Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi  (Read 37766 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: What I'd like to do with X10 and my Pi
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »

In reality if your only using your Pi for X10 there is no need to update the OS
Moving to a new OS leads to all kinds of issues with old software running.
That's why there are so many AHP users still running it on XP or Win 98.

Myself I like to keep my OS on the most recent it makes it far easier when it is no longer supported if something goes wrong and your forced to update.

With a PI you can just do a fresh install of everything using the newest OS just like one does for initial install, then just run the HG restore (assuming they did backups)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »

In reality if your only using your Pi for X10 there is no need to update the OS
Moving to a new OS leads to all kinds of issues with old software running.
That's why there are so many AHP users still running it on XP or Win 98.

Myself I like to keep my OS on the most recent it makes it far easier when it is no longer supported if something goes wrong and your forced to update.

With a PI you can just do a fresh install of everything using the newest OS just like one does for initial install, then just run the HG restore (assuming they did backups)

You certainly could but with so many security issues these days I wouldn't advise it. I certainly wouldn't expose a Windows 98 or a Windows XP to the outside world these days either. It's like playing Russian Roulette  >!

Ps do bear in mind that if you use notifications on HG your credentials are broadcast unencrypted over the network too. I did highlight this to the guys working on HG a while back. Not sure if they changed this. Scary when you watch this on the log. B:(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:38:25 PM by petera »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »

I'm not sure many expose their X10 systems to the net.
Viewing the log and seeing credentials in the log does not mean someone on the web can see them.
I doubt the logging has been change as it appears the main developement seems to be focused arround fixing the installer and moving to Docker instead of Mono
I certainly wouldn't expose a Windows 98 or a Windows XP to the outside world these days either. It's like playing Russian Roulette  >!
And yet so many small to medium sized business do  B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »

While waiting for my two way mirror to arrive I did a bit of research the Magic Mirror forum was very helpful this way.
It looks like it may not be possible to do a touch screen info center with the mirror I ordered :(
However it will still make for a nice info center with which I can use Alexa or Google control. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »

…. I did a bit of research the Magic Mirror forum was very helpful this way.

Who would have guessed.... a forum dedicated to building magic mirrors.

… It looks like it may not be possible to do a touch screen info center with the mirror I ordered :(
However it will still make for a nice info center with which I can use Alexa or Google control. ;)

That's all for the better Tuice. You'd be cleaning fingerprints off that mirror morning, noon, and night. I looking forward to following your progress on the mirror.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2018, 09:11:53 PM »

That's all for the better Tuice. You'd be cleaning fingerprints off that mirror morning, noon, and night. I looking forward to following your progress on the mirror.
LOL ya I had thought of that, The touch was more for disarming my security Alexa can do that but not with the alarm going.
Now to figure out the info I want displaying ::) :' I've been indirectly told I have too many clocks in my off grid place so that's out. Weather info is always nice, Maybe top news headline, knowing what door is open or closed,
I guess it will depend on if I use a tablet or phone for this. The tablet will allow for more info like todays calendar events.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »

Seems there was a delay with my mirror order getting processed B:( so I won't see it till next week now! :(
That might be a good thing as I try to get caught up on posts on the Magic Mirror forum and figure which way to go for installing.
Although magic mirror is designed as a PI project I've read posts of PIs not capable of running much with it.
Seems it will run better in server mode however in my case it maybe better to either run it from another PI or a Linux or windows PC ( yep it will install on Windows)
https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/4089/complete-walkthrough-install-magicmirror-on-a-pc-windows-7-10
I'll attempt a PI install first but suspect my 3B+ will hang as I think I have it maxed out with HG, and HA-Bridge running while streaming. adding another server may just be too much. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »

…… Now to figure out the info I want displaying ::) :' I've been indirectly told I have too many clocks in my off grid place so that's out. Weather info is always nice, Maybe top news headline, knowing what door is open or closed...

