  If your copy of Raspian is not current, package installers will get fussy.  So, update and upgrade before installing new packages.

In a terminal session on the local machine or through SSH (PuTTY)
Login as pi
Enter the following.  At points you will be asked to answer y.n.  Y<enter>

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Now Raspian is running on the most recent releases.

ADDING RASPIAN PACKAGES
Adding a file manager-I like Midnight Commander as a quick and dirty way to move around Linux in a terminal session.  Old school.  It can copy files to/from a thumb drive.  Edit files on the fly.

Go to main menu select [Preferences][Add/Remove Software]
In the search box enter mc<enter>

Select Midnight Commander

Click on Apply

RPi will ask for your password and then install.
On the main menu an option will appear [System Tools] hover on that and MC will show.

(MC can also be installed in a terminal session much faster with
sudo apt-get install mc
)

Adding XRDP-this little gem allow access to the RPi using Remote Desktop Connector in Windows <Windows Accessories><Remote Desktop Connector>.  I just use the IP address to connect.

In a terminal remove realvnc (not a fan of VNC anyway)

sudo apt-get purge realvnc-vnc-server

Add

sudo apt-get install xrdp

At this point the RPi can be accessed in either GUI mode or TTY without a monitor or keyboard connected.

CLONING A BASE IMAGE
I like to save an image clone with passwords, IP addresses, et al.  This way, I do not need to go back to the beginning and start all over if I screw up (which I do often).

With Windows Explorer create a folder to save your images.  Do not put folders in One Drive as the images are 32GB.  C:\MyImages is fine.

Start Win 32 Disk Imager <Image Writer> on the windows main menu.

Insert a SD Card.

(Used cards will cause a format popup.  Do not format.  The best practice is to use <Windows Administrative Tools><Computer Management><Disk Management> to delete partitions and create one new volume.)
Follow the instructions link for CLONING BACKUPS
Under the Image File box, click on the little folder to navigate to your MyImages folder.  Create a meaningful image name, like RPi-Base 20180121 (YYYY,MM,DD).

Click open

Win 32 Disk Imager should have auto detected your SD Card at this point.  You are ready to copy.

Click Read.

Cloning takes a while, so good time for a break with your favorite beverage.

HOMEGENIE SETUP
Insert a SD Card into your RPi with the base image.  Power up.
You should be able to log into RPi with SSH to complete the following steps.
This a copy of the instructions from the HomeGenie web site.  Currently there is a V1.1.15 that I cannot get to work.  Use r526 as below.  It works for me.

https://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/#/get_started

wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.1-beta.526/homegenie-beta_1.1.r526_all.deb
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade (I added this)

sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

cd Downloads

sudo gdebi homegenie_1.1.15_all.deb

At a point you will be asked to answer y.n.  Y<enter>

Homegenie should be up and running.

From a terminal, using top.  HG will show as main.

HomeGenie will be installed in the /usr/local/bin/homegenie folder. Once installed, HomeGenie UI can be opened by entering the following URL in your web browser: http://<linux_box_address>/ (where <linux_box_address> is the name or ip of the host where homegenie is installed). -Gene

With the base configuration as above, HomeGenie will bind to port 80.  I use the IP address in browser.  It will change to this when connecting:
  http://IPaddress/hg/html/index.html

For me, Windows Edge, Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox all work just fine with HG on an RPi.  (I had a lot of browser trouble with HG on Windows.

USING HOMEGENIE

The Homegenie web site has documentation on set up and use.  I will cover some of the things I do and a perspective to mentally translate from AHP to HG.
https://genielabs.github.io/HomeGenie/#/about

SETUP
Top left corner is Configuration, click on it.  In the drop down click on Settings.

Click on the plus sign to disable UP&P and ZWave.  (Not using now)

Click on the plus sign to Enable X10.  For me both the CM15 and CM11 /w a USB to Serial convertor work.  Use the drop down to select the type on PLC interface.

Click on the House Codes you need. (These will show up through out HG as you set up)

Optional – click on the plus sign for Weather Underground, click on options.  Enter options locations, language, key.  Note:  there is an issue here with WG.  It sends data as selected on WG in metric or imperial units for temperature only.  All other metrics are only sent in metric form.  Other weather services do the same, Dark Sky….  It would be nice if HG did the conversion in the widget but does not do this now.

I handle all IR sensors through TM751 and R501 modules, so I don’t use any of the HG set ups for sensors.  The PLC comes through to the interface and acts on these as any other command.

MAINTENACE
There is a bunch of stuff here, I will cover three that are important to me for starting with HG.

Location - Set the location for latitude and longitude (in decimal format).  This sets the variables @SolarTimes.Sunrise and @SolarTImes.Sunset These variables are case sensitive and remember the little DOT.

