Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37769 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2018, 03:43:02 PM »

My emailing of camera pics works great if my security console is tripped :)%
However sometimes my cameras are not pointed where I'd like.
I've created link type programs specifying the camera preset and it works if I manually click on it.
However if I create a macro that turns on a light and triggers the link the camera doesn't move even though the light comes on.
since the light comes on the trigger is working I'm just missing something for the firing of the link.
Does anyone have any experience with firing a link in a macro?
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

My emailing of camera pics works great if my security console is tripped :)%
However sometimes my cameras are not pointed where I'd like.
I've created link type programs specifying the camera preset and it works if I manually click on it.
However if I create a macro that turns on a light and triggers the link the camera doesn't move even though the light comes on.
since the light comes on the trigger is working I'm just missing something for the firing of the link.
Does anyone have any experience with firing a link in a macro?

If your program works manually maybe you could either add a wait in the macro after the light comes on or maybe call a separate macro to execute the camera movement after the light comes on. Sounds like your macro is terminating too quickly before your camera moves
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 06:19:49 PM by petera »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2018, 05:24:22 AM »

I reversed to order things get fired in the macro with no change. B:(

Last night I thought of using HA-Bridge to send the turn command since I have HG controlling HA-Bridge devices this won't be a big change.
I know I can turn the camera manually and with Alexa from HA-Bridge using it in windows so it should be no problem running it from my pi.
I'll attempt this today.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »

I reversed to order things get fired in the macro with no change. B:(

Last night I thought of using HA-Bridge to send the turn command since I have HG controlling HA-Bridge devices this won't be a big change.
I know I can turn the camera manually and with Alexa from HA-Bridge using it in windows so it should be no problem running it from my pi.
I'll attempt this today.

If you modify the Emailing Pictures app in HG to include camera movement you'll probably achieve what you want.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »

Originally that was my plan but since I have 3 moveable cameras and may wish to move each to a different preset on different sensor triggers this was the simplest approach. I also don't wish to email pictures each time a sensor is triggered.
I also thought about modifying the camera app to include 4 presets (I may still do that later).
In any case I have added the presets to HA-Bridge and the macro now works at least for my first PTZ camera. :)%
The others are HD cameras so the code is different. I thought I had that on my laptop but I guess it is only on a thumb drive and my development machine neither of which I have access to here. B:(
Since HG the camera app currently will not allow any movement of the cameras I can now move the cameras to programed presets.
I have codes for up to 8 presets so that increases my total viewable camera pics to far more then I'll ever need. I realy only need 3 or 4 presets per outside camera to cover the whole property. 3 presets for the inside camera will cover the doors. Although the windows do have sensors on them it is unlikely they will be used to break in as they are high off the ground so I'm not planing to turn a camera specificaly to them.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »

Originally that was my plan but since I have 3 moveable cameras and may wish to move each to a different preset on different sensor triggers this was the simplest approach. I also don't wish to email pictures each time a sensor is triggered.
I also thought about modifying the camera app to include 4 presets (I may still do that later).
In any case I have added the presets to HA-Bridge and the macro now works at least for my first PTZ camera. :)%
The others are HD cameras so the code is different. I thought I had that on my laptop but I guess it is only on a thumb drive and my development machine neither of which I have access to here. B:(
Since HG the camera app currently will not allow any movement of the cameras I can now move the cameras to programed presets.
I have codes for up to 8 presets so that increases my total viewable camera pics to far more then I'll ever need. I realy only need 3 or 4 presets per outside camera to cover the whole property. 3 presets for the inside camera will cover the doors. Although the windows do have sensors on them it is unlikely they will be used to break in as they are high off the ground so I'm not planing to turn a camera specificaly to them.

That's certainly a solution but with the HG app each camera is addressed individually therefore you could conceivably add a line of code addressing the presets of each camera after the light goes on and prior to taking the photos. It would be interesting to see what you come up with using C# code

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:42 AM »

The C# code will have to wait till I get into my coding mode in the winter (HA season)
I'm not sure if I'll modify the email pictures program or the camera program or both right now.
I've updated my OP to reflect more accurately what I've acomplished thus far with my Pi setup.

