🔌General Home Automation > User Modified Devices

SBC inside a CM15A

<< < (2/8) > >>

Noam:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on June 24, 2018, 05:38:23 AM ---It would be cheaper to print just the ring but with out removing  the battery compartment of the cm15 the spacer ring would need to be much deeper then actually needed. The CM15 doesn't need batteries with a Pi inside so the battery compartment is wasted space.

I've ordered a cheep white case for a Pi 3 which I had planned on adding to a CM15 for a 3B+ mod. I might getaway with just adding half the case to the top of the upper case shell of the CM15. ::) :'

--- End quote ---

Cutting out the back of the battery compartment *would* certainly free up that space, would keep the look of the front shell "stock" on the outside, and would still allow the use of the original screws to attach it. At the same time, though, there are no connections (that I can tell) being made to the guts of the CM15A. So, attaching a Pi case to the front of the CM15A would be a another way to go (and that's what I was planning on doing, if I ever find the time to play with this).
Printing a new front shell would probably be the most space-efficient way to do it, but would require more filament than printing a slightly thicker ring. And as I understand it, large flat things are more difficult to print without distortion than things that don't have as much surface area on the bed. I also think that designing it as a ring might be an easier task.

But that decision is probably best left to each person who decides they want to do this mod. :-)

Tuicemen:
A Pi zero ring would allow access to all ports.
 The only issue I see with doing any ring print for the larger boards  is the inability to easily get at the SD card slot because of how the board has to sit . :(
However the only reason you would need to get at the SD card slot is to replace the card its self.
A pi case for any of the models will mount to the front of the CM15A this was my original idea for ordering the 3B white case (Mine is currently black)

bkenobi:
I have no dog in the fight, but I'd recommend considering printing a new cover.  The reason is that you can then add attachment points for the RPi to the new shell, you can have openings (maybe even snap off or replaceable) for access to ports, and it would look sleeker.  The second choice for me would be either removing the battery compartment divider.  I suppose if I didn't want to cut the case up yet, I'd also consider simply using the ink pen spacer approach (maybe find something nicer looking though).

Tuicemen:

--- Quote from: bkenobi on June 25, 2018, 04:27:52 AM ---I have no dog in the fight, but I'd recommend considering printing a new cover.  The reason is that you can then add attachment points for the RPi to the new shell, you can have openings (maybe even snap off or replaceable) for access to ports, and it would look sleeker.
--- End quote ---
If I had access to a 3D printer this would be my first choice. This way you could add ventilation slots too as the newer Cm15As run a bit hotter then the older ones with the daughter boards, I suspect the 3B+ also runs hotter then the 3 or 2 PIs.
 >!

Noam:

--- Quote from: Tuicemen on June 25, 2018, 04:38:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: bkenobi on June 25, 2018, 04:27:52 AM ---I have no dog in the fight, but I'd recommend considering printing a new cover.  The reason is that you can then add attachment points for the RPi to the new shell, you can have openings (maybe even snap off or replaceable) for access to ports, and it would look sleeker.
--- End quote ---
If I had access to a 3D printer this would be my first choice. This way you could add ventilation slots too as the newer Cm15As run a bit hotter then the older ones with the daughter boards, I suspect the 3B+ also runs hotter then the 3 or 2 PIs.
 >!

--- End quote ---

After reading the comments after my initial idea of the 3D printed ring, and after I took a look at one of my spare CM15A units last night, I want to change my vote in favor of the "replacement front cover" idea - over my original "spacer ring" one.  That's just a better idea for a lot of reasons.

Since I don't have a 3D printer (or someone to design the cover for me), I'll probably end up using one of the spare Pi 2's I have, taking an off-the-shelf case, and sticking it to the front of the CM15A -with the USB/Network end facing down. I just have to find the time to do it :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version