📱X10 WIFI > 🗯General Discussion

WM100 RPi3B companion

(1/6) > >>

Tuicemen:
As much as I like the RPi3B companion module idea, software that has the power of AHP likely wouldn't support the CM15 (at least not fully).
No one at Authinx or the factory has any knowledge of how it (CM15a) works internally.
X10WTI had problems keeping software programers and Authinx is no different. Many developers came and went during the WM100 developement. B:(

I believe any companion module needs to come with the protocol for the WM100.
The Open source community would utilize the full functionality of this far faster then any single X10 developer could.
  >!

dhouston:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 03, 2018, 11:35:10 PM ---As much as I like the RPi3B companion module idea, software that has the power of AHP likely wouldn't support the CM15 (at least not fully).

--- End quote ---
There's no need to use the CM15A for anything other than a PLC and RF interface. All the functions that were served internally by the CM15A can be internal to the RPi3B (which has tons more processing power and memory). That's the case with most of the current RPi X10 applications. And, adding the battery-backed RTC to the RPi3B addresses one of the current WM100 issues.

dhouston:
Yesterday, on Pi Day, the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ was introduced. It's faster, has faster Ethernet and adds Power -over-Ethernet support making it an even more attractive candidate for a WM100 companion module.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: dhouston on March 14, 2018, 08:21:54 PM ---......... making it an even more attractive candidate for a WM100 companion module. 
--- End quote ---

I certainly agree. Actually..... my Homeseer Hometroller is a RBPi that USB connects to a CM15A... just EXACTLY as you suggest (for using a CM15A with a Pi). But of course.... there is no reason I know of.... why the WM100 couldn't connect to a RBPi wirelessly. And for that matter... I'd think a driver could be developed so the Pi could accept/use the USB (firecracker or) CM19A and add RF to the WM100 wireless connection.

It's all about the software!

This can't be emphasized enough. I don't know who, if, or when there will be a HA protocol "winner" in the current growth spurt of HA products, manufactures, and protocols. As these company's (who don't prosper) cut staff, sell off inventory, or just lose their lease and close their doors.... software updates will stop and eventually even the Alexa "skills" will disappear. I THINK... I am describing or forecasting numerous mini old X10-like shut-downs.

The new X10 (and everyone else) should take steps to obsolete-proof new software. This could/would be most easily done using the Raspberry Pi and it's software infrastructure. X10 could release it's official version with all the bells and whistles for sale with a device/devices and still allow a groups of interested code writers to maintain and keep available an X10 for RBPi on the GitHub.

You are right on the spot with your idea dhouston.

dhouston:
I agree that it's ALL about the software.

In olden times X10 released APIs or Communications Protocols for the CP290 (both DOS & Windows) and the CM11A.  But, starting with the CM15A they maintained a tight chokehold on the hardware/firmware/software. While several hacker types were able to reverse engineer the PLC & RF protocols, it wasn't possible to do the same for macros & timers without knowing how the CM15A's memory is organized.

I would argue that Authinx has followed X10's CM15A model by trying to maintain tight control of the WM100 hardware/firmware/software. This led to some of the delays in releasing the product and has been the cause of most of the complaints from users post-release. I've yet to see anyone complain about the WM100 PLC signal level - all the complaints have to do with the software.

Had they released it with a Communications Protocol and a pass-through function, developers would have quickly added it to existing software running on multiple platforms. They would be the ones now solving things like DST, Timers, Macros, Scenes, etc. And they would be the ones fielding most user complaints while Authinx could sit back, relax and sell more hardware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version