Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The WM100 will surely fail...  (Read 5908 times)

ekraus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
The WM100 will surely fail...
« on: June 27, 2018, 01:17:02 AM »

The WM100 will surely fail if the developer doesn't get his or her act together. It could be a great product for X10 hardware.
I may leave it in for remote commands but i have 2 palm remotes so really don't need it. I have been testing the SONOFF hardware using stringfi and IFTTT.
I really only have one dimable light left but can live with ON/OFF. The SONOFF hardware works OK, I have even modified a 433Mhz remote makeing
it into a wall switch. If the WM100 doesn't have some kind of burst feature then it probably won't work for me. With my 1132CU I send the commands 3 times 2 seconds apart. It works for me.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: The WM100 will surely fail...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:33:50 AM »

The Sonoff hardware has been solid for me. Unfortunately their software has also been slow to develop ( maybe that is a China thing) I ended up flashing the safe voltage module just to get local control and Alexa integration. They now have a skill available but last time I tried local control it still wasn't available in their app. I do like the new looping timer option.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ekraus

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »

I thought about flashing the sonoff modules. But I don't want to write any code anymore. Been there done that.
I have to rely on the younger generation to do it. + at least sonoff is gaining popularity. Its tough enough using ewlink with IFTTT and Stringfi.
But the stuff works. I also like WIFI. I think its the way to go. Unfortunately there are to many different technologies available to smarten up your home.
Which one do you pick, do you co mingle? I gave up years ago when the blasted out Insteon. I was a dealer and the hardware was less then stellar.
It was pain to implement and the modules were junk. I must have returned 20 for warranty. Still have some that burned out years ago. I almost became a Control4 dealer, the stuff was great,But expensive. I think X10 is great with the extended protocol.
But for reliability the software has to be written to use that. And you need 2way modules. Its simple but doesn't seem to rocket science. Issue and ON command then send out a status request. If it comes back Status is off send the On command again. Simple loops would make the whole system more reliable. I still think WIFI is the way to go. And Sonoff got it right with the addition of 433MHz.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 02:17:36 AM »

You really have to mix protocols to get everything you want in HA although Sonoff continues to develop boards for different purposes.
I used a already available firmware (there are a few available) to flash to my Sonoff as I too didn't wish to create my own.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 02:28:38 AM »

Unfortunately their software has also been slow to develop ( maybe that is a China thing)

I'm starting to believe that is the case.  I've been looking at an inexpensive solder reflow oven.  Apparently the firmware that runs it is junk, and someone has written their own version.  Many of the reviews say that it is a good unit after the mod.

I'm afraid the WM100 will not reach its potential if Authinx continues to allow China to dictate how its software evolves.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

ekraus

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 02:29:45 AM »

I know there are several firmware's available, but which one to use.
I agree that you have to co mingle Protocols to get everything you want.
But I gave up on the idea of a total smarthome. Just think
Alarm, Cameras, Power Control, Temperature control, wifi locks, etc. And not one control system or interface does them all.
Its bad enough where you buy a product like Harmony Remote. Load it up and still have to use one of
the dedicated remotes to get the device to work. I went from 5 remotes to 1. And look at my couch,
5 remotes. Or you have to get up and fish out the one you need. Alexa and Google may be the saving grace but I doubt it.

ekraus

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:31:39 AM »

Jeff
You got it. China!
Its to bad the WM100 isn't open source.

ekraus

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 06:55:39 AM »

OK I am done with it.
C6 ON and OFF
Here is what my monitor got when I was in that app.
R: A6 - 1:22:59 PM 6/28/2018
R: A6 - 1:23:08 PM 6/28/2018
R: C6 - 1:23:35 PM 6/28/2018
R: A6 - 1:23:41 PM 6/28/2018

Here is what my monitor got when I used the palm remote.
R: C6 - 1:25:16 PM 6/28/2018
R: COn - 1:25:16 PM 6/28/2018
R: C6 - 1:25:19 PM 6/28/2018
R: COff - 1:25:19 PM 6/28/2018

When I pulled the data off the WM100 it showed it transmitted the C6 ON/OFF commands.
Although the light never came on or off. With the palm remote the light functions properly.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:06 AM »

Something isn't right there ask Authinx for a replacement or your money back.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ekraus

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 12:46:34 AM »

I sent them an email with the data in it lets see what happens.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »

I'm afraid the WM100 will not reach its potential if Authinx continues to allow China to dictate how its software evolves.
Jeff
I agree. Based on the responsiveness Authinx is currently getting, they should try and divorce the software from the hardware supplier.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ekraus

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »

So I got a response from them. I got this funny feeling that I am not going to be using the WM100
I'll share what they said. You would think they would be a little more concerned. I already cleared the unit a couple of times.

Hi Evan,
I'm sorry you are having issues with your WM100.
We have an update coming out next week regarding the Dusk/Dawn issues some people have been experiencing.
We have not received any other complaints regarding timers not working or the unit sending different commands than what was intended.
It may be possible that your unit is faulty or has some sort of bug.  You can try to manually clear the bug by performing a factory reset on the unit by holding down the Sync button on the WM100 for around 15 seconds (you will see a series of LED blinks).  In the app, you will need to go to settings and reset to factory settings as well in order to re-enter setup.
If this does not clear your issues, please let us know and we can work on getting a replacement unit sent.
Thanks,
X10 Support

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 09:04:48 AM »

Jeff
I agree. Based on the responsiveness Authinx is currently getting, they should try and divorce the software from the hardware supplier.
I noted earlier that it seems they are locked into the hardware/software supplier(s) associated with X10WTI. If so, they may suffer the same fate.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »

I noted earlier that it seems they are locked into the hardware/software supplier(s) associated with X10WTI. If so, they may suffer the same fate.
Bingo!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:20:44 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »

Being watching these posts on the WM100 unfold over the last while purely from a passing interest. The unit would be of no use to me (outside the US) but I have to say the situation seems to be going from bad to worse.

Between the delays on delivery dates, faulty firmware/software and many promises on substance but few on delivery, I for one would cash my chips in and return the unit for a refund before the stampede begins.

The developer/manufacturer clearly is way out of their depth here and I fear he/she may bitten off more than they can chew. What amazed me was their forward order book which any producer would bite your hand off in the current economic climate. Surely this alone would have prompted them to have a usable product to deliver. It clearly appears that this is not the case. What they do seem to have are excuses in limitless supply.

There are many alternatives out there to the legacy software AHP that will work quite comfortably with the X10 and the CM15 and in many cases have now surpassed its functionality. This has been demonstrated by Tuicemen and many others working with single board computers like the Raspberry Pi Zero and the relevant HA software.

Folks, I fear this little baby, the WM100 will end up being thrown out with the bath water. No doubt I'll be flamed by some for saying this but the evidence is mounting up against the WM100 if these post are anything to go by. Of course the court of public opinion will pass their own judgement, the buying public.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.