💬General Category > General Discussion

SR227 vs Am486

(1/4) > >>

Knightrider:
Question:

Does the switched outlet have different guts than the Appliance module?

I seem to have toasted one on a 1500watt space heater.

bkenobi:
I burned a socket rocket like that.  I haven't had an issue with my SR227 or OutletLinc modules.  I don't have high draw devices plugged in to mine.  The OutletLinc modules control holiday lights which burned up the socket rocket.  I guess I can say one is better than the other, but that doesn't exactly help with your question.

radioguy1007:
I've never had to take apart any of my wall outlets (yet).  They do have the similar click of the AM486 relay.  The SR227's have one each switched and unswitched outlets.  Don't know if their fork contacts are thicker. 

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on April 04, 2018, 10:07:19 PM ---.....  a 1500watt space heater.
--- End quote ---

An electric space heater? Isn't usually a loose fix (plug into socket) that burns up the receptacle? I always thought it was the slight arc (caused by looseness) that generated the heat. Maybe I was given bad info.

Brian H:
I would suspect a poor connection and getting worse as it heated up.
The outlet contact may have been slightly loose, getting dirty or the plugs pins where dirty.
From your photo. It looks like it is the wider Neutral Pin. That is soldered to the PC Board near the output and a insulated wire from the Input Pins Neutral Pad to the output Neutral Pad.

Both the Appliance Module and SR227 are rated for 15 amps Resistive loads {1800 Watts}.

The outlets maybe a different construction between them. I will see if I can find an internal photo of the SR227 and Appliance Modules. To see if anything pops out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version