Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Which Raspberry PI are you using?  (Read 7613 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Which Raspberry PI are you using?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »

........ I'm so reluctant to get too heavily immersed in any particular HA software as a result of this.

I can not only assure you.... but also promise you.....EVERY software product will at some point go belly-up. EVERY server will crash, every PC/laptop/and phone will fail. Every company making, marketing, selling and/or even just advertising Home automation products will close their doors. Every written, typed, recorded, or spoken word of Home Automation knowledge will either be lost forever.... or preserved but become so outdated as to become useless.

The grass grows.... we mow it, fertilize it..... and mow it again. And so it is with Home Automation (and almost everything else). Home Automation (and lawns) exist no-where in nature. Both are unstable human creations. As almost everything worth having they require regular... if not continuous... maintenance, repair, and updating/upgrading.

Many of us here.... saw [the old X10] close their doors. We saw servers fail. Everything changed. Everything will always change... and we will continue to roll with it. As technology advances our setups will change. Not every change will be welcome by everyone. But change is all we have. It can never be different.

My Home Automation set-up will be complete and finished.... the very night I die. Otherwise... I am planning, expanding, altering, and looking for new technologies to incorporate into my Home Automation.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:05:35 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 10:37:57 PM »

........ I'm so reluctant to get too heavily immersed in any particular HA software as a result of this.

I can not only assure you.... but also promise you.....EVERY software product will at some point go belly-up. EVERY server will crash, every PC/laptop/and phone will fail. Every company making, marketing, selling and/or even just advertising Home automation products will close their doors. Every written, typed, recorded, or spoken word of Home Automation knowledge will either be lost forever.... or preserved but become so outdated as to become useless.

The grass grows.... we mow it, fertilize it..... and mow it again. And so it is with Home Automation (and almost everything else). Home Automation (and lawns) exist no-where in nature. Both are unstable human creations. As almost everything worth having they require regular... if not continuous... maintenance, repair, and updating/upgrading.

Many of us here.... saw [the old X10] close their doors. We saw servers fail. Everything changed. Everything will always change... and we will continue to roll with it. As technology advances our setups will change. Not every change will be welcome by everyone. But change is all we have. It can never be different.

My Home Automation set-up will be complete and finished.... the very night I die. Otherwise... I am planning, expanding, altering, and looking for new technologies to incorporate into my Home Automation.

Profound words indeed but remember you're still using X10. Why.....possibly because it's simplicity is it's strength. It's the reason why I'm still using it. No matter what arrives on the market I'll find a way to get my X10 setup working with it. I wonder could I say the same thing about the lighting technology arriving on the market today in 30 years time. -:)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »

I play it a little different.  If I freeze my hardware and software configuration without making any changes, I believe that I can keep the system running for the most part.  Of course, that doesn't always pan out (e.g., SSL certificates stop working and so email notification stops).

I bought the RPi3 with the intent to try upgrading to the new version of HG since the new devs seemed motivated.  I see they have some progress, but it's certainly not like the old days when Gene made multiple updates a week.  Then again, once the software gets stable, what else needs to be done other than update for driver/hardware changes (boring for a dev I imagine).

I'm currently thinking that I'll keep the RPi1 running as is with older HG and try to get Domoticz running on the RPi3.  The install worked awesome (something like pressing enter 3 times).  But, when completed, I don't have a working service and I can't get it launched.  The first time I tried it a few years back there was an RPi image.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »

I play it a little different.  If I freeze my hardware and software configuration without making any changes, I believe that I can keep the system running for the most part.  Of course, that doesn't always pan out (e.g., SSL certificates stop working and so email notification stops).

I bought the RPi3 with the intent to try upgrading to the new version of HG since the new devs seemed motivated.  I see they have some progress, but it's certainly not like the old days when Gene made multiple updates a week.  Then again, once the software gets stable, what else needs to be done other than update for driver/hardware changes (boring for a dev I imagine).

I'm currently thinking that I'll keep the RPi1 running as is with older HG and try to get Domoticz running on the RPi3.  The install worked awesome (something like pressing enter 3 times).  But, when completed, I don't have a working service and I can't get it launched.  The first time I tried it a few years back there was an RPi image.

I think the guys who took on the Homegenie project are more concerned with what container they can deliver the project in rather than the content. The previous forum had some very creative contributors who contributed some very useful C# programs some of which I still use today. Unfortunately that's all disappeared now. As far as I'm concerned it's a static project and as you say it works on the original Raspberry Pi so probably best to leave it running that way.

Domoticz on the Raspberry Pi is very interesting. Easy to set up, I've got the CM11 working on it, added a few IP cameras and there's a big community and lot of other interesting add ons to investigate. Whatever works best for you is usually best to pursue.

