🔌General Home Automation > JDS/Stargate

JDS Technologies Status

(1/5) > >>

JeffVolp:
The JDS Technologies website is in a "parked" condition.  JDS made the well known Stargate years ago, and more recently HomeRunner RBI.  Both supported X10 automation.  Amazon reports that HomeRunner RBI is currently unavailable.  Have we lost another of our X10 controller suppliers?

Jeff

HA Dave:
Sooner or later...….. sales will always reduce the competition to 2 or 3. There are a LOT of automation flavors out there right now. There will be fewer in the future. 

Brian H:
Sounds like we may have lost another X10 controller manufacturer.

ACT dropped their A10 line. Maybe a few years ago now.

Smarthome has said Insteon modules will no longer support an X10 Primary address in them. Though unofficially some still do but I suspect that can change at their discretion. Since they where sold last year to Richmond Capital Partners. Who knows what direction they will now go.

brobin:
I was in touch with Jeff Stein today and he said all is well and he's consolidating his website so it's offline right now.

I started using his Time Commander product around 1995 and a few years later upgraded to the Stargate product.  The Time Commander was basically a sophisticated X10 controller with extremely flexible programming capabilities.  The Stargate built on that with the addition of multiple serial ports, RS-485 & digital & analog inputs and relay outputs.  On top of that, an optional telephony card could be added that could dial calls, answer and provide auto attendant with voice and sound effects and, of course, provide X10 and relay control. Another board was developed to provide an internet interface and server as well as support Palm Pads (remember those?) and send email.  There was also support for RCS thermostats (both X10 & RS-485) and tight integration with Caddx alarm panels. There was also an IR add-on, LCD keypads and an I/O expander and more.  I still use Stargates in two homes to this day and maintain some spare boards.  When the UPB protocol came out there was an update to interface to that too.  I've yet to find a product that offers as much flexibility.

Jeffs most recent product was the HomeRunner RBI which is an Insteon & X10 controller and acts as a server. This was developed just before apps became the latest & greatest. 

JeffVolp:
That's great news!

We were using the old blue clock X10 timer when the Time Commander came out.  I wanted to buy one, but it was beyond our budget.  Then I became a beta tester for the CM11A and never released CM14A.  I looked at HomeRunner RBI when it replaced Stargate, but at the time it did not support extended commands.

Maybe Jeff Stein has something else up his sleeve for the future.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version