The other day I was looking at Magic Mirrors using a Pi and this has got me thinking about playing with creating one. ::) :'
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Magic-Mirror/
Just another HA season project, As if I don't have enough of those now! ::) :'
I figure I could add a HG client to this.
 >!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:23:16 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »

I've been researching the Magic (Smart) Mirror possibilities (Rainy day here :( ).
There is open source code for this with several user created modules for almost every thing :)%
https://github.com/MichMich/MagicMirror
There also is a dedicated forum for the magic mirror https://forum.magicmirror.builders/
The amount of module additions for this is mind blowing staggering, yet when it comes to HA only a domoticz and maybe Home Assistant modules are currently available. :(
https://github.com/MichMich/MagicMirror/wiki/3rd-Party-Modules
 -:) I may have to rethink my HA software choice or code or wait for a HG module.
 >!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:39:01 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2018, 07:53:13 AM »

I went through the Magic Mirror module list again and there appears to be modules for more HA software that supports X10 then I originally thought.
However nothing for HG specifically. It may be possible to get one of the current modules work with HG but I suspect you'd need to use more then one to get all your devices HG. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2018, 08:49:06 PM »

I went through the Magic Mirror module list again and there appears to be modules for more HA software that supports X10 then I originally thought.
However nothing for HG specifically. It may be possible to get one of the current modules work with HG but I suspect you'd need to use more then one to get all your devices HG. B:(

I don't see you getting much in the way of support over on the HG forum on that. You will probably get a bit of interest. I'm afraid you'll probably have to get down and dirty to implement X10 for that in HG. Bkenobi on here is probably your most seasoned X10 user on the HG forum. The two main contributors on the HG project at present have little or no interest in X10.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »

The magic mirror support wouldn't need to be protocol specific.
In fact I wouldn't wish it to be as I have several other protocols in use.

Since I can display a web page I could create what ever things I wished in a HG group and have that displaying.
I don't even need the magic mirror software as I could auto display HG on reboots.
There really are several ways to approach the smart mirror display info.
I actually ordered a piece of two way mirror to test things.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:23 AM »

HG only had the level of X10 support because I pushed Gene to fix things early on (my opinion, maybe not his).  It is fully capable at this point.  But, the point of how Gene wrote HG was that he provided a framework that other users could contribute modules of code to update.  He wanted to generate the HA container for all of the users that were supposed to show up and add plugins to.  Unfortunately, there were only a small handful of contributors besides myself that posted large projects.  In the end, Gene didn't get the wide support he expected and had to provide all of the support for free which (I think) burned him on the project.

That said, it's still one of the best HA projects and can be fully implemented.  It can also be added on to with a variety of codes so it's certainly not dead for someone who has a special need and the coding expertise!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:35 PM »

That said, it's still one of the best HA projects and can be fully implemented.  It can also be added on to with a variety of codes so it's certainly not dead for someone who has a special need and the coding expertise!

Couldn't agree more with you on that point. The key here is "the coding expertise". Users migrating from AHP might find the learning curve a little too much though. If its just for X10 use then possibly one of the willing experienced users of HG could help any potential users of HG through the setup process but the potential user will eventually have to get their hands dirty with the Raspbian OS. The potential user will have to be patient to get to the point where they can work away on their own.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »

but the potential user will eventually have to get their hands dirty with the Raspbian OS
I'm not sure I 100% agree with that. If the end user is migrating from AHP they most likely only want X10 control as something else is controling any other protocol they may be using.
It is statements like that that scare most new users away from trying a PI for X10.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2018, 04:57:30 PM »

but the potential user will eventually have to get their hands dirty with the Raspbian OS
I'm not sure I 100% agree with that. If the end user is migrating from AHP they most likely only want X10 control as something else is controling any other protocol they may be using.
It is statements like that that scare most new users away from trying a PI for X10.

That being the case but how do you update your OS without some form of interaction with the OS when you are using a headless server. That's what I'm referring to as the basics.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.