Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you like there to be a easy way to integrate (a) garage door opener(s) into a x10 System?

Yes.
- 4 (66.7%)
Yes, but only if there is also easy x10 integration with vehicles.
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 1 (16.7%)
No, but I would like there to be easy x10 integration with vehicles.
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Garage Door Opener(s) Integration.  (Read 11519 times)

Wii505

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Garage Door Opener(s) Integration.
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »

Back in the day Stanley (now merged with Black & Decker and DeWalt tools back in 2010) had some x10 Modules that would make integrating (a) Garage Door Opener(s) into a x10 System easier then it is with the PUM01 Universal Module. Personally, I think it would be cool to have a new take on the old Stanley Garage Door Status Transmitter and Garage Door Open Indicator (and yes that is what they the modules.) But what do you guy think about this idea? I would like to hear your feedback.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:56:09 AM by Wii505 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Garage Door Opener(s) Integration.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »

It may depend on the opener controls and opener mechanism.

Many of the latest openers send data and power. To the controller and opener mechanism on the wire pair between them.
You put a PUM01, PF284 or the 2450 I/OLinc across the the wire pair. To simulate a manual push button. It frequently resulted in the console power resetting and it clock display reset. So it may have to simulate the controllers data commands.

Wii505

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »

Ya, you do bring up a good point Brian H and to go along with it, I've seen a video with a guy that show that exact problem. Also dave w, this is what I was talking about https:// ebay.to /2lci7Uq

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »

….. I think it would be cool to have a new take on the old Stanley Garage Door Status Transmitter and Garage Door Open Indicator

But what do you guy think about this idea?

When my old LiftMaster garage door opener died.... I replaced it with a Chamberlain  myQ Garage door opener. It works GREAT. TOTALLY intergraded with all my home automation… either by the use of phone apps (my phones are the remotes) or through my Amazon-cloud setup.

I get great phone notices every time the door raises or lowers... and special notice if it is left open too long. It can even be set to close itself, of course. And operated from anywhere in the world. I even have an app that allows me to view the garage camera.

You can even add existing setups to myQ. https://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/smartphone-connectivity/myq-smart-garage-hub
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:15:29 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »

I have the LiftMaster MyQ and it works great.  The LiftMaster & Chamberlain products are virtually identical with LiftMaster being the line sold by pro installers/builders and Chamberlain being sold for DIY.  All the accessories are compatible across the line which is also sold under the Sears Craftsman brand. 

Dave, Now that you've got a new opener, consider using the Chamberlain CLSS1 System Surge Protector or LiftMaster LM990 (same product different box) to protect your investment. The circuit boards in these openers aren't cheap!  The protectors also connect to the button and sensor wires as they can pick up destructive charges.  You can find them on ebay and Walmart for under $20.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 03:28:26 PM »

I have the LiftMaster MyQ and it works great.  The LiftMaster & Chamberlain products are virtually identical with LiftMaster being the line sold by pro installers/builders and Chamberlain being sold for DIY. ...…

Yep. Being arthritic... I generally choose NOT to do over-head work... as that is particularly painful for me. But for the price of a regular (installed) LiftMaster…. I could install the myQ chamberlain unit with all the automated bells and whistles, myself. So... I installed the cool chamberlain unit myself... and suffered a bit (flat on my back) afterwards. For me.... it was worth the pain.

Now that you've got a new opener, consider using the Chamberlain CLSS1 System Surge Protector or LiftMaster LM990 (same product different box) to protect your investment. The circuit boards in these openers aren't cheap!  The protectors also connect to the button and sensor wires as they can pick up destructive charges.  You can find them on ebay and Walmart for under $20.

Great idea! I think I'll do that.

Wii505

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

The myQ System seems like a good idea, except the price is more then I'm reeling to pay at this time. But dose it work with x10, because I'm wanting something that dose?

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:10:59 AM »

The myQ System seems like a good idea, except the price is more then I'm reeling to pay at this time.

I understand.... price is always an issue for me. But myQ does have an add-on unit (I already linked to) that works with existing door openers.

You can even add existing setups to myQ. https://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/smartphone-connectivity/myq-smart-garage-hub

But dose it work with x10, because I'm wanting something that dose?

I am not sure I understand the question. myQ does NOT receive X10 RF or PLC's... if that is what you mean. But then again... X10 is NOT a secure technology... maybe NOT what you want to control a garage door.

