💬General Category > General Discussion

Philosophical Debate on Outlets

(1/3) > >>

Knightrider:
This is going to sound like the "how to hang a roll of toilet paper" thing.

Do you prefer the ground pin up or down.

Every project I do, the ground pin is on top. I have two reasons for this. You probably know what they are.

It just occurred to me that every X10 module I have is upside down. Even my WM100. Does this bother you?

With the recent forum activity regarding the NEC, shouldn't we all take a stand and have a standard created?

If this does come to pass, X10 will have a major redesign to cover.

Just some random thoughts from my upside-down home to yours.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on April 10, 2018, 07:20:23 AM ---Do you prefer the ground pin up or down.

Every project I do, the ground pin is on top. I have two reasons for this. You probably know what they are.....
--- End quote ---

Interestingly... last I knew there was two distinct and different standards... for the same plugs. For residential use... the ground hole is on the bottom. In commercial/industrial applications the ground is on top... protecting the live and neutral.

SkipWX10:
In my house, ground is down purely for the reason that all residential plugs seem to be designed for it, just like the modules, etc. In my shop, ground pin is up, just because.

In my customers homes, it varies depending on who the electrician was....some are up and some are down.

racerfern:
Then there's the 40 story residential apartment towers I go to on a regular basis. As tenants move out and before new ones move in, they modernize the units will all new decora style outlets installed sideways, about three feet from the floor. Ground to the right BTW.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: racerfern on April 10, 2018, 03:25:00 PM ---........ decora style outlets installed sideways, about three feet from the floor. Ground to the right BTW.
--- End quote ---

Seems to me I saw something like that... in a model home or on-line showing... somewhere. Is there a reasoning behind this? I can see how higher would be easier for the new fatter American.

Knightrider what height are you mounting new outlets now-a-days? Assuming new construction... as I would think added outlets would match existing outlets in the same area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version