Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: multiple simultaneous connections  (Read 4571 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
multiple simultaneous connections
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »

Ok, here's my issue. I have an old Samsung Galaxy tab 4  mounted to the wall. It reports as being connected, but doesn't reflect changes made by my phone or additional modules added or moved to rooms. I think this thing can't negotiate multiple simultaneous connections.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: multiple simultaneous connections
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:13 PM »

I've not had this issue if you do things in the tablet do they update in the phone?
One of the apps may need a reinstall.
If you go to settings and click the sync does the tablet then update everything?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:40:54 PM »

It updated the devices in the room, but the device status never updated. It says it's connected. This is an older tablet, but again, my phone is old too. This was working last week, but something has changed.

I will test some more.

It was a huge pain to install the app on that tablet in the first place.

FWIW: I have a nextbook running  4.4.2 that won't run the app.  Very hard to flash a new ROM on that device (PC driver issues), so that one may be out.

Pretty sure that most of my droids running the app are at least running Android 6 or better.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »

So, for S&G, I just tried adding a device using the tablet. Even though it says it's connected to my WM100, the device failed to add.
It's almost like my tablet is connected to a different WM100 somewhere.
Anyone else's lights just randomly turn on and off?

I think the bug here is that my tablet is reporting a connection that isn't happening.

Time to pull that tablet off the wall and rework the software install.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »

Or wrangle my wife's tablet away from her (she's playing crosswords). I do have the app on that.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »

It looks like my tablet is no longer connecting to the WM 100. Just tried to sync data, and it refuses. Next step is to uninstall/reinstall.

The app always reported as being connected, and I did manage a device list update.  Looks like a flakey  connection at best
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:27:31 PM »

Now here's the kicker. My Samsung tab 4 also has 4.4.2, but the app did install on this device (it didn't on the nextbook).

I got a message that this app may not be optimized for this device.

Kernel ver. on tab 4 is: 3.4.0-1889897

Kernel on nextbook is 3.0.36+

The nextbook was purchased by my mother who was going to throw it away because it never worked very well.

I guess on person's trash is another person's. ....trash.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:15:10 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:06 PM »

Results from uninstall/reinstall:

I did get it to recognize the QR code, and the app reported "Success", but device list refused to populate.  I then tried a manual sync, and "The APP failed to sync data."

I'm guessing the problem here isn't necessarily on X10's end.  If I had to wager a guess, I would say the Amazon server that X10 licenses has gone through a security upgrade in the last 7-10 days and my tablet got left out in the cold.

Ah, the beauty of using third party software is that too many cooks can break your code.

Yesterday it worked, today it doesn't....X10 is like that sometimes. (-C. Sullivan, 1940-2010)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:41:17 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:55:23 PM »

Wife has Android 7 on her tablet. still works.  I have Simultaneous connections with her tablet and my phone, so I'm guessing older Android versions got left out.

Again, I think this is an IoT problem, not X10's.

Addendum:

It looks like Amazon AWS rolled out several updates on Feb. 27 and 1 on March 1.  Feb. 27 is probably about the time my tablet stopped working.

I can neither confirm nor deny that the WM100 APP uses the AWS platform, but have a strong theory that it does.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 11:16:37 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 12:26:13 AM »

The wm100 does use Amazon Web Servers.
There were several issues reported of even early echo devices failing with last update so it may be related.
I've not tested my old phone to see if it has been affected but will check that later today.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:51:11 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 02:22:59 AM »

Not being a WM100 user I am just following the threads out of curiosity. When you see the dreaded "3rd party servers" being blamed for HA control failure in your home you begin to ask what level of control you really have.

Many x10 users are only too familiar with the failure or collapse of 3rd party servers and the resulting chaos it causes. Obviously your broadband provider is a 3rd party involved in the control of your HA particularly when you operate this control offsite. I really do not think its advisable to introduce another layer of 3rd party involvement and complicate matters further.

I know quite a large amount of the population feel that Alexa has been sent from the heavens as a solution to all our HA control needs. What they generally do not understand there's a price to be paid in the event of a failure. You can get quite used to saying "Alexa....turn this on....Alexa turn this off....". If Amazon turn off the tap what happens next.

That article an the Amazon outage really emphasises how reliant the public has become on cloud computing. Personally I have all my data saved/backed up to good old fashioned disc drives and won't be changing my habits any time soon.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 02:24:31 AM »

There was a cloudburst Friday.http://www.computerweekly.com/news/252436193/AWS-outage-Datacentre-power-cut-knocks-out-hundreds-of-internet-services

Yeah... I experienced the outage here. It was very minor and very short lived... like they stated:

“Our network is designed to be fully redundant with multiple independent peering facilities in every region,” the statement continued. “Some customers experienced elevated latency and packet loss while the network rerouted affected traffic to these unaffected network peering facilities."

After several years of over-regulation.... halting most needed, privately owned, infrastructure projects... it's a wonder we aren't operating like a 3rd world nation. But for a huge "bomb" storm on the east coast... some power fluctuations with the North-South backbone should be expected.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 02:58:55 AM »

......When you see the dreaded "3rd party servers" being blamed for HA control failure in your home you begin to ask what level of control you really have.

Some people wonder more than others. HA... is all about control! For some... maybe even most... pushing that "button" and a light turning on in the hall, outside, or across the room provides a "control exhilaration" of sorts. Others... like myself (and I may be in a minority) feel you can't really gain the advantage of control... unless you assign the control to other factors and/or devices. In other words... to gain automated control... you must give away actual control.

Many x10 users are only too familiar with the failure or collapse of 3rd party servers and the resulting chaos it causes. Obviously your broadband provider is a 3rd party involved in the control of your HA particularly when you operate this control offsite. I really do not think its advisable to introduce another layer of 3rd party involvement and complicate matters further.

We used to discuss whether HA is a lifestyle... or a hobby. Either way by it's very nature... HA implies using cutting edge technology. And yes that does involve some limited risk.

I am old enough to remember when automation meant a servo-dial (channel selector) setting on the side table next to Dad's easy chair. The other servo motor attached by wire to the channel dial on the 4ftX4ft color TV... with a 12in semi-round screen. When Dad later upgraded to the Zenith Space Command... I learned to emulate the click sound and could change channels without the remote in hand (this may have been the earliest form of "voice command").

There was a time when ISP's (Internet Service Providers) used to brag about a 93% uptime. No longer would that be considered acceptable. But it was the latest great best going at one time. And today... we have and will continue to see interuptions in service..... storms, lighting, forest fires, sun spots, earth quakes, volcanoes, crying babies, divorce, sickness, and death. This is all temporary and should be enjoyed... NOT worried about. We need to exploit whatever technology there is available. As good as HA is.... its limits are hindered ONLY by our own imaginations (and fears).

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:01:51 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:49 AM »

I would feel very lucky if I could get a line at the local BBS and telnet to the Mother Gopher so I could FTP some files.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.