BOTH X10 (when using the new WM-100 module) and myQ use WiFi app-based controllers...…... so the same phone(s) that controls and monitors my X10 also controls and monitors my garage door. Also my home-based X10 garage door macro still works. I've also used Homeseer to integrate my X10 system to work with Amazon's AI voice and cloud control. There are ways to do that OTHER than Homeseer (all mentioned here in various threads at the forum).

If desired.... I think most of these systems integrate now-a-days. And WiFi routers do NOT interfere with X10 RF or PLC. Nor does X10 interfere with routers either. I am using X10's WM-100, two each CM15A's, the Homeseer Hometroller (a Raspberry Pi based unit), the myQ server and Chamberlain opener, a Wink Hub, an X10 IR to PLC converter (IR-543), and three Amazon Alexa devices. They all work with X10 just fine.

Everything I own is either AI controlled using the cloud or home based computer and Internet (the Raspberry Pi), automated using the CM15A, controlled via voice control, the remote control functions of my phone apps (X10 as well as myQ), or by a fob on my keychain.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:14:17 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:29 AM »

Most modern automated devices can be made to work with X10.
If there is a API available a software solution can be created to control it.
MyQ has several parteners which can be made to control X10 or x10 comunicate to.

IFTTT is one example of where you could make X10 control your door opener though a subscription is required after a trial period.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »

IFTTT is one example of where you could make X10 control your door opener though a subscription is required after a trial period.

MyQ can be controlled through Wink, and via Amazon's Alexa. Any X10 setup compatible with the cloud should be easily controlled with an X10 input. I have X10 (homeseer) actions that work in conjunction with other Wink actions... via the Amazon Alexa app... and they work fine.

I have the option to setup myQ to open/close the garage door using a voice command through Alexa. I might even be able to use the mobile app and my iPhone to open the garage door through my cars speaker/microphone system. I am not sure how secure that would be... or how useful it would be for me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 09:28:36 AM by HA Dave »

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »

I have the LiftMaster MyQ and it works great.  The LiftMaster & Chamberlain products are virtually identical with LiftMaster being the line sold by pro installers/builders and Chamberlain being sold for DIY. ...…

Yep. Being arthritic... I generally choose NOT to do over-head work... as that is particularly painful for me. But for the price of a regular (installed) LiftMaster…. I could install the myQ chamberlain unit with all the automated bells and whistles, myself. So... I installed the cool chamberlain unit myself... and suffered a bit (flat on my back) afterwards. For me.... it was worth the pain.

Now that you've got a new opener, consider using the Chamberlain CLSS1 System Surge Protector or LiftMaster LM990 (same product different box) to protect your investment. The circuit boards in these openers aren't cheap!  The protectors also connect to the button and sensor wires as they can pick up destructive charges.  You can find them on ebay and Walmart for under $20.

Great idea! I think I'll do that.

BTW, If you install the 990LM or CLSS1 save the receipt!  If your opener fails from a transient voltage/surge/spike within 5 years they'll give you a new opener.

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »

MyQ can be controlled through Wink, and via Amazon's Alexa. Any X10 setup compatible with the cloud should be easily controlled with an X10 input. I have X10 (homeseer) actions that work in conjunction with other Wink actions... via the Amazon Alexa app... and they work fine.

I have the option to setup myQ to open/close the garage door using a voice command through Alexa. I might even be able to use the mobile app and my iPhone to open the garage door through my cars speaker/microphone system. I am not sure how secure that would be... or how useful it would be for me.

Hi HA Dave, it's been a few years!!!

Does MyQ with the Smart Garage Hub require a subscription for you to use with Wink and Alexa? I've been using Liftmaster's MyQ app with the bridge for my opener and in order to integrate it with Alexa, I'll need to use IFTTT. Liftmaster charges $10 per month for that.

I'm thinking of putting a couple of low voltage controllers in line between the light and the opener to bypass that.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »

Hi HA Dave, it's been a few years!!!

Does MyQ with the Smart Garage Hub require a subscription for you to use with Wink and Alexa? I've been using Liftmaster's MyQ app with the bridge for my opener and in order to integrate it with Alexa, I'll need to use IFTTT. Liftmaster charges $10 per month for that.…..

I don't use IFTTT, I pay no user fees.

Nest... which is partnered with myQ... is also Wink compatible. Wink has a skill that works with Alexa. But I don't "voice control" my garage door. Having a garage door that anyone could open (by yelling in a window)…. just doesn't sound secure. I don't know which Hubs control which protocols. I had researched that at one time... but I made my decisions and moved on. A little Google searching should be productive.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:28:07 PM by HA Dave »

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

A little Google searching should be productive.

Thanks, won't ask for your personal experience again.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.