Log File – Downloading the log file is a pain.  In Linux there must be as many ways as there are users to list the log file.  I use MC in SSH as a quick and dirty way to look at it.  MC will start in the Pi subfolder.  Go up to the root directory.  Keep clicking until you get to /usr/local/bin/homegenie/log.  There you will see homegenie.log. F3 to open.  <END> to see the last entries. F10 to exit.  If I am troubleshooting, this method is much easier.  Just leave SSH open with MC running.  BTW – HG poops out a lot of stuff in the log file.

Configuration and Data – this creates a back up and restore of you set up.  Like the runtime file in AHP.  When you click on Backup, it will download a file to your /Downloads directory on the local PC.  To restore, just click restore and select the backup file.  HG will then restore all your hard work.  Moreover, if your backup before adding new HG packages, you can revert to you original save point if you find that a HG package is not what you want.

Configure/Groups and Modules is like the left-hand bar in AHP.  Add groups like AHP rooms.  Now HG is not too fussy about groups and module names.  However, the voice control is.  Names like Jims big lts does not register well – Jims big lights will.

Scheduler – functionally Scheduler is the same as setting up timers in AHP.  It takes some getting use to.  Name format is important, no spaces, words can be separated by DOTS.  When I create a new item, I use the Custom Cron Expression Event Type.  Clicking through the steps in the lower left corner just works better for me this way.  The variables @SolarTimes.Sunrise and @SolarTimes.Sunset are invaluable here.  You can also do some math like @SolareTImes.Sunrise-60 to control something an hour before sunrise.  Don’t be afraid – just delete.

Programs – This is like Macros in AHP.  Although HG does not enforce this, I use the no spaces, DOT format here for names.  I don’t use the auto recorder.  Point and click triggers and program in the editor works for me.  I will digress here a little.  For IR Sensors I create a room in Groups and then add modules for each sensor.  Just leave as a switch, does not matter.  All this does is associate a name with the house/unit codes.  In the Program pane you can set up modules to turn on/off/dim.  I must have hyper active electrons here that make a lot of noise, so I add a Pause (0) in between each step to give the PLC transmission a little extra quite time.  Since, in my case all IR sensors come through PLC, I trigger from the module set up in the sensor room.  Time window can be added as well using either set times or @SolarTimes.

WRAP-UP

Remember to backup your hard work in HG.

Also, making a clone of the SD Card is worthwhile.  These take 32GB each, so disk space can get gobbled up fast.

Use sudo apt-get update and upgrade before installing new Raspian packages.

Currently, I am only using HomeGenie for X10 control.  By comparison to AHP, it is like walking through a door to a whole new world.  I just don’t know what the processing limitations on an RPi are for all these new features.  HG has some inter HG communication feature that I want to check out, that will allow multiple RPis to run segments of the overall HA process.

Of the many HA programs out, HomeGenie is probably most like AHP.  Some of the HA programs start with a blank screen staring at you (no eye balls).  Also, HG is one of the few that has X10 natively.  Most of the other require either Heyu or Mochad.

I like the Android version of HG.  It is only a couple of bucks on Google Play.  The app allows selective viewing of modules.  It works.   Unfortunately, there is not an iPhone app (yet)

HomeGenie was overall developed by one person who has more or less walked away.  There were other people involved directly and indirectly.  I just don’t know how much.  There are some YouTube videos with a woman’s voice and Brit accent, that unless Gene used a computer voice control is not him.  There is a gap, like AHP.  Gene left.  Two guys have been carrying HG for the last year or so.  Recently a few more people with skills have jumps on board, so maybe there is a future.

In my mind, nobody has a lock on HA, so these programs can coexist and grow.  Amazon is certainly filling out the space rapidly.  One question is how much dependence on cloud computing do we want to have?  My answer is, no matter how much Amazon does, human entropy will always have a group that want to go another direction.   Nice to have some options.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 06:56:12 AM »

How about the ability to monitor real-world variables like temperature with an external module?  That can be used to control HVAC systems and irrigation like I do with the Ocelot.

This should be possible. There are already ESP8266-enabled sensors. For example...
https://wiki.wemos.cc/products:d1_mini_shields:sht30_shield

To see ESP8266 capabilities...
https://www.espressif.com/en/media_overview/news/latest-version-kolbans-book-esp8266
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 07:04:26 AM »

However I doubt that could be done via a firmware update at least with any decent range.

At minimum, an RF antenna and receiver would be needed. The ST MCU might be a better choice for preprocessing RF input. It's impossible to say more without a schematic.

HA Dave

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 07:05:03 AM »

Very impressive write-up! Should be helpful for anyone looking at Homegenie.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2018, 09:20:18 AM »

How about this solar powered Temperature, Barometric Pressure & Humidity station?
https://github.com/TheAustrian/Wemos-D1-Mini-BME280-Weather-Station

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 12:57:37 PM »

It occurs to me that this also can be solved simply without any hardware modification to the WM100. An ESP8266 (e.g. WeMos D1 mini) paired with an RF receiver can interface with security sensors as well as PalmPads, etc. relaying the data to the WM100 via WiFi.

The same concept can be used to interface nearly anything with the WM100.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:06:38 PM by dhouston »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.