Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 3rd shipment?  (Read 10755 times)

tflemer

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: 3rd shipment?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 04:24:57 AM »

A little off topic, but I will get to the point.  I have an Acurite Weather System.  A few months ago, they sent an email offering a new smart hub, “Acurite Access” for $39.  Significantly less than retail. I bit (bought).  Last week, Acurite sent another email saying the current (old) smart hub will be at EOL in August 2018.  I guess, this is a bamboozle bargain.  There are people who recently purchased their product and now are being told that they need to buy yet another hub.  Not happy.  In my case the (old) smart hub was purchased about 7 years ago.  Not so unhappy.

So, I have watched the release of the X10 WIFI module with some reservation.  About 10 years ago, I bought a few pieces of Insteon kit, thinking that was the way to go.  I got the WIFI unit to work with an iPhone.  In hind sight, I could have done more with it, but let’s see $50 for a $35 X10 wall switch.  Hand controller that looked like a 70’s cell phone.  I decided to cut my losses and dumped the small lot.  Here I am today, a “Smarthome” with an IQ of 80.  I have XPS3 switches in every wall plate, and most of the portable lights are plugged into appliance modules.  With AHP running, lights can be easily scheduled.  Moreover, with IR sensors, lights can be controlled by activity.  However, to me this is not intelligence, it is just robotics.

What is home intelligence?  Lately, I cannot even consider the question.  The last few months have been primarily dedicated to making X10 more robust.  Chasing noise and signal suckers.  Buying a Raspberry Pi and testing replacements for AHP, so I can move on.  Adding Phillips Hue in a couple of rooms may not add intelligence but could greatly enhance ambiance.  Adding smart thermostats would be a good step.  How can a X10 WIFI module help realize these objectives?  I like the X10 WIFI module, I just don’t see it helping me raise the intelligence of my home.  Almost all the new HA programs have mobile access and a lot more.

To the point, I spent the money on a smart hub for my weather system.  I still need to consider what products will add intelligence.  A X10 WIFI hub is not in that picture for me.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 04:45:08 AM »

Currently the WM100 and app aren't much more then a fancy remote.
This is not what Authinx wants this module to be. :)% Luckily this has an upgradable firmware so many enhancements can be added without a major hardware redesign.
This Hub is in its early stages of growth and I've seen two firmware updates thus far and I suspect will see several more before the end of the year.
All shipments are the same hardware design and from the same production run I'm told.
Although the WM100 doesn't add much as far as intelligence currently, I expect that to change once Authinx sees where Users expect this to go.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 05:01:31 AM »

A little off topic, but I will get to the point. ....So, I have watched the release of the X10 WIFI module with some reservation............. Here I am today, a “Smarthome” with an IQ of 80.  ........ lights can be easily scheduled.... lights can be controlled by activity.  However, to me this is not intelligence, it is just robotics.

What is home intelligence? ...... 

What a great post tflemer. I love these deep, thoughtful posts! If you notice my tag lines (bottom of my post... in blue), you'll see I agree there is much more ahead for HA. You may be slightly visionary in your views of what HA can and should do... and that's GREAT. Right now I think what brings most people to HA is a desire for "control". Like yourself... I think... my desire is to free myself of control over the repetitive mundane functions around the home. And to find new ways for my automation products/services to improve my lifestyle for me.

We should have an IQ test for our automation setups. I wonder... how smart my home might be? Thanks for posting!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 05:25:34 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:30 AM »

What is home intelligence?    I still need to consider what products will add intelligence.  A X10 WIFI hub is not in that picture for me.   
Playing with home automation since early '80s, my definition is a home that "makes decisions". In other words; use of conditionals and other inputs to make decisions.

e.g. Motion sensor picks up movement at your front porch and the HA system "asks questions" and makes decisions.

