💬General Category > Mac/Linux & Open Source and the X10 Home

Controling a Broadlink RM from linux

(1/2) > >>

Tuicemen:
With HA-bridge finally able to send RF and IR commands directly to a Broadlink (no extra server required) I thought it was time to visit this.
Many run HA-Bridge on a PI so I figured it wouldn't be to difficult to setup.
I wanted to set this up on my MK802 android TV stick however any of the Linux versions for it are hard to find and aren't supported any more  B:(
I'm not new to Linux but not experienced with it either.
I put a copy of Debian on a thin client which has no CD rom, this took some doing but I finally succeeded :)%
I haven't figured out how to have HA-Bridge start on boot up yet ::) :' but can get it running :)%
Once up this will give me Alexa control of my X10 devices and all other IR devices here with no PC interface required.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 18, 2018, 05:26:26 AM ---With HA-bridge finally able to send RF and IR commands directly to a Broadlink (no extra server required).........
.....Once up this will give me Alexa control of my X10 devices and all other IR devices here with no PC interface required.

--- End quote ---

Since the available Broadlink "skill" allows for IR use... with nothing other than Alexa and a Broadlink device. I assume some sort of computing device is required to get the X10 RF from the Broadlink device.

It would be helpful... at least to some (I am not there yet) if a RBPi could run as a companion device.... to something like the WM100. Congratulations!

Brian H:
I see they recently released a new model. Pi3Model B+. For the same $35 cost.
Faster processors and memory. Along with a 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi interface and POE if you add a PoE Top Hat.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus/

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: HA Dave on March 18, 2018, 10:47:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: Tuicemen on March 18, 2018, 05:26:26 AM ---With HA-bridge finally able to send RF and IR commands directly to a Broadlink (no extra server required).........
.....Once up this will give me Alexa control of my X10 devices and all other IR devices here with no PC interface required.

--- End quote ---

Since the available Broadlink "skill" allows for IR use... with nothing other than Alexa and a Broadlink device. I assume some sort of computing device is required to get the X10 RF from the Broadlink device.

It would be helpful... at least to some (I am not there yet) if a RBPi could run as a companion device.... to something like the WM100. Congratulations!

--- End quote ---
Actually a PC isn't needed to learn or send x10 RF, the app eControl (and I believe IHC) will do it though I've not used the IHC for other then IR with Alexa
However neither of those apps allow Alexa control of RF (Yet)
The GitHub  HA-bridge pages contain lots of PI users posts and the HA-Bridge readme is geared more towards PI setup so setting up on a PI should be a simple task.

I still plan to attempt getting my MK802 running this, once I've brushed up and refreshed my memory of Linux.
The MK802 once goes to sleep losses video and a reboot is needed to bring it back. Not a big deal once the bridge is set up as no monitor will be needed then.

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: Brian H on March 18, 2018, 06:10:31 PM ---I see they recently released a new model. Pi3Model B+. For the same $35 cost.
Faster processors and memory. Along with a 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi interface and POE if you add a PoE Top Hat.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-plus/

--- End quote ---
I actually was contemplating playing with a PI however the MK802 is about the same size as the pi zero in a case.
I did have this (MK802) running linux and controlling X10 with a cm15 prior to getting a Broadlink.
 >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version