💬General Category > General Discussion

120VAC motion sensor

(1/6) > >>

bkenobi:
I just replaced a couple ugly outdoor light fixtures with new ones that are LED.  They have built in dusk-to-dawn, but do not have motion sensing.  I was going to use a MS16A and the WS467 that I already have installed, but realized that it probably won't like the LED (no leakage voltage through the bulb).  I replaced the light switch with a standard for now, but may order a WS469.

I wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small motion sensor that could be put next to the light (not screwed in like the standard sensors).  I used a Heath/Zenith unit for one set of lights and it works fine but these lights have no way to install a motion sensor.  I could buy a different light, but it's just one location and I'd rather have them all match.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: bkenobi on March 22, 2018, 10:22:11 AM ---I just replaced a couple ugly outdoor light fixtures with new ones that are LED. ............... may order a WS469.

I wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small motion sensor that could be put next to the light ........
--- End quote ---

I have NO suggestion(s).... but your project(s) do interest me. As I am also currently reimagining a bit of my X10/lighting setup as well.

LED's are such a huge energy saver.... and I've not only become accustomed to the light-color... but have grown to prefer the LED light. I recently changed some of my X10 switches to the X10 "relay" switches so I can use LED's. Unfortunately. my older home is not completely suitable for neutral wired switches.

Most of my lamp modules have been replaced with appliance modules. Or in a couple places I've used the LM15A Socket Rocket Screw-In Lamp Module for LED bulbs.

SkipWX10:
I have my garage lights (exterior) set up with a generic motion detector wired inline before the lights. The motion can be purchased at HD or Lowes etc. Instead of mounting to the fixture as intended, I installed on it's own base plate and box in the location I needed.

Similar to this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Outdoor-180-Detection-Zone-Motion-Sensor-Retrofit-Kit-Bronze-OMS-1000-120-DDB-M6/205507283

bkenobi:
I find LED a nuicance and mostly a marketting ploy.  The energy savings argument is only valid when you use the fixture for a sufficient amount that there is a significant usage.  I don't keep lights on constantly, so I've yet to see any difference with these low power solutions.

That's not to say there's no advantage.  I have LED's in my camper and they make a HUGE difference!  And I see a few other benefits that don't garner any praise but are massive IMO.  Either way, they are the future so it's just something to accept (unlike the curly bulbs that were stupid and forced on us a few years ago).

Knightrider:
I'm extremely lazy, and prefer the LEDs  due to longevity.  Don't like changing light bulbs. (In fact, I don't like any kind of change)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version