1. Is it daylight or dark? Dark= turn on porch light.
2. Are occupants home or away? Occupants home=ring chime. Occupants away=set high security flag and check back yard motion sensor for trigger.
3. If dark, and occupants are home, are occupants up or in bed? If occupants are up, turn on front door entry light. If occupants in bed=turn on porch speaker and read warning text to porch speaker.
etc.
So it requires a computer or a stand alone controller that can use conditionals. You are right, the WM100 can not do that at this stage of the game. The CM15A with AHP can, or small stand alone HA units like the Hometroller from Homeseer can.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »

Currently the WM100 and app aren't much more then a fancy remote.
This is not what Authinx wants this module to be. :)% Luckily this has an upgradable firmware so many enhancements can be added without a major hardware redesign.
This Hub is in its early stages of growth and I've seen two firmware updates thus far and I suspect will see several more before the end of the year.
All shipments are the same hardware design and from the same production run I'm told.
Although the WM100 doesn't add much as far as intelligence currently, I expect that to change once Authinx sees where Users expect this to go.
 >!

With the 20-30Vpp PLC, the WM100 already addresses the biggest problem with all earlier X10 PLC transmitters. And, the rather brainy hardware (i.e. ESP8266 plus an ST MCU with 8KB of external flash) has enormous potential. Here's hoping they make good use of all that potential.

For example, the ESP8266 can do everything it does now plus, simultaneously, acting as a hub for a few other WiFi modules.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:52:41 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 11:52:28 AM »

A little off topic, but I will get to the point.  I have an Acurite Weather System.  A few months ago, they sent an email offering a new smart hub, “Acurite Access” for $39.  Significantly less than retail. I bit (bought).  Last week, Acurite sent another email saying the current (old) smart hub will be at EOL in August 2018.  I guess, this is a bamboozle bargain.  There are people who recently purchased their product and now are being told that they need to buy yet another hub.  Not happy.  In my case the (old) smart hub was purchased about 7 years ago.  Not so unhappy.

So, I have watched the release of the X10 WIFI module with some reservation.  About 10 years ago, I bought a few pieces of Insteon kit, thinking that was the way to go.  I got the WIFI unit to work with an iPhone.  In hind sight, I could have done more with it, but let’s see $50 for a $35 X10 wall switch.  Hand controller that looked like a 70’s cell phone.  I decided to cut my losses and dumped the small lot.  Here I am today, a “Smarthome” with an IQ of 80.  I have XPS3 switches in every wall plate, and most of the portable lights are plugged into appliance modules.  With AHP running, lights can be easily scheduled.  Moreover, with IR sensors, lights can be controlled by activity.  However, to me this is not intelligence, it is just robotics.

What is home intelligence?  Lately, I cannot even consider the question.  The last few months have been primarily dedicated to making X10 more robust.  Chasing noise and signal suckers.  Buying a Raspberry Pi and testing replacements for AHP, so I can move on.  Adding Phillips Hue in a couple of rooms may not add intelligence but could greatly enhance ambiance.  Adding smart thermostats would be a good step.  How can a X10 WIFI module help realize these objectives?  I like the X10 WIFI module, I just don’t see it helping me raise the intelligence of my home.  Almost all the new HA programs have mobile access and a lot more.

To the point, I spent the money on a smart hub for my weather system.  I still need to consider what products will add intelligence.  A X10 WIFI hub is not in that picture for me.   

All very relevant points.

The hardware(in this case x10) just does what it's told by the software. AHP really is on its last legs and I completely understand users reluctance to give it up after investing a lot of time and energy into it.

The intelligence with HA comes from the software. I looked into Domoticz recently as an example and had it up and running my complete x10 setup on a Raspberry Pi3 in no time. Believe me, this software looks very promising indeed. It's completely Open Source so no big outlays here. Here's the link to the forum for anyone interested https://www.domoticz.com/forum/index.php?sid=309f855192ab21fe09636d543fd43bd0

So much "smart" technology has come and gone in the last five years and so much more will follow the same route. Forty three years later and we still have x10 doing what it does best, on/off, brighten/dim.

The Raspberry Pi and other single board computers are the ultimate hubs. Units you can customise for your own use and have x10 do whatever you like without depending on third party servers. It's what's known in the industry as an "embedded solution".

A bit of time, energy and patience is all that is required here. Once you master it your x10 setup won't know what hit it. it's AHP on steroids and more.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 12:03:52 PM »

The Raspberry Pi and other single board computers are the ultimate hubs. Units you can customise for your own use and have x10 do whatever you like without depending on third party servers. It's what's known in the industry as an "embedded solution".

A bit of time, energy and patience is all that is required here. Once you master it your x10 setup won't know what hit it. it's AHP on steroids and more.

