Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: JDS Technologies Status  (Read 16206 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
JDS Technologies Status
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:06:25 AM »

The JDS Technologies website is in a "parked" condition.  JDS made the well known Stargate years ago, and more recently HomeRunner RBI.  Both supported X10 automation.  Amazon reports that HomeRunner RBI is currently unavailable.  Have we lost another of our X10 controller suppliers?

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: JDS Technologies Status
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »

Sooner or later...….. sales will always reduce the competition to 2 or 3. There are a LOT of automation flavors out there right now. There will be fewer in the future. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:06:56 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »

Sounds like we may have lost another X10 controller manufacturer.

ACT dropped their A10 line. Maybe a few years ago now.

Smarthome has said Insteon modules will no longer support an X10 Primary address in them. Though unofficially some still do but I suspect that can change at their discretion. Since they where sold last year to Richmond Capital Partners. Who knows what direction they will now go.

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »

I was in touch with Jeff Stein today and he said all is well and he's consolidating his website so it's offline right now.

I started using his Time Commander product around 1995 and a few years later upgraded to the Stargate product.  The Time Commander was basically a sophisticated X10 controller with extremely flexible programming capabilities.  The Stargate built on that with the addition of multiple serial ports, RS-485 & digital & analog inputs and relay outputs.  On top of that, an optional telephony card could be added that could dial calls, answer and provide auto attendant with voice and sound effects and, of course, provide X10 and relay control. Another board was developed to provide an internet interface and server as well as support Palm Pads (remember those?) and send email.  There was also support for RCS thermostats (both X10 & RS-485) and tight integration with Caddx alarm panels. There was also an IR add-on, LCD keypads and an I/O expander and more.  I still use Stargates in two homes to this day and maintain some spare boards.  When the UPB protocol came out there was an update to interface to that too.  I've yet to find a product that offers as much flexibility.

Jeffs most recent product was the HomeRunner RBI which is an Insteon & X10 controller and acts as a server. This was developed just before apps became the latest & greatest. 

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:45:09 PM »

That's great news!

We were using the old blue clock X10 timer when the Time Commander came out.  I wanted to buy one, but it was beyond our budget.  Then I became a beta tester for the CM11A and never released CM14A.  I looked at HomeRunner RBI when it replaced Stargate, but at the time it did not support extended commands.

Maybe Jeff Stein has something else up his sleeve for the future.

Jeff

brobin

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:47:41 AM »

The JDSTechnologies site is back up at: http://www.jdstechnologies.com/hrrbi/

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

A customer asked me about alternate X10 controllers.  He needs one that sends pre-set dim commands.  Back when I considered the JDS HomeRunner RBI for our own system I believe it supported pre-set dim commands.  But when I checked again today, HomeRunner seems to have been discontinued.  The link to purchase it on the JDS website appears to be broken.  Does anyone know its status or if JDS has replaced it with something else?

Jeff

brobin

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 04:01:31 PM »

The product had limiited success and I believe has been discontinued but I believe it does support preset dim as the Stargate does. I was a beta tester on the HRRBI and still have one connected though not really doing anything. It supports both X10 & Insteon. Jeff Stein, the owner of JDS is a great guy and if you call or email him you might find that he has one available. I know you guys would enjoy talking to each other!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »

I heard back from Jeff Stein.  HomeRunner RBI was discontinued, and none are available.  He didn't respond to my question whether it was replaced with a newer product.

Jeff

brobin

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »

Nothing I know of is in the works. Jeff's in the same age group as many of us here and I think he's spending more time on his musical interests.  I'm holding on to the HRRBI I have as a backup for the web interface board in the Stargate. It's the only board for which I don't have a spare and the HRRBI can serve as a networked front end to the Stargate if I ever need it.

Delphi1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 09:10:26 PM »

Hi guys,
Does anybody have a copy of the HRBI program? No place to download it from.
Thanks.

brobin

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 09:53:29 PM »

I'll send whatever I have in the morning.

brobin

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 01:16:37 AM »

UPDATED 12/31/20:

Here's a link to the HRRBI software. 

https://anonfiles.com/h2V3xaGfxd/HRRBI_v1.22_bin

Link updated 1/2/22
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:32:13 PM by brobin »

Delphi1

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »

Thanks Robin, I appreciate it.

rnk

Re: JDS Technologies Homerunner
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 04:29:41 PM »

Hi All:

Does anybody have a copy of the Homerunner RBI program? Can't seem to find. Windows crashed and I lost my copy.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.