Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3B+ information.  (Read 3213 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Raspberry Pi 3B+ information.
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »

The April 2018 MagPi Magazine issue #68. Has a few articles on the new Raspberry Pi B3+.
It can be downloaded or purchased print style.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/68/

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Raspberry Pi 3B+ information.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »

I just bought my Pi 3 over the winter.... and was completely impressed with how fast it was at Web surfing and playing YouTube videos. For normal run-of-the-mill uses... these little Pi's are as useable as my i7 laptop.

In the piece the manufacture said:  The cost of manufacturing Raspberry Pi keeps going down because of automation. That sounds like the cycle of faster better computer powered robots.... are making even faster better computer powered robots at less cost. I just wonder if they're making those newest Pi's at the Cyberdyne plant in Sunnyvale, Ca.

Although I am brand new to these Pi things..... I am totally impressed with the potential of these inexpensive little devices. And I know for a fact that these things are awesome computer/drivers when paired with a CM15A interface. We just need someone (like x10?  :') to market loaded, ready to use, Pi's for X10. I know Homeseer has already done a fine job (I am a HS Hometroller user). But HS wishes to get out of the X10 market.

This is a huge [market] void that should (if professionally done) be profitable to fill. Maybe X10 could BT or WiFi connect these Pi's with the new WM100.

Thanks for sharing Brian H
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:15:31 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 01:39:51 AM »

This is a huge [market] void that should (if professionally done) be profitable to fill. Maybe X10 could BT or WiFi connect these Pi's with the new WM100.

You're absolutely correct. It's amazing the number of people on the HomeSeer forum (and other forums) that have extensive X10 setups. However, they use the Homeseer software which is both supported and more advanced than AHP and use plug-ins to tie into X10 as you yourself do now.

Authinx needs a simple little plug-in thing as you mention but also needs the software. Ideally, it would be able to program the CM15A but obviously if they haven't done it by now, they never will. Besides, with the capabilities of today's software, having macros on the CM15A isn't as important, especially with low power consumption devices that don't need an internet connection such as the Hometroller.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 03:06:51 AM »

........ It's amazing the number of people on the HomeSeer forum (and other forums) that have extensive X10 setups. However, they use the Homeseer software which is both supported and more advanced than AHP and use plug-ins to tie into X10 as you yourself do now.

Authinx needs a simple little plug-in thing as you mention but also needs the software. Ideally, it would be able to program the CM15A but obviously if they haven't done it by now, they never will. Besides, with the capabilities of today's software, having macros on the CM15A isn't as important, especially with low power consumption devices that don't need an internet connection such as the Hometroller.

The Home Automation market has recently been flooded with a huge array of brands and flavors of HA and protocols. But in the beginning... and yet today... there is X10. The number of X10 units and users is staggering. And it's nice having a protocol that doesn't depend solely on the functionality of my router.
And..... it's been proven that with a bit of effort, tech skills, X10 hardware (including a CM15A with a suite of AHP software), and a cast-off XP computer can create an impressively smart home.

But other innovators like Homeseer and Amazon have really brought HA into 21st Century. And almost everyone... MYSELF included wants this stuff to be as simple and easy to use as it can be. I LIKE the idea of a Hub-like device that pairs with other devices... like a phone and Echo to create a system of HA. 

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 02:41:05 PM »

You're absolutely correct. It's amazing the number of people on the HomeSeer forum (and other forums) that have extensive X10 setups. However, they use the Homeseer software which is both supported and more advanced than AHP and use plug-ins to tie into X10 as you yourself do now.

X10 in HomeSeer no longer officially supported by the HomeSeer developer.One of the users kindly supports it in his spare time. More and more of its user base are slowly abandoning it and the majority of its younger user base wouldn't even consider it.

HomeGenie did look like a viable alternative but it's developer decided to call time on development and while a couple of its user base decided to pick up the threads it doesn't look like further development will be along the lines of its previous incarnation. The last official version of HomeGenie v526 is still very X10 friendly and will more than fulfill any X10 users requirement in the Windows/Linux environment particularly users of the Raspberry Pi.

Personally I can use either HomeSeer or HomeGenie to cover my X10 needs but my gut instinct tells me that X10 has become a niche technology which could be a good thing as niche users generally band together and share their experiences a lot more openly and are more likely to exchange solutions a lot more freely.

