Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: WM100 did not update DST, needed sync to do so  (Read 9324 times)

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
WM100 did not update DST, needed sync to do so
« on: March 10, 2018, 08:48:40 PM »

Maybe I missed this topic previously, but shouldn't the WM100 update to correct time with switch to DST via wifi? Opened app this morning and got the time sync warning that module was one hour behind my phone. Does the WM100 only sync to the app? I don't keep the app running on my phone (or any for that matter).

I know there has been discussion of vacation time zone calling for sync, etc...but that's when phone/app have different time zones when app is opened. I thought it was updated to sync time with the wifi router (internet or cell provider) without the app running and then just alerted if phone was different.

To me, this is a bug. It should update to local wifi time without input.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: WM100 did not update DST, needed sync to do so
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »

Mine did as well.
Yes, currently the WM only syncs to the app. It's been placed on the wish list to sync with time.nist or similar.

And yes, my timers were off here. I currently have no app connected 24/7 due to AWS (Amazon Web Services) obsoleting my old tablet.

Let's hope a new firmware upgrade resolves this issue before we "Fall Back".
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »

As Knightrider stated the WM100 currently only syncs time with the app.
This was by design so not a bug.
However several arguments have been brought to Authinx's attention for the need of syncing with the internet not the app.
I'm hopeful we'll see this addded into a firmware update soon.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

SkipWX10

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »

Thanks. For the record, my CM15a was correct when I went to update it this morning, interesting.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
More DST woes!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »

It use to be I only needed to worry about AHP and just the dusk dawn settings when this occurred.
However with Alexa, Google home and lesser so Cortana skills(many because there are less of these) there are many more ways this can get screwed up.
I don't have many timers working for the weekend and those that do if their off by an hour it is no big deal( I suspect that is true for most users).
Through the week is where more will notice this.
You'd think apps that run on a phone could get this right. However even cloud based systems can't get this right B:(

Case in point, I have two apps (both official apps for Broadlink) these have timers to turn on my TV and Cable box at a set time 6:45 am the mornings through the week days.
This morning the TV didn't come on I checked the timer in one app(IHC) and the timer had changed to 19:45 :o
I then thought I'll check eControll since when you set a timer in one the other app picks it up so I suspected the timer there to also be 19:45 it wasn't  ::) :' it was 07:45 :o

I realize not every where on planet earth do we experiance DST at the same time of year thus this can get tricky for programers.
But come on, regular timers shouldn't change, just the clock.
I've just started to look at other skills for timer issues created from DST but I don't have many outside the WM100 now.
Alexa timers seem to be still ok and I'd expect that being located in North America.
Google I don't use for timed events nor do I have any skills enabled for it other then SmartThings
Cortana I also don't use Timers and only have the SmartThings app installed for it.

Although there is no Skill as yet for the WM100, being is it has a clock that needs resyncing timers were off.
But they were all still set to the same time.
So if your timers come on late today from the WM100 the issue is not just with it, and it could be worse!
 ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:49:37 PM »

To make matters more complicated, there is a growing movement in the States to ditch the time change.
I've never liked DST, and would prefer to stick with Standard time, but now Florida and New England are poking at the idea of making DST the new permanent standard. Hawaii and Arizona don't change. Used to be parts of Indiana  that didn't change. I'm not sure about Eastern Canada, but didn't they have a half hour offset for Newfoundland at one point?

I don't like change.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:24:35 PM »

I don't like change.
Few do!
I as well would prefer just one standard, DST or Standard time and stick with it.
There is no reason to switch anymore. Many companies and stores are open 24 hours now.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 01:01:48 AM »

To make matters more complicated, there is a growing movement in the States to ditch the time change...........
I don't like change.

We should have never allowed that "train time" to take effect:
On Nov. 18, 1883, railways in the United States and Canada adopted Standard Railway Time, creating four standardized time zones in the U.S. and five in Canada.

Once you let the government tell you what time it is.... next they'll be controlling your retirement savings, and your healthcare. It's just a big power-grab.  rofl

In a small town near where I grew up.... they still maintained the Clock Park. A tiny park with good southern exposure and a sundial. It was the official local time. In it's day town leaders, business owners, preachers, school administrators, busybodies, ne'er-do-wells, and gossips..... would gather around the sundial near noontime to set their watches and exchange pleasantries, news, opinions and, lies.

Now with DST... no one even thinks about going back to Sun Time... the way God meant us to live.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
Re: More DST woes!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:55:53 AM »

I realize not every where on planet earth do we experiance DST at the same time of year thus this can get tricky for programers.
But come on, regular timers shouldn't change, just the clock.

What needs to clearly change, are all the dusk/dawn calculations.   When one goes in and out of DST, there needs to be a 1 hour "instant" jump in these calculations.

Though, I guess, the WM100 could use only GMT internally, that never changes, and only the apps do a GMT to local time conversion????
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 04:13:33 AM »

After they moved the start and ending dates of DST.
My old Smarthome Manager Essentials. We ended up turning off DST and adding two lines in the location table. So we could pick DST or not. Has one different time zone in the DST one to fool the software.

I believe that the news here in Connecticut. Mentioned they where thinking about Standard Time all year.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:20:48 AM by Brian H »

SkipWX10

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »

If the movement to end the switch really does happen, I hope they decide to stay in DST...I much prefer the longer daylight at the end of the day, it is much more productive for me and I'm comfortable getting up at dark thirty anyway...

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »

I believe that the news here in Connecticut. Mentioned they where thinking about Standard Time all year.

With the new "location" dusk/dawn programing..... as far as our HA is concerned... I think we're already back to "sun" time. And as far as DST... that's an old idea who time never was. Whether or when the useless time change is ever abolished is a moot point... I can't see where my HA setup uses DTS. I use actual (calculated) sunrise, sunset. 

What needs to clearly change, are all the dusk/dawn calculations.   When one goes in and out of DST, there needs to be a 1 hour "instant" jump in these calculations.

I understand the desire to standardize. But it is so easy for computers to calculate dusk/dawn based on location. Why would I want to pay for light not needed... or walk blindly in the dark.... for the sake of standardized. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:45:35 AM by HA Dave »

VinRin57

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »

Ok, trying to follow along... the wm100 gets time of day from app? Hence, from the device- smartphone/tablet being used? Correct? Then where does it go to seek out dusk/dawn times?

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 11:21:00 AM »

....... where does it go to seek out dusk/dawn times? 

I am just guessing.... but I think we gave the app permission to use (know) our (it's) location... hence latitude, longitude. Which is why I said "sun time".

VinRin57

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »

I like 'sun time', which is what I need. So, app gets time and location from device, must be reaching out somewhere for dusk/dawn times? Just trying to understand what it gets from where... Thx!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.