Probably like yourself I've spent a considerable amount of time and effort helping developers test their software. I've learnt quite a bit from these efforts but it does get frustrating when these developers fold their tents and disappear.

The Raspberry Pi has been a welcome game changer too. It's gotten me into the SBC world and my latest purchase, the Rock64 has shown me what these credit card sized wonders are truly capable of.

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 01:20:41 AM »

........ but remember you're still using X10. Why.....possibly because it's simplicity is it's strength. It's the reason why I'm still using it. No matter what arrives on the market I'll find a way to get my X10 setup working with it. I wonder could I say the same thing about the lighting technology arriving on the market today in 30 years time. -:) 

I do have a lot of X10... and it is simplistically.... reliable. And yet it can be made to be very flexible. But... I've never limited myself or my setup to just the use of X10. Even my lighting... which is what most people think about when they think X10... I've spread out over other technologies as well as X10. I tend to hesitate.... before putting all my eggs in the same basket.

A lot different things could fail on my or any setup.... but it would take a LOT of different, and simultaneous failures to take down my entire setup. And that IS one of the great things about X10.... all i really need to make X10 work... is electric power.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2018, 01:50:34 PM »

rofl I have three large boxes full like that!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »

http://www.gocomics.com/moderately-confused/2018/04/25?ct=v&cti=2035357

I like that!

rofl I have three large boxes full like that!

I am pretty good at throwing out the old (and then regretting it later and wishing I still had the device/part). Except of computers. Maybe because I pre-date PC's by so many years.... I always see a value in a working computer. And of course... I have a big plastic tub of X10 parts and pieces (and then a smaller tub of more X10).

I tend to collect (special) bicycles.... and regularly struggle to keep their numbers to that agreed upon with my spouse. To do that I use a one-for-one exchange. If I add a bike... I also sell a bike. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »

I have a Pi Zero+ in route which I'll attempt to load some thing on for X10.
I'm thinking of testing Domoticz on it using the disk image from the Domoticz site.
Hopefully start of next week ::) :'
The image doesn't work with the 3B+ so I may attempt a manual install on it.
The Zero doesn't have the horsepower of the 3B+ but it should handle my HA requirements.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »

I have a Pi Zero+ in route which I'll attempt to load some thing on for X10.
I'm thinking of testing Domoticz on it using the disk image from the Domoticz site.
Hopefully start of next week ::) :'
The image doesn't work with the 3B+ so I may attempt a manual install on it.
The Zero doesn't have the horsepower of the 3B+ but it should handle my HA requirements.

A lot a the images available are poorly maintained so I find going straight to the source a better alternative. I had to build Mochad in Homeseer for my CM15 a while back as I needed version 0.1.17 to stop lockups on X10. It solved my problem.

Haven't tried the Pi Zero yet but a friend of mine has just built his first "Pi Cluster" an 8 node Pi Super Computer. The processing speeds are amazing to watch in such a small footprint.

I still buy magazines and the MagPi magazine is a great source for all things Raspberry Pi
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:25:49 PM by petera »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 02:05:01 PM »

The Pi Zero W might be a good candidate for a WM100 companion module.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w/
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2018, 04:09:45 PM »

The Pi Zero W might be a good candidate for a WM100 companion module.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-zero-w/
My thoughts exactly.
Mine came this morning and I've been looking to see about fitting it into a Cm15.Originaly I had thoughtthis could be placed inside the battery compartment with some ajustment to the size of the compartment.
On closer examination it may fit inside the Cm15 its self with out having to cut the battery compartment out.
However since the batteries will not be needed the compartment could be utilized for a heat sink or maybe the camera or both.
The mini usb addaptor I have is to big for this a micro USB adaptor is required to plug in the CM15 unless it was had wired.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »

I very seriously considered the Pi Zero W, but then I realized it lacked any USB host connections so I couldn't hook up the CM15 to it.  I know it doesn't have the header for the GPIO, but that can easily be added.  The lack of USB was a no-go for me for HA.

EDIT:  Yes, I know it has a USB-OTG, but I wanted standard ports rather than adapters and more than 1 port ideally.  I guess I could have just gotten a USB-OTG hub, but I suppose I just didn't want to go that route.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:35:26 PM by bkenobi »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »

Are you sure the Zero can support the CM15A? It's been a few years since I looked into USB-OTG but, IIRC, it's less powerful than regular USB.

OTOH, if only the WM100 had a pass-through function, the Zero W would be ideal as it could easily handle an RF receiver.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:39:40 PM by dhouston »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 06:13:52 PM »

Here's the USB OTG official site.
http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
It appears to have evolved substantially since I first looked at it and, at first glance, looks like it might be able to handle the CM15A but I'll leave that assessment to others with more recent experience.

http://janaxelson.com/usb_embedded_hosts.htm
http://janaxelson.com/forum/index.php

Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.