The fact that X10 has comfortably transitioned to technology like the Raspberry Pi and, with 3rd party assistance, Alexa bodes well for X10

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »

X10 in HomeSeer no longer officially supported by the HomeSeer developer.One of the users kindly supports it in his spare time. .....

Yeah I know and have exchanged posts with him on the Homeseer forum. But he has done an excellent job even as a volunteer. But.... I don't look for a solution for the future. I don't know what problems exist in the future. I build the best HA set-up I can build today... and I plan my upgrades and changes as conditions change.

............ my gut instinct tells me that X10 has become a niche technology which could be a good thing as niche users generally band together and share their experiences a lot more openly and are more likely to exchange solutions a lot more freely.

The fact that X10 has comfortably transitioned to technology like the Raspberry Pi and, with 3rd party assistance, Alexa bodes well for X10

Your gut is correct! But, X10 has always been a niche technology. Although.... like the other more recent HA-tech releases... X10 has had it's day in the sun (stores), and 15 minutes of fame. Home Automation.... has never gone mainstream. As an avid user... and lover of Home Automation it is beyond my understanding as to why.

Many of the old timers here at this very forum... and some who have pasted away.... have created a community of helpfulness and inspiration. Much more so.... than the casual observer would ever realize. Ideas, solutions, fixes, work-arounds, software, and even HARDWARE are created by members of this forum. These guys here are smart, and generous with their time, knowledge, and efforts.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:54:51 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 02:56:18 PM »

I've been playing with several low power PCs over the years to turn on/off x10 devices.
Some used Linux others ran Windows however none provided the power to do everything I wished at my off grid place.
The closest I got to doing what I wanted was my HP thin client running Windows 10.
The Raspberry Pi 3B+ looks like it is fast enough to handle things and uses less power then my thin client.
I've been holding off on picking one of these up as I experiment a bit more with Linux though this unit will run Windows.
The big thing I'm looking for is streaming services which won't get bogged down with my HA running at the same time.
This may soon not be a big deal with the WM100 if/when its full potential is unlocked.
My internet speed at the off grid place is a slow DSL connection and several IP cameras are on it so that doesn't help things ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »

I've been playing with several low power PCs over the years....... The closest I got to doing what I wanted was my HP thin client running Windows 10.
.......The Raspberry Pi 3B+ looks like it is fast enough to handle things and uses less power then my thin client.

And there's the rub. Both have an advantage and a disadvantage. Neither are perfect..... and both work hard at exploiting there own best feature.

The big thing I'm looking for is streaming services which won't get bogged down with my HA running at the same time.
This may soon not be a big deal with the WM100 if/when its full potential is unlocked.
My internet speed at the off grid place is a slow DSL connection and several IP cameras are on it so that doesn't help things ::) :'

Don't forget... most routers allow for prioritizing functions. Which means you could (theoretically) nearly disable camera/IP functions while streaming media content.

I think it's typically more practical to use more than one device/method than trying to beat every function out of a single device. Maybe a mix and match solution.... Like a Blu-ray player with streaming abilities (I have a Sony BR Player that streams). But I also have an Apple [TV] streaming device.... that allows me to mirror from my iPhone. This allows me to "stock" a few movies (I also keep books) on my phone... downloaded at home for play later. I can watch on my phone while waiting for someone.... or [mirror] to my TV using the Apple TV streaming device.

Of course... Android has mirroring abilities and apps as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:49:55 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 10:13:05 PM »

When power is not a issue running several devices is not a problem.
I have several devices for playing media and streaming as well as controlling my HA in the city. I also want to keep this simple having to turn off something to turn on another is not going to earn me any WAF points  :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:31 PM »

.......... I also want to keep this simple having to turn off something to turn on another is not going to earn me any WAF points  :'

Oh yeah.... I can see that.

The wife and I have been streaming some Netflix (original) content lately. I can see us doing more and more of that. I think if we were going to be off-line I'd want to have shows and movies (and books) loaded on my phone and/or tablet.... mirror to a [thin] PC, or smart TV.

The great thing is if caught in traffic (or some such thing) a movie downloaded on a phone can really ease a stalled drive. Even better if it's on a tablet.

Books on phones are good too.... a lot like movies if you have a decent imagination. And... if you have the books read to you... say while your doing a simple chore.... it's a nice change from music basting away. 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.