💬General Category > General Discussion

It’s time to move on

(1/22) > >>

Gismo:
I’m one of the users that started with the Radio Shack powerhouse units many many years ago. I have a moderate amount of x10 stuff, but  recently, with new led bulbs, phone charges, my cma15 needs to reinstall every so often, and other noise problems, it’s getting to be a PITA. I don’t see me going to the new WiFi unit when it’s not a good as the cma15. So I think it is time to move on. With all the Alexa switches, plugs and other HA equipment dropping in price it’s a no Brainer.
Just like many others, I was hoping for new x10software, a good WiFi unit and more home  automation units.

With iPhones, iPods, and my Alexa I hardly use my computer. So it’s time to
Make life a little easier and put my x10 to rest. It was a fun ride.

Thanks for the forum and all the help I’ve received over the years.

Life is short, enjoy while you can !

BackAgain:

--- Quote from: Gismo on June 10, 2018, 04:15:53 PM --- With all the Alexa switches, plugs and other HA equipment dropping in price it’s a no Brainer.

With iPhones, iPods, and my Alexa I hardly use my computer.

--- End quote ---

I will NOT have a hub that phones home, telecommunicates with a mother ship every time I want to turn a light on or off or listens and talks back to me.  Ain't a 'gonna happen.

But I'm also scrapping most of the X-10 stuff due to recurring problems.  I'm going old school though, timers and photocells.

As for PCs, I'd be lost without one.  I can't imagine typing all this on a 5" screen with no keyboard.

Tuicemen:
It is always difficult to mix old with new but not impossible.
Moving on to newer tech without fixing things that affect the old may follow your move.
Each HA protocol has its pros and cons.
The power of the CM15 is hard to find in many newer HA setups.
I moved my HA setup to a $7 Pi but still use the CM15a and a few other newer Protocols.
My Setup is not connected to my PC but it has the power of being that way.
Newer devices always have a slow options implementation but we have grown to want everything now or yesterday.

I can't imagin going back to old school options timers and Photocells.
I've been using Voice activation of things for far to long now and simple time activation of things just won't cut it.

bkenobi:
If you are planning on moving to a different standard, I would personally recommend finding an HA program that supports multiple.  I picked HG, but there are others that do the same for varying costs and with varying support systems.  If you do that, you can slowly move from one to the other and maybe even to something down the road that isn't even invented yet.  I personally am not a fan of some X10 components, but others work fine.  Mixing standards seems to be the ideal solution IMO.

HA Dave:
It is... and always has been... time to move on. Onward and upwards!

Home Automation is now, and always has been a technology driven endeavor. There ain't nothin static about Home Automation... and there never will be. Even back a decade ago when I first went with voice controlled X10 (using BVC) many wanted to control music and movie collections with voice control. None of this stuff began with Amazon's Alexa.... and it sure as hell is not going to end here.

Sure... X10 began with a remote control that could turn lights on and off remotely. What.... 43 years ago?!?!? Home Automation has been processor (computer) controlled for more than half that. And Internet integration is nothing new to anyone reading this either. And Home Automation is MUCH more than turning lights on and off.

The cloud.... a fancy way of saying server... is integral to the Internet. And the Internet... like it or not, fear it or not... is integral to modern life.

My Home Automation setup has been growing and building, evolving, and changing... since I opened my first package with the X10 logo on it. I hope the evolution NEVER stops... and I hope I can keep up with the changes too. I plan to continue to "move on" with my setup. And X10 has earned a place in that future setup too. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version