Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 120VAC motion sensor  (Read 3412 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
120VAC motion sensor
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:22:11 AM »

I just replaced a couple ugly outdoor light fixtures with new ones that are LED.  They have built in dusk-to-dawn, but do not have motion sensing.  I was going to use a MS16A and the WS467 that I already have installed, but realized that it probably won't like the LED (no leakage voltage through the bulb).  I replaced the light switch with a standard for now, but may order a WS469.

I wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small motion sensor that could be put next to the light (not screwed in like the standard sensors).  I used a Heath/Zenith unit for one set of lights and it works fine but these lights have no way to install a motion sensor.  I could buy a different light, but it's just one location and I'd rather have them all match.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: 120VAC motion sensor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:03 PM »

I just replaced a couple ugly outdoor light fixtures with new ones that are LED. ............... may order a WS469.

I wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small motion sensor that could be put next to the light ........

I have NO suggestion(s).... but your project(s) do interest me. As I am also currently reimagining a bit of my X10/lighting setup as well.

LED's are such a huge energy saver.... and I've not only become accustomed to the light-color... but have grown to prefer the LED light. I recently changed some of my X10 switches to the X10 "relay" switches so I can use LED's. Unfortunately. my older home is not completely suitable for neutral wired switches.

Most of my lamp modules have been replaced with appliance modules. Or in a couple places I've used the LM15A Socket Rocket Screw-In Lamp Module for LED bulbs.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »

I have my garage lights (exterior) set up with a generic motion detector wired inline before the lights. The motion can be purchased at HD or Lowes etc. Instead of mounting to the fixture as intended, I installed on it's own base plate and box in the location I needed.

Similar to this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Outdoor-180-Detection-Zone-Motion-Sensor-Retrofit-Kit-Bronze-OMS-1000-120-DDB-M6/205507283

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:23:19 PM »

I find LED a nuicance and mostly a marketting ploy.  The energy savings argument is only valid when you use the fixture for a sufficient amount that there is a significant usage.  I don't keep lights on constantly, so I've yet to see any difference with these low power solutions.

That's not to say there's no advantage.  I have LED's in my camper and they make a HUGE difference!  And I see a few other benefits that don't garner any praise but are massive IMO.  Either way, they are the future so it's just something to accept (unlike the curly bulbs that were stupid and forced on us a few years ago).

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

I'm extremely lazy, and prefer the LEDs  due to longevity.  Don't like changing light bulbs. (In fact, I don't like any kind of change)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »

I suppose I could use a retrofit module in that way.  It would be similar to what I have above my garage.  I guess I was hoping for a similar option in a more atractive package.  There are low profile cieling mount sensors these days for indoor use.  It would be nice to do something similar.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 02:10:08 AM »

I just replaced a couple ugly outdoor light fixtures with new ones that are LED.  They have built in dusk-to-dawn, but do not have motion sensing.  .....

I found a solution (this has actually been on my mind for a few days). On Amazon... I found motion sensing floodlight LED BULBS. So... you can use your matching hardware.... and let the bulb itself detect the motion.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:12:16 AM by HA Dave »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:28:56 AM »

We want to go with a different look on the house, but these might work well for the shop!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 02:36:55 AM »

We want to go with a different look on the house, but these might work well for the shop!

They also have regular looking bulbs with motion sensing. SOME... even work using radar... which works through the glass fixtures.

SkipWX10

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »

I like both of those bulb ideas...I'm also not a huge fan of LED, but the concept is pretty interesting and the price is about the same as a cheap motion detector. Thanks for the links.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 09:23:10 AM »

I like both of those bulb ideas...I'm also not a huge fan of LED, but the concept is pretty interesting and the price is about the same as a cheap motion detector. Thanks for the links.

I was happy to research and think about this issue. It captured my interest and imagination. I like and use motion sensor lighting in my man-cave, laundry room, and garage. Places where I might have stuff in my hands... or in the garage with an entry far from the switch.

I jumped on the CFL's (compact florescence Lamps) nearly 20 years ago. Now those bulbs... were worth hating. But... I actually still have two or three CFL's in use around here.

The LED's are cheap to operate... but still can be a comparatively high investment, for the return, on lights seldom used. But they last for so long... any light fixture that requires getting out a real ladder (not a foot stool) deserves a LED bulb. The wife and I have jumped on a couple "good deals" on LED's.... and I really have learned to appreciate their light and... how little electric they eat. And now with the WiFi LED bulbs... Home Automation enthusiast can automate and convert to LED at around $10 a pop... and it still operates for cheap.

I converted my Home Theater to LED... and then... had to also replace the switches to the relay type. Other switches in my older home have a split live wire... making the relay switches unusable. But... I've managed to convert most of my most-used lights to LED. I "think" there is an actual monthly dollar saving. But... I am not going to do the math... because it would be really frustrating if I was wrong.  :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 01:36:18 AM »

FWIW
Since we are on a LED trip here,  one of the local Dollar Tree stores has 100W equivalent Sunbeam LEDs. I think they were rated 1500 or 1600 lumens. These bulbs are considerably heavier than the 60W version from the additional heat sinking. I don't see how Dollar Tree can have any profit in there, so I'm going to get a few before they go away.

Also FWIW, I take a Dermal tool to the bulb, cutting off the top half of the globe. It makes the light much more directional. I have a few can "up lights" behind planters, furniture, etc for accent lighting, and these hacked bulbs work well in them putting a nice shaft of light up the wall. However fairly high voltages are going to be present on the emitter head, (about three volts per LED die,  times the number of die mounted on the head)  so the applications must be only where kiddies, kitties, and puppies can't touch. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »

FWIW
Since we are on a LED trip here,  one of the local Dollar Tree stores has 100W equivalent Sunbeam LEDs. ......

You know.... I found my Theater indoor flood bulbs at one of those dollar stores. They had a limit of ten... so I got my limit. I was lucky to have some relay switches. So... I modernized my old Home Theater a little.

Now.... with the advent of 4K... and short-thrown 4K projectors somewhat affordable. I am considering another upgrade.. to a 100" screen. But also thinking it might be much simpler to just use a 75" Smart TV.......... but that's an entirely different thread. 

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »

In regards to the suggestion of using an add-on motion detector wired into a non-motion sensor fixture, I wanted to point out that in my experience there is a minimum driven wattage that must be present for the motion sensor to function unless it specifically says "All bulb types".  I have an older one that did not work until I installed a 40W incandescent "activity" light inside the garage.  I actually like this now since it tells me when motion has been detected when inside the garage but it was not something I expected to need to have.  I'm sure the same could be accomplished by a resister of appropriate size, but the bulb does double duty.  Only risk is 40W bulbs going away.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »

I tried installing the motion sensor version of the led carraige fixture.  I don't know if it's a bad design or a poorly implemented motion sensor, but it refuses to turn off.  Annoying since I like the looks of this one.  Since the light sensor and motion detector are combined, it's difficult to tell what's going on.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.