Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dimmer/flicker/turns self off issues  (Read 1463 times)

Pacman83

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
dimmer/flicker/turns self off issues
« on: April 29, 2018, 05:46:51 PM »

Glad to find this forum,  about 18 years ago we installed x-10 dimmers system in our church, 13 chandeliers with 3 incandescents each in those days, some floods, all on individual dimmer per chandelier.  about 6 months ago we replaced all the floods and the 13 x 3 incandescents in the chandeliers with GE Dimmable and Walmart Dimmable bulbs.  Two of the light bars with the floods will not dim at all and they do not respond to the remote for on off.  Is this a load issue?  Have my dimmers gone bad or will this not work at all.   Sometimes the 8 choir lights all dimmable floods just turn themselves off for no reason.  Any ideas or help will be appreciated.  Feel free to e-mail also,  cdawso9797@aol.com  Thanks, a humbled! pastor. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: dimmer/flicker/turns self off issues
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »

The dimmer switches have probably not gone bad at one time.

It is probably a load issue. Most X10 dimmers are two wire. They steal power through the Load. Designed for incandescent loads.

Dimmable LED bulbs may act strange. I have tested some model dimmable LED bulbs and X10 two wire dimmers. Many display the same symptoms you are seeing.

As a short test. You could see if changing one of the LEDs back to an incandescent and see if it changes anything.
Post back any findings you see. When you get a chance to try an incandescent bulb in a fixture.

Some model dimmable bulbs work better than others. Some one will added information maybe able to assist you.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:49:23 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: dimmer/flicker/turns self off issues
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 05:21:31 PM »

Two of the light bars with the floods will not dim at all and they do not respond to the remote for on off.  Is this a load issue? 
Sometimes the 8 choir lights all dimmable floods just turn themselves off for no reason.
I agree with Brian that this is a load issue. Six months ago, when you replaced the floods, is that when the floods will not dim or respond to the remote? Or did that lake of control build slowly over the six months? My guess is one, or all of the new floods are noise generators, putting electrical noise on the line, preventing the X10 power line signal from getting to the wall switch. Are all the floods in the problem light bars, the same brand? As Brian suggested, an incandescent bulb might act as a snubber to lower the noise. Otherwise finding the culprit bulb or bulbs (or bulb brand) is one approach, or adding filters to the wiring of each light bar.

https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/filters/xpf-20a-wired-in-noise-filter.html
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/specialty-devices/filters/xpnr-noise-reducer.html

RE: the choir lights, are they LED also? Or still incandescent? If incandescent, what is total wattage? If all are LEDs, I would try an incandescent in the circuit and check for improvement. Being 18 years ago, all your X10 wall switches are non AGC (automatic gain control) . ALSO you might call Authinx to confirm if the newer wall switches have AGC and try an AGC model to see if that helps the non responding light bars.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.