Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 3rd shipment?  (Read 10511 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: 3rd shipment?
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

The simplest way to get the folks on board with HomeGenie or anything new HA wise on the Raspberry Pi is to create a preconfigured image that can just be dropped onto an SD card, popped into the Raspberry Pi and powered up.

tflemers write up is quite comprehensive but could scare off the uninitiated Linux wise. This image could include a basic x10 setup which could then be easily reconfigured to suit each individuals needs with a little help from others. In others words a plug and go solution until the user finds their way around the environment.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2018, 03:05:12 PM »

The simplest way to get the folks on board with HomeGenie or anything new HA wise on the Raspberry Pi is to create a preconfigured image that can just be dropped onto an SD card, popped into the Raspberry Pi and powered up.

tflemers write up is quite comprehensive but could scare off the uninitiated Linux wise. This image could include a basic x10 setup which could then be easily reconfigured to suit each individuals needs with a little help from others. In others words a plug and go solution until the user finds their way around the environment.

:)%  Exactly!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »

.........................The intelligence with HA comes from the software. I looked into Domoticz recently as an example and had it up and running my complete x10 setup on a Raspberry Pi3 in no time. Believe me, this software looks very promising indeed. It's completely Open Source so no big outlays here. Here's the link to the forum for anyone interested https://www.domoticz.com/forum/index.php?sid=309f855192ab21fe09636d543fd43bd0

You got my attention!

So I loaded NOOBS on a spare 16gig memory card... booted it up, and set preferences, rebooted and loaded domoticz. I've tried accessing the setup though the Pi's browser, and though my laptops browser (it has putty installed). No luck. I've looked for LAN setting... still can't find whatever it is I am missing. 

I am including the full address including :8080 (I don't know why it doesn't reflect that)

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:30 PM »

.........................The intelligence with HA comes from the software. I looked into Domoticz recently as an example and had it up and running my complete x10 setup on a Raspberry Pi3 in no time. Believe me, this software looks very promising indeed. It's completely Open Source so no big outlays here. Here's the link to the forum for anyone interested https://www.domoticz.com/forum/index.php?sid=309f855192ab21fe09636d543fd43bd0

You got my attention!

So I loaded NOOBS on a spare 16gig memory card... booted it up, and set preferences, rebooted and loaded domoticz. I've tried accessing the setup though the Pi's browser, and though my laptops browser (it has putty installed). No luck. I've looked for LAN setting... still can't find whatever it is I am missing. 

I am including the full address including :8080 (I don't know why it doesn't reflect that)

You got my attention!

Ok. Start fresh with your Noobs SD card with Raspbian. Nothing else on it. Cut and paste the following command into your Putty terminal session

curl -L install.domoticz.com | sudo bash

and press Return

Let it work away and when it completes using your web browser type the following in the address bar

192.168.1.112:8080

I'm assuming that 192.168.1.112 is the address of your Raspberry Pi and Port 8080 is accessible and running Domoticz.

HA Dave

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 01:41:19 AM »

Ok. Start fresh with your Noobs SD card with Raspbian. Nothing else on it. Cut and paste the following command into your Putty terminal session

curl -L install.domoticz.com | sudo bash

and press Return

Let it work away and when it completes using your web browser type the following in the address bar

192.168.1.112:8080

Putty terminal session? I didn't know anything about putty terminal. I just used the terminal right from the desktop bar. Other than that... I already did the same thing.

But, I can do/find that... by start fresh do you mean reformat the memory card.... or just do a "shift" recover to NOOBS?

Plus... maybe I should point out that accessing the program remotely isn't what I had in mind. I do that with Homeseer... I understand how it works. And I was also sort of expecting Domoticz to more or less "take over" the Pi and appear as the front (as HS does).... instead of the Raspbian desktop.

What I had hoped to do... was turn this Pi into a HA Pi... period. Directly accessed in my man cave via the 42" HD TV video source 3 (that part works fine). If this was a "Gates Machine" I'd put the program in start-up and be done with it. I am not fond of the idea of remote access by laptop... if I can sit in my chair with the BlueTooth keyboard and mouse and work direct. The program appears to all be all there (as if I'd really know).

I'm assuming that 192.168.1.112 is the address of your Raspberry Pi and Port 8080 is accessible and running Domoticz.

Yes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:45:18 AM by HA Dave »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 02:52:17 AM »

How do you access Homeseer.

I was thinking earlier,now that you have Homeseer surely it would make more sense to do all your x10 control from there. Have you created any x10 devices in Homeseer yet. Just let me know how far into Homeseer you are and I can help you create an x10 hub complete with events (macros as you know them from AHP) and anything else you need to know.

No need to worry about other HA systems if you have Homeseer up and running.

tflemer

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 03:22:16 AM »

First, I want to apologize for loosing focus on this thread.   So, if there is a way the moderator can move the RPi conversation to another thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

My position is that the WH100 will not help me today.  However, as to the future, there are in my mind significant possibilities.  Looking at WiFi vs USB is like iTunes vs Compact Discs (CDs).  From an Authinx perspective, the WH100 could add a lot of value for them and users.

1.    HADave mentioned new users.  Well X10 was great on creating small kits to get people started.  A WH100 and a couple of plugin lamp modules could not be simpler for today’s technology.
2.   WH100 location – a WH100 untethered and next to the mains cabinet would be great.  With WiFi who cares where or what is driving it.
3.   Geofencing – The 32 House/Unit code is a killer for me now.  If I had multiple WH100’s, say one in every room or enough to allow X,Y,Z positioning, these modules could add functionality to the HA landscape.  With multiple modules, is the 32-limit important?
4.   WH100 as an Access Point – Even in my very modest home, we have two APs.  Using mesh networking, the overhead as an access point could be manageable.  This would add significant user value.
5.   API layer – adding an API layer should not be an overhead burden to the module and would open up X10 devices to be inclusive in any HA system (Alexa, Samsung…Open Source).