IMHO... current weather "news" is about as useful as time [clock]. I am usually aware of both. But my wife has gotten somewhat attached to the weather map doppler radar image.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »

The Doppler radar image would be cool on the mirror! I actually prefer this as well, it gives me a better picture of what to expect. I was concerned about adding Magic Mirror (MM)to my Pi but I've read a post were a user had a camera, Domoticz, Ha-bridge and Alexa running on a Pi 3b as well as several extra modules for MM and not in server mode.
https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/6783/my-magic-mirror-100x70cm?page=1
I'm not sure what the camera is user for but there is a MM face detection module. I suspect that maybe to much for their Pi however. ::) :'
Since I have the 3b+ there is a bit more power in my board, I'm now a bit more confident I'll have no issue in server mode.
I'm currently helping debug the Docker installation restore function of the new HGBE build so I don't have a spare SD card on hand to play with yet.
There is a docker install for MM which I found so I may be able to test that out. ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:14 PM »

…. I'm not sure what the camera is used for....

Whereas.... facial recognition may be HUGE in the near future... today not so much. But depending on where you locate the mirror a camera with an outside view (front door?) might be handy. Or... maybe a back door view if you have a dog. Or driveway if a lot of people are coming and going.

I've switched all my camera views over to phone (and tablet) apps (although I do have a TV/Monitor at the HD units source). The phone apps at great... but if I really wanted a peek at who was at the door before I opened the door.... getting the app view is a bit slow. I've considered setting up a quicker, voice controlled, camera view.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:45 PM »

I wouldn't think the facial recognition would be much use unless there were several users of the mirror and they each wished a different info display. The ability to display different modules for different users is a nice ability and would not require Voice commands which could also be done.

I've only breifly looked at what the facial recognition can do with the Mirror, it can be setup to send a pic via email on seeing a particular user so maybe send an email if the user wasn't in the data base.
 ::) :'
It might also be usable as an extra means of occupancy detection. ;)

I've though about adding camera feeds which display only on command I can move them now with Alexa and they do display in HG rather nicely now.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »

I wouldn't think the facial recognition would be much use unless there were several users of the mirror and they each wished a different info display.

My guess is when the tech is more accessible... Face recon will become the PIN number or remote for setting or deactivating the Security Alarm. And maybe running certain routines (heating/AC). Of course.... most of that can be done with phone Geo-fencing, right now.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2018, 07:15:35 AM »

I installed Magic Mirror on my PI the other day (took for ever to install)  ::) :'
I mainly wanted to see how well it would work with HG and my X10 setup. I installed the full version not just the Server part which is what I'll be using. I see now most users are using either the onboard Pi camera or a USB one more for motion detection,
though you can have it take pics. I've not configured MM just yet but the full version does tax my Pi 3B+ so I'm expecting some instability. :(
I've read the server version will run on a first gen PI so running that will be the way to go I believe.
I've also got my SmartMirror frame which will hold my x10 Airpad just about finished I just have to paint it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2018, 11:11:55 AM »

I installed Magic Mirror on my PI the other day (took for ever to install)  ::) :'
I mainly wanted to see how well it would work with HG and my X10 setup. I installed the full version not just the Server part which is what I'll be using. I see now most users are using either the onboard Pi camera or a USB one more for motion detection,
though you can have it take pics. I've not configured MM just yet but the full version does tax my Pi 3B+ so I'm expecting some instability. :(
I've read the server version will run on a first gen PI so running that will be the way to go I believe.
I've also got my SmartMirror frame which will hold my x10 Airpad just about finished I just have to paint it.

Interesting project. Good idea to offload some of the heavier work to a second Pi if you feel you are hitting limitations on your original one.

I'm running some other projects on a Rock64 (same profile as a Raspberry Pi) running Armbian64. The 4gb of memory coupled with the faster 1.6 ghz Arm Cortex processor covers the overhead that the Raspberry Pi falls short on.

I must throw Home Genie onto an SD card and test it on this board. Reckon it would be overkill though !!!!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »

I must throw Home Genie onto an SD card and test it on this board. Reckon it would be overkill though !!!!
I guess it depends on what all HG is controlling if it is a simple X10 setup then I'd say yep it's over kill.
I even think the Pi 3 B+ is over kill just for X10, thus the reasoning for me pushing the limits.
I fired up Magic Mirror in server mode and can access it from my laptop :)%
I suspect I'll need to play with my memory allocations on the PI as I do use the desktop.
I can't access Magic mirror from my Tablet yet (just get a black screen) so I may need to install another browser.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.