In one of my first posts after the WM100 arrived I suggested Authinx should become a Raspberry Pi distributor and release a Pi preprogrammed with a Windows 10 IoT Core application to interact with the WM100. I still think that's a good idea.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:24 PM »

In one of my first posts after the WM100 arrived I suggested Authinx should become a Raspberry Pi distributor and release a Pi preprogrammed with a Windows 10 IoT Core application to interact with the WM100. I still think that's a good idea.

A little risky tying into a particular manufacturer bearing in mind the rate of development these days. This beast is the new kid on the block and will comfortable run a 64bit operating system. The specs are mind blowing for its size. This or a laptop......a no brainer answer really https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 01:17:53 PM »

...... AHP really is on its last legs and I completely understand users reluctance to give it up after investing a lot of time and energy into it.

rofl  What can we say..... we're old and set in our ways.  :)%  Some guys here have built awesome setups using a CM15A and X10 software (and HA PC's running 24/7). The loss of X10 servers was devastating for many of us. Now the idea of completely rebuilding isn't something most would look forward to.

....Forty three years later and we still have x10 doing what it does best, on/off, brighten/dim.

Heck... I rarely even use "dim" functions with lighting. But.... lighting has become much less of what we use/need HA to do.

I've been looking at running Homegenie on my new Raspberry Pi 3. I am still new to Pi, Raspbian, Linux, and/or Python.... and I am still horribly inept. Thank you for the link. I saved it and will browse through the posts. I failed at getting HG to run for me (so far). I'll see what I can do with Domoticz. Does it also use a CM15A as an X10 interface?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 02:44:46 PM »

I agree.  The CM15 is at the end.

I dim my front barn lights to 67% at night. They come up to 100% with motion. This is based on a conditional macro. Also, the path to the bathroom lights up to 75% after midnight upon motion.

We need a Hub that can read other sensors. Humidity, temperature,  time, water levels. This hub should have a Web interface, not an app. Logic should be stored in the hub, not the cloud. The Web interface should work via the Internet AND the intranet. We need an IR interface.

I'm seriously thinking a plug computer and XTB 523 with Dallas 2-wire is the solution.

Why have an app when a Web page will do the same, if the only purpose of the app is programming?

Voice control is important,  so is audible feedback, whether it be spoken or a chime or sound.

PIR motion sensors are great, but the X10 variety have lagged behind. DS modules are great, but I think the numbers top out at 32. Every closet door in my house has one. The CM15 used to turn on the closet lights.

Washing machines talk to hubs. Dryers do. Dishwashers do. Sometimes they all talk to Alexa, which can respond accordingly.  We need a hub for that. Got a water leak in the basement? I want to know on my phone, but I want the main valve to close and the water heater to shut off till I get home.  Smoke alarm goes off? I want pics from where in the house it tripped. I want the other alarms going off. I want my porch lights to flash to signal the FD.

I'm a homebuilder. I'm a remodeller. I'm a firefighter. I live in a rural area. I'm a farmer and gone 20 out of 24 hours a day during the spring and fall. I need to know what's going on at my castle when I'm not there, and I need an intelligent servant to take charge and inform me.

I don't need another remote control. I need automation. (See below)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »

I agree.  The CM15 is at the end.

I had Tuicemen send me the AHP code last week. There's a massive amount of files. It looks like an HD dump.
I can't / haven't even been able to sort through it yet, but every test from the simplest interface is there. There's code from other projects like remote control codes.

I thought "if I can only find the parts that communicate to the CM, including upload functions, I'll just rebuild the interface."  I can't even find it (yet). It's a mess. I'm not going to lie. It's a mess.

Given the age of the cypress processor, it's not worth the trouble, but others have looked at the same pile and I think they came to this conclusion 4 years ago.  There are certain DLLs that were used for unrelated things. Instead of making this modular, they just kept adding to it, duplicating efforts and dragging junk from other projects along.

My thoughts then turned to writing AHP for the Willie 100, but then found out it uses Amazon's cloud service. There are problems with that that I won't delve into. I could live with the WM100 and an add-on WM/RF, if they will talk to each other.

