Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WM100 RPi3B companion  (Read 6406 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: WM100 RPi3B companion
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »

I suspect it is just a matter of time before someone hacks the WM100 like they did with the CM15.
I actually started to look at this while the WM100 was in beta testing but stopped as nothing was set in stone.
Also Authinx has assured me several times the Protocol will be released.
It appears the WM100 uses the standard IOT way for initial connection and setup.
The app transmits the info from the QR code on every additional call.
Some additional security info has now been added as an old beta model I have, although initially connects with the new app, does not accept any additional info.
Using a tool like WireShark I'm sure the protocol can be sniffed out, many Wifi devices have been hacked this way.
There are several QR scanners available that will read the QR code and display the info require for initial connection.

Since the WM100 with a Upgradable firmware means the Protocol can change with every update, it maybe a while be for we see a published protocol. We may just see a hacked protocol published before an official one.

Yes once the protocol is out there and the "hackers" have it talking to the likes of the Raspberry Pi et al Authinx can concentrate on manufacturing and shifting units as any commercial enterprise would want to do.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »

This thread has got me thinking again about modifying a old CM15.
A PI Zero W will fit in the battery compartment of the CM15 (with some modifications).
I don't run batteries in my Cm15 as it is always connected to a PC and a PI is just a mini PC.
I've already ran a Cm15 from a Linux TV stick with less power then the Zero.
All my CM15 are the older type with daughter boards so the newer Cm15s would have more room inside the case.
The Zero W board is about $10 CAD.
The USB could possibly be hardwired together but I believe you'd need to externally power the PI.
I'm not sure if the newer CM15s have enough room inside to allow internally powering of the Zero. ::)
I had though of using just the Zero but then realized it didn't have WiFi B:(

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »

This thread has got me thinking again about modifying a old CM15......................
...........................I had though of using just the Zero but then realized it didn't have WiFi B:(

I still have my HA shelving setup.... only now.... instead of a full-sized PC plus a laptop..... or two laptops. I now just have a Pi... connected to a CM15A with a USB cable. I still have the old pre-amp centralized sound set-up... although it isn't running anything now-a-days.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »

I currently still run my Cm15 connected to my Windows PC though I have one connected to a Linux mini PC.
But nothing I have (yet) beats the foot print of my old TV stick setup.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:33:07 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »

.......... nothing I have (yet) beats the foot print of my old TV stick setup.

Looks sharp!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 05:41:58 AM »

.......... nothing I have (yet) beats the foot print of my old TV stick setup.

Looks sharp!
It would look much better with out all the excess cord.
I couldn't get Java 8 to load to it so I wasn't able to run HA-Bridge for Alexa control from it.
I figure a PI Zero connection will look a little cleaner and allow Alexa control.
Worse case, I'll still have the excess wire to tend with.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »

It would look much better with out all the excess cord. 

A knife and a soldering gun.... and those cords get as short as you'd like.

Or... just buy the 1 foot long USB cables at Amazon.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 07:00:30 PM »

A knife and a soldering gun.... and those cords get as short as you'd like.

Or... just buy the 1 foot long USB cables at Amazon.
True, though my attempts at shortening would look worse then the long wire runs.
I don't see short USB cables like those used for the CM15A any where. :(
found one https://www.buyapi.ca/product/usb-cable-6-standard-a-b/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 07:25:39 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »

I like your idea of mounting the two "together". A Pi case could easily be attached to a CM15A using double-sided foam mounting tape. That could reduce my HA equipment shelving.... to just an out-of-the-way outlet somewhere.

I access my [Homeseer] pi [Hometroller] remotely... via the internet (from my laptop) when making changes. The on-line remote access for Pi severs is pretty typical (as I understand it). Although with my "regular" Pi... I use it directly with a WiFi mouse/keyboard... and my 46" TV serving as the monitor. But... thinking about this.... I could even add the security camera server.... and mount everything to the back of a TV.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »

I like your idea of mounting the two "together". A Pi case could easily be attached to a CM15A using double-sided foam mounting tape. That could reduce my HA equipment shelving.... to just an out-of-the-way outlet somewhere.
I just used a wide elastic band but double sided tape would work as would a couple small nut and bolts through the two cases.
I plan to do that for my Off grid setup.
My Pi 3B+ arrived late this afternoon but I don't like the black case that came with it so I ordered a white one off Ebay for a buck. It should look nicer mounted to the CM15 as it is also thinner (at least it appears to be)  ::) :' .
I still plan to do a Pi Zero W add to my city CM15 this should fit inside the CM15.
I access my [Homeseer] pi [Hometroller] remotely... via the internet (from my laptop) when making changes. The on-line remote access for Pi severs is pretty typical (as I understand it).
I plan to do this as well for making changes with my off grid setup. I always take up my laptop anyways.
Although with my "regular" Pi... I use it directly with a WiFi mouse/keyboard... and my 46" TV serving as the monitor. But... thinking about this.... I could even add the security camera server.... and mount everything to the back of a TV.
this is how I had my Asus Eee Box (mini PC) hooked up behind the big screen TV.
It was running a weather station, HA with CM19 AHP and as a streaming box.
My son got us an Android TV box a few Christmases ago and my weather station died so my HA moved back to my development PC and I added Alexa control.
I loaded Linux to it to familiarize my self with the OS again.
Alexa control is the first thing I'll add to my PI most likely. I haven't decided what to do about streaming from it for the off grid place yet. Maybe just the web browser for now.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »

It has been a few months now since I put my Pi 3B+ into operation connected to the cm15 although this isn't a true WM100 companion module  it inspired me to do a CM15 mod with the Zero W. This still isn't a WM100 companion however more the WM100 has become a companion module for the CM15A Zero mod.
Both these Pis have been solid performers with the CM15. The WM100 is only used for remote access right now although it is possible to remote into the Pi boards.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.