I want to expand on Item 4, since there are many issues from a Authinx perspective.  If you think about it, AHP is almost like a dear friend.  However, I am guessing, like I did, for most people it was included with a discounted price on a CM15A.  Well in computer dog years, the CM15A is well past the normal life cycle.  Heck, some (many) of the companies in the HA space did not even exist when the CM15A was introduced.  So, raising AHP, not even considering the technical coding issues, is not a value-added way forward.  AHP is for the most part a closed ecosystem.  By adding an API, Authinx can sell hardware without having to develop and maintain competing software that is just thrown in for the price of the hardware.  I am not trying to tell Authinx how to run their business, just something to think about.  Maybe making millions is better than thousands.

Again, I am sorry.  Hopefully the moderator can correct my misplaced efforts.

HA Dave

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 03:35:42 AM »

...... No need to worry about other HA systems if you have Homeseer up and running.

I am sorry. I haven't meant to misrepresent myself... or my Home Automation setup.

I do have a complete X10 setup (and I have for years).... I recently shut-down the HA PC (an old XP laptop) I used to support the CM15A it worked with. The laptop also ran my [Voice Control] BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) Software. The BVC has only provided voice announcements since I've switched to voice control via Amazon's Alexa (with 3 Echo's). At first (before I got the Hometroller) I was limited in my control of devices. I added things like ihome which requires no hub, and Cree which I added a Wink hub to control. Also... I had to replace my garage door opener a couple years ago... and installed a MyQ with it's hub, app, and lighting module.

Of course now.... Alexa & Homeseer allows me to use one (of the 3) HS skills to control my X10 devices too. I think the newest HS skill is the most functional... but I've yet to try it (I am waiting to see it tests/works well for others).

Besides events in HS, I still have a couple macros in a CM15A, as well as cloud based timers in a couple other brands of devices, and I have one of the new WM100 X10 WiFi modules. Plus... of course.... I run routines through Alexa.

I understand "the everything in one basket" thought process. It's less confusing and easier to trouble-shoot. But... my cognitive skills seem to be holding up OK. And I like the idea of knowing what options are out here. There are thousands of X10 users and even more potential users. I'd like to do a little experimentation and find some solutions that may otherwise be missed.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:38:03 AM by HA Dave »

tflemer

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 05:13:51 AM »

What I had hoped to do... was turn this Pi into a HA Pi... period. Directly accessed in my man cave via the 42" HD TV video source 3 (that part works fine). If this was a "Gates Machine" I'd put the program in start-up and be done with it. I am not fond of the idea of remote access by laptop... if I can sit in my chair with the BlueTooth keyboard and mouse and work direct. The program appears to all be all there (as if I'd really know).

Understanding what you want to do helps a lot!  When you installed Domoticz did you happen see any messages Failed in red?  If so, we will go at that.

Since you are working directly on the console, you do not need the interface IP addresses.  Use the standard console IP Address:

http://127.0.0.1:8080

If that does not work, try the secure version.  I don’t think Domoticz needs it, but just to make sure:

https://127.0.0.1:8080

What do you see?  Is it a blank screen starring at you with no eye balls?

If no, you got the main page of Domoticz – have at it.

If Yes - I tried to find a way to uninstall a package using cURL,  Not really easy.  Starting a new is just faster.  Do what you did per petera.  However, after installing Raspian and before installing Domoticz do this

In a terminal.  Upper left corner of menu bar.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Now install Domoticz

Use:  http://127.0.0.1:8080

Even with Domoticz running, you can open a terminal session:

To see what is running

top or htop will show running services.  (my document editor keeps trying to capitalize the first letter of linux command.  By convention, linux command are all lower case)

Do you see it?

Now, for the networking – ifconfig is the same as ipconfig in Win.

If you are using DHCP for IP address assignment, the RPi will drop from ifconfig view if the not connected, which would explain why you are having trouble with the network IP address.  In the event you want to connect outside or need to update, just remember that the connection needs to be made in the RPi.  Also, for WiFi, the ssid is needed.  Click on the icon, upper right menu bar – you will see the rest to complete.

What do you see now?

Yes.

HA Dave

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 06:27:14 AM »

......Understanding what you want to do helps a lot!  When you installed Domoticz did you happen see any messages Failed in red?  If so, we will go at that.

Since you are working directly on the console, you do not need the interface IP addresses.  Use the standard console IP Address:

If that does not work, .....

Nope. Getting the same error as before. I know there must be something I don't know or understand. But I don't know what it is.

tflemer

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »

......Understanding what you want to do helps a lot!  When you installed Domoticz did you happen see any messages Failed in red?  If so, we will go at that.

If that does not work, .....

Nope. Getting the same error as before. I know there must be something I don't know or understand. But I don't know what it is.
[/quote]

HADAVE - it's not you.  I replicated your set up and got same results.  Looking at it now to see whatsup.  Started a new thread here:

X10 Community Forum >
General Home Automation >
Other Automation Systems >
Domoticz 2018-whatsup

Hope petera can jump over as well and help.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2018, 02:13:26 AM »

Maybe just to simplify matters. This is an X10 forum. Contributors use X10 and have done for years. It happened that AHP was the chosen platform to control X10. AHP is no longer developed and as a result, any of my suggestions/contributions were purely based on examining alternative platforms to assist users to continue to deploy their considerable investment in X10.

Of course there are far more exquisite and advanced technologies available on the market now but my contributions are purely based on helping those in any way I can to continue using X10 on more current platforms.

I have pointed a number of users in a particular direction, not to discourage their use of X10 rather to encourage it. >!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.