Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The WM100 will surely fail...  (Read 5913 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: The WM100 will surely fail...
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »

Folks, I fear this little baby, the WM100 will end up being thrown out with the bath water.
That may be more apropos than you know. The hardware is outstanding - it's the software/firmware that is problematic. Were they to release an API the WM100 could be an overwhelming success.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »

Folks, I fear this little baby, the WM100 will end up being thrown out with the bath water.
That may be more apropos than you know. The hardware is outstanding - it's the software/firmware that is problematic. Were they to release an API the WM100 could be an overwhelming success.

Do they have to go under before they do that. Seems bizarre that the hardware is outstanding yet it's starting to act like a door jam. What have they got to lose at this stage by releasing an API. A lot if they don't by the sounds of it.  B:(

ekraus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:53:02 PM »

petera You certainly won't get flamed by me.
Here is what I have.
2 - 1132CU one works OK. The Other one is new (well unused until I started using it a couple of weeks ago)
1 - CM11A (Kinda works)
1 - 1132B
2 - 1132U
1 - 2414U
And I think a couple more somewhere.
Lots of old X10 modules, switches. Insteon hardware.
And at one time I had