Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 3rd shipment?  (Read 10513 times)

VinRin57

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
3rd shipment?
« on: February 16, 2018, 02:27:14 PM »

As many or all of you, I've waited about 2 years (some longer )for the Wi-Fi module. A long road of ups and downs, but it's here! And I`d think we all want Authinx to do well. They are now into batch 3.  Anyone know how many sold? Probably private company with private figures, but just curious?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: 3rd shipment?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 02:49:09 PM »

The greatest WAF moment I ever got... was when my wife spoke to Alexa.... and Alexa controlled the lights for her. BTW.... it was Christmas music "on demand" that sold the wife on Alexa.

The other day.... I added the WM100 app to the wife's phone. She was really happy to see the entire house broke-down into rooms.... with all off and all on buttons. She now feels in complete control of the homes automation.... maybe for the 1st time,

I currently control my X10 through Alexa using a Homeseer device (thanks to fernracer). I think adding Alexa and Google control to X10 would be the best thing X10 could do for their bottom-line... and our security in having a strong source of X10 product.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »

As many or all of you, I've waited about 2 years (some longer )for the Wi-Fi module. A long road of ups and downs, but it's here! And I`d think we all want Authinx to do well. They are now into batch 3.  Anyone know how many sold? Probably private company with private figures, but just curious?
You can try to estimate visiting the google store and seeing how many downloaded apps(100 - 500)
I'm not sure if Apple has something simular for an install counter
Given many have placed this on at least two or three devices I'd cut those numbers in half.

The Owner of Authinx flew in the first two batches I know. I suspect these wouldn't have been very large maybe a hundred or two.
I'm not sure if this third shipment is the shipment sent by boat or another air shipment.
I suspect the number sold thus far to be about 200-500
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

VinRin57

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »

Yup, I saw the d/l numbers at the play store and thought along the same lines.  No such count at Apple.  Thinking that if they do well, there would be incentive to expand. Just my .02.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »

But even if you posit a $50 gross profit per unit, $50*500=$25,000, that's not enough to keep Authinx's lights on for very long.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »

We used to have similar discussions (chats) in the Home Automation Chat Room.

It all boils down to.... how many of us are there. Is the number of HA users in the hundreds? Are we numbered in the thousands? Or could the actual number of home automation users number in the tens-of-thousands? I would guess that traditionally... the answers are Yes, yes, and yes.

Many of the serious HA users... know who many of the others are. There are a few hundred serious automation enthusiasts. We are a niche market IMHO.

Thousands have incorporated HA products to solve a problem, or issue with security, or accessibility. These issues (again, IMHO) are usually associated with an architectural/electrical issue or a health/mobility issue.

Like so many other products... HA products have a tourist market. Lots (tens of thousands) of people visit... very few decide to move in and live here.

Right now... is a unique time in HA. With the advent of 3 giant corporations invested in AI HA technology... the HA tourists number in the MILLIONS. That is where the money is. Not us (niche) serious users. Not the (thousands) of people with a tiny set-up so Grandpa can turn on inside lights with a remote so he won't fall with his walker.

Who knows how many of the millions of Alexa and Google home users will want to add lights and electronics control to their music and calendar automation. I don't know. But the vast number of possible customers is unheard of in most markets.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:25:47 AM by HA Dave »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »

From a 1999 article by Dave Rye...
Today X10 has an installed base of over 100 million units
https://www.hometoys.com/content.php?url=/htinews/oct99/articles/rye/rye.htm
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 08:49:24 AM »

In today's paper I saw a big ad from Lennar home builders who have housing developments in many areas of the country.  They are partnering with Amazon to include HA as part of the build with Amazon techs coming to the home to set things up and train the buyers.  If this is adopted by more builders then perhaps we'll finally see HA go mainstream.

Read this for more:    http://investors.lennar.com/news/2017/06-14-2017

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:02 PM »

From a 1999 article by Dave Rye...

Nice piece. And like I said.... lots of automation tourists out there.

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »

In today's paper I saw a big ad from Lennar home builders who have housing developments in many areas of the country.  They are partnering with Amazon to include HA as part of the build with Amazon techs coming to the home to set things up and train the buyers.  If this is adopted by more builders then perhaps we'll finally see HA go mainstream.

When the cable company began advertising Home Automation I was convinced that was the beginning of "monthly fee home automation". I thought for sure the cable techs would make my install/setup look amateurish. But cable HA... didn't pan out.

I am still confident that things like Amazon AI Echo devices will attract huge numbers of people to HA. How many will be tourist and how many will make HA a lifestyle..... I don't know.

thpmoson12

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »

I am still confident that things like Amazon AI Echo devices will attract huge numbers of people to HA. How many will be tourist and how many will make HA a lifestyle..... I don't know.
[/quote]

I say overtime the majority will make it a lifestyle. I think it's going to really start blooming so X10 needs to get on with Alexa while the gettin's good.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »

25000 registered users of this very site.
I would guess 90+% to be mostly inactive - but still a possible marketing venue for Authinx if they pull the email list.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 04:16:25 PM »

I say overtime the majority will make it a lifestyle. I think it's going to really start blooming so X10 needs to get on with Alexa while the gettin's good.
[/quote]

Agree. When you look at the proliferation of 'automation' devices from a myriad of manufacturers, X10 stands a great chance of becoming a go-to again if they get on the bandwagon. I think lots of folks are just now finding out about HA with the advent of the likes of Alexa, etc....and just look at all to IoT connected devices that are wowing people because they 'never heard of such technology'.

Those of us who have been using X10 or any PLC HA for that matter since the 70's are needing to learn new tricks as well, but we're well positioned to take advantage of the boost.

I for one, will be awhile before adopting a speaker that will listen to me argue with my wife and order flowers for me....but lots of people thing it's the next best thing to sliced bread.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »

.... I for one, will be awhile before adopting a speaker that will listen to me argue with my wife and order flowers for me....

Stop arguing with the wife (she's always right anyway) and you won't need to order flowers. :)

I am an old man and shocked that so many here are concerned about Amazon listening in to them... when we all know it's Google that does that..  rofl

Every aspect of peoples lives are spied on... every phone call deconstructed into metadata. I posted a picture of my long-deceased father on facebook... and their face recognition software identified him. There isn't enough people in the world to spy on all the people in the world. The spying is being performed by machines... software algorithms... that rate and compare. The ultimate desire of government is to control the population. The goal of business is to monetize the knowledge. And just Like a nosey neighbor that knows my business and willingly shares any gossip that can be gleamed.....
it does me no real harm. I'll save my fears and concerns for things that deserve fear and concern.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:13:45 PM by HA Dave »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 04:22:22 AM »

I'll save my fears and concerns for things that deserve fear and concern.

The Zombie Apocalypse is nigh  rofl
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.