Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: LEDs with X10 Wall Switch  (Read 12183 times)

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
LEDs with X10 Wall Switch
« on: March 27, 2018, 07:06:48 AM »

I have several WS467 wall switches controlling my home's outdoor coach lights. I tried replacing the incandescent B10 bulbs with Sylvania LED bulbs. Problem is, the small current used for X10 makes the bulbs light slightly. I have an A series LED bulb with a lamp inside using a X10 lamp module and this does not happen.

Does this happen with all LED bulbs or only with some brands and not with others? I am using dimmable 40w Sylvania B10 LEDs.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: LEDs with X10 Wall Switch
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »

I have several WS467 wall switches controlling my home's outdoor coach lights. I tried replacing the incandescent B10 bulbs with Sylvania LED bulbs. Problem is, the small current used for X10 makes the bulbs light slightly. I have an A series LED bulb with a lamp inside using a X10 lamp module and this does not happen.

Does this happen with all LED bulbs or only with some brands and not with others? I am using dimmable 40w Sylvania B10 LEDs.

The WS467 wall switches are nice.... and a low cost entry into HA. But they aren't for use with LED bulbs. They are for incandescent bulbs only. You'll want to select a relay switch... without a current sensing feature... for the low wattage LED bulbs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:24:10 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »

I found Cree works.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:10:55 AM by Tucson »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »

The WS467 is made for incandescent loads only.
They steal power through the load. This current makes the LED bulb glow or pulse when off.

Even LED bulbs that seem to work. You may damage the bulb, WS467 or both.
Adding one incandescent bulb in the circuit may calm it down.

I have tested a few brands.
Some glowed, pulsed, would go on and off with the paddle but not an X10 command, go on but not off with an X10 command.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »

I have an A series LED bulb with a lamp inside using a X10 lamp module and this does not happen.
You don't state what module your using inside.
Some have local sensing removed, X10WTI actually started to do that with the soft start modules prior to going belly up.
Authinx has removed local sensing on many of their modules now offered in order to make them more LED friendly.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

gkamieneski

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »

Thanks everyone. Does X10 have a replacement wall switch for the WS467 that can correctly handle led bulbs? Seems the X10 technology itself is always going to require the minor current for carrying code and therefore LEDs will react to that.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:44:30 PM »

If you don't need dimming look at these:
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/switches/ws469.html
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »

If you don't need dimming look at these:
https://www.x10.com/x10-home-automation/switches/ws469.html

Keep in mind that you'll need a neutral wire in the box for this to work, though.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:43 PM »

True!
Many older homes don't have a neutral wire hidden in the back of the junction box.
I keep forgetting this as my newly updated electrical now has these in all junction boxes.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »

The WS467 is made for incandescent loads only.
Even LED bulbs that seem to work. You may damage the bulb, WS467 or both.............
Adding one incandescent bulb in the circuit may calm it down.

I had thought of that myself. And I tried using one (regular 60 watt) incandescent bulb and one 60 watt equivalent LED... in a two bulb fixture. It worked great and I figured I was still saving about 52 watts when on. But then I got to thinking.... long before the LED goes bad... that incandescent bulb will burn out. Which in my (old wire-twisters) mind would leave me with an Unacceptable situation.

So... I removed the LED bulb. I know it is similar to the old 7watt night-light trick. But I just couldn't be secure with the safety of it. Maybe it's my age.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:23:21 PM »

.... Many older homes don't have a neutral wire hidden in the back of the junction box....

And many newer homes built just a few years ago..... have multiple CAT5 and phone connectors in each room. I ran CAT5 and Phone in my home... at some expense and great effort. I also ran concealed speaker wires (and speakers) as well. Who knew (20 years ago) that WiFi and Bluetooth would be what it is today.

I am now charging my iPhone "wirelessly"..... and I don't even know how that technology works!

One of the great challenges and real beauty's of Home Automation is solving problems and finding solutions. That is what brings a LOT of people to HA. Whether it's to control a light from a remote location, or see an area using a camera, HA solves home design problems. Maybe we haven't [collectively] solved the "no neutral wire" problem yet.... but I am sure there are solutions out there... waiting to be found. 

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 04:27:37 AM »

I am now charging my iPhone "wirelessly"..... and I don't even know how that technology works!
It is inductive. Technically the charger base and the phone form an air core transformer, with the base as the primary coil and the phone acting as the secondary coil. Works like your electric toothbrush charging, except at higher frequencies.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 05:13:18 AM »

I think some old geezer named Tesla came up with the technology.  Probably should have made him a millionaire by now.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:26 AM »

I think some old geezer named Tesla came up with the technology.  Probably should have made him a millionaire by now.
Google "Scalar waves".
When Tesla said he could provide free energy to every home, scientists of the day thought he was proposing the use of his "tesla coil" to transmit wireless power around the country. He was not.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 06:43:51 PM »

Google "Scalar waves".

Google:   A scalar wave is a purported type of electromagnetic wave that works outside physics as we know it. Scalar waves are also called 'electromagnetic longitudinal waves', 'Maxwellian waves', or 'Teslawellen' ('Tesla waves'). Variants of the theory claim that Scalar electromagnetics (also known as scalar energy) is the background quantum mechanical fluctuations and associated zero-point energies.

Oh.... now it all makes perfectly good sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.