Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Insteon devices that still support X10  (Read 3521 times)

x10wizard

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Insteon devices that still support X10
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:14 PM »

I just purchased a new 2334-222 Dimmer Keypad and a new 2477D Dimmer Switch from Smarthome. I bench tested both, and both still support X10, as I was able to add an X10 address by following the usual method in the instruction manual. The 2334-222 Dimmer Keypad is Revision 8.0 with date code 4517, and the 2477D Dimmer Switch is Revision 8.2 with date code 3117.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:14:25 PM by x10wizard »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Insteon devices that still support X10
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:00:01 PM »

A bit pricey (OK... a whole LOT pricey).... but the Universal Device Hub will allow the use of X10 with Alexa.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Devices-Automation-Controller-ISY994i/dp/B00PX7S21Y
Home Automation is an always changing technology

x10wizard

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:56:39 AM »

The point I am making is that X10 is still supported in these two devices, contrary to the rumor that Insteon had already removed X10 from them.

For people (like myself) who only use X10 and not Insteon, these two devices, the 2477D Dimmer Switch and the 2334-222 Dimmer Keypad, are very elegant wall mounted controllers, for which there are no other comparable X10 devices.  The Authinix/X10 wall switches are not true rocker switches, and the Authinix/X10 XP4 (and the like) keypads, without labels or backlighting, aren't even in the same class as the Insteon keypads.

The Insteon Dimmer Keypads are not that expensive when bought in 4-packs and when using a 20% off sale coupon code (about $51 each).  Same for the Insteon Dimmer Switches (about $30 each).

In my house, I have 11 Insteon Keypads (operating in X10 mode only).  I don't need Insteon capability nor the ISY controller, as I still use two 1132CUs with Smarthome Manager Plus.  With the JVDE XTB-IIR+, I get 100% reliability in a system that has about 90 X10 devices.  Simple, easy, reliable, that's what I have.  If my 1132CUs ever fail, maybe I'll get the ISY and switch over some things to Insteon, or I'll get the WM100 (if it is improved enough) and stick with everything being X10.

The whole Alexa thing, continually listening to every spoken word, seems rather creepy to me.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:32:54 AM »

...... The whole Alexa thing, continually listening to every spoken word, seems rather creepy to me.

Your not alone with that.... feeling. Many here.... that have longtime connections to home automation... have rejected AI, and cloud-based computing. But machines can no more "listen" to you.... than a remote can "wait" for you to push a button. Or a camera or motion sensor can "see" you.

They are just machines. But... computers, processors, hardware, cleverly written code, and servers packed with relevant data.... has created an Artificial Intelligence that has changed Home Automation.

90 X10 devices.... are a LOT. It sounds like you've created a wonderful system. But recent changes made available by Amazon and/or google offer a whole new world of possibilities. And... it's not creepy at all.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »

Glad to read of your findings.
Some modules have removed X10 from their products.
The 2635-222 On/Off module is also listed as no X10 support. I have some date code:5014 REV1.3. That kind of work but not very well. Sometimes the X10 address programmed into them just vanishes or needs three or more hits to change states.
With the XTB-IIR in place the outlet has over 1.5 volts of X10 signals. Though it could be power supply issues. They have a small switching supply in them and Smartlabs choice of capacitors has made some of their models fail after a few years.

Now that Smartlabs and Smarthome where sold to Richmond Capital Partners. That seem to be iot driven. Who knows what path they will be taking.
https://www.insteon.com/press-releases-blog/2017/6/13/richmond-capital-partners-acquires-smartlabs-and-fortifies-company-with-73-million-in-funding-to-accelerate-the-companys-push-in-the-iot-industry
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:30:51 AM by Brian H »

x10wizard

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »

Meh, as long as you don't murder someone and talk about it in front of Alexa, you should be fine.   :o

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »

I still say Alexa is a little bit creepy.

I understand. Your feelings are real.... But no feeling... is tangible. 

Meh, as long as you don't murder someone and talk about it in front of Alexa, you should be fine.   :o

Modern governments only prosecute those they want punished... regardless of crimes. So feel free to commit any crime in front of any machine you wish. It's still PEOPLE you have to worry about.

Besides.... thanks to the governments use of Ancient Alien technologies... I am pretty sure the authorities (which may be "Gray's" in disguise) are just skipping the middleman and reading our minds. If you didn't know that.... it's only because you live in an area that already has "Mind Control" installed in the power grid. So... it's too late for you anyway.  :'

OR MAYBE.... it's just the paradigms we constructed for and by ourselves... in childhood... that are in conflict with the real world today.

Like the thousands of people convinced that cars would NEVER replace the trusted companionship of horses... fighting “tooth and nail” against automobiles for an entire generation. Or EVEN TODAY... those who cling to the romantic idea of trains crisscrossing the landscape like my own Great-grandfather once envisioned as the future.

I don't mean to ridicule, make-fun-of, or insult those who can't shake their "programing" and accept modern tech. But after all... this is a Home Automation forum. If Home Automation fails to keep-up with the progressing technology.... we might as well just have kids or grandkids turn the TV channels (or lights on and off) for us.... like my Dad did before he got the TV with the Zenith Space Command.... the original "CLICKER" (circa 1956). I know 1956 seems like yesterday.... but it wasn't. Remote control has been around a very long time.... and the servo-controllers (Dad briefly had one of those too) pre-dated the clickers. Thankfully we don't have to live or think like poor old Ned Ludd (of Luddite fame). We have the knowledge of the past... and therefore we aren't forced to repeat the same old mistakes.

I don't JUST embrace the AI and cloud based technologies.... I advocate for them. I mean.... sliced bread was once pretty darn cool stuff... but nothing compared to AI.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:28:10 PM by HA Dave »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »

One of my Insteon 2466SW ToggleLinc switches (about 10 years old, by my estimate) just died last week.
I ordered two more from Amazon (one as a replacement, the other as a spare - since I've got a bunch of them installed around the house).
I figured that if it didn't support X10 (the quick start guide it came with didn't mention it), I'd just return them and then figure out my options.
Thankfully, the one I installed (didn't write down the date code before I installed it) took an X10 address just fine.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.