The problem is we just don't need bulky computers eating up 500 watts of power 24/7 anymore. I also don't need 100 5 watt hubs and/or Pi's doing the same.
I also don't need an app on my phone running all the time. That drains my battery. I need a hub that pushes notifications or sends sms alerts.

I need a new level of automation that goes beyond turning things off or on. Voice boxes are cool and can do much, and I can live with the Echo and a light switching hub, but I need more.

When you think about it, my home router is a hub. We already have light bulbs that work directly with the WiFi, no hub required, which has me thinking, "Do I really need a middle man to talk to my lights?"

If that hub were to support logic and cross platform technology, I could live with feeding it 5 or 10 watts every hour.

Right now, I'm doing alot of soul searching.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »

P.S. I can see replacing every switchplate in my house with a cheap tablet. Have it emulate a KeyPadLink. I loved those things when they supported X10. Have it pageable.  The home page could be lights in the room. Swipe right for environmentals. Swipe left for security.  Swipe again to see camera feeds. Swipe again for other rooms in the house.

I used to think LCARS was cool, but now realize the HAL/SAL 9000 series was more of what I need. The video screens scrolled themselves. The 9000s listened and watched.

Gentlemen, we have the technology.  We can build it better, stronger, faster.

The time was 10 years ago, but WTI was more concerned with rebranding tablets and partying. Authinx picked up what was left, and quite understandably had a stumbling block or two, which again, I won't delve into.

Hopefully Willie 100 is one small step for control which will lead to one giant leap for automation.

If we can open this up and make it more usefull, maybe we can go from jogging to sprinting.

Godspeed X10.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 04:01:59 PM »

...However, to me this is not intelligence, it is just robotics.....

What is home intelligence?  Lately, I cannot even consider the question. 

We want Domotics, not more robtics.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 04:11:41 PM »

................. I need a new level of automation that goes beyond turning things off or on. Voice boxes are cool and can do much, and I can live with the Echo and a light switching hub, but I need more.

Right now, I'm doing alot of soul searching.......

...... Gentlemen, we have the technology.  We can build it better, stronger, faster.

I apologize for butchering your posts to extract only the points I want to address.

But on those points (that I extracted) I believe we are of a like mind. By biting the bullet and shutting down my HA PC ... I've forced myself to address a re-do.... what I am calling a re-imagining of my HA setup. Shutting down the running laptop virtually murdered Kate (the Kate 16 bit computer voice). It was tough... we don't talk anymore... not even a text. My talking home was my favorite part of my setup.

It is actually an old management tool. When you build a business to it's apex... captured from the market all you can.... sometimes you have to destroy your processes and methods and start over. But destruction without a rebuilding plan.... has been emotionally difficult.

I am seriously looking at a single Raspberry Pi running some sort of HA software. I could create and entire back-up with back-ups for the parts and pieces as well. A working setup could function for years. And don't undermine the Pi's they're plenty powerful enough.

But what about the "New Ideas" for home automation. How about todo lists that can modify themselves based on weather, or season, or BOTH.

I've only recently (last few months) began turning to music through Amazon instead of background "noise" from a TV. I am thinking of establishing playlists.

And maybe more reminders that could help guide me towards a healthier and fuller lifestyle (think of the compass function in day planners).

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:38 PM »

When I lost my ability to run 3 cm15s at once, I regressed my automation to rudimentary timers and remotes. I gave up at one point. I bought "New" xp machines, but my dot net was incompatible with life jacket, so gave up again. Can't get dot net 4 for xp.

I got AHP running on 10, but couldn't revert the HD Vol ID without it breaking AHP again. I leaned heavily on the DS10/12s as taught to me by a guy that installed one on his recliner.

I had hoped the WM would replace the CM, and we could migrate our AHX files to it. There's a hardware mismatch that puts that out of the question.

I like PI, but not sure I want to jump into it for the sake of automation. I may jump on PI and Linux and stop funding the 1st National Bank of Gates, but rely on accounting software and other things that only work on windows.

I've spent too much time blowing the rust off my programming skills this winter, and was on a roll till a look at the inner workings let the wind out of my sails.

There's too much profit taking between Jobs and Gates and the Open Source  Underground.   I can even port my android apps to my brothers  apple phones without paying Jobs a subscription fee to do so.

I believe your software should be a selling point for your hardware, and think the fruit might be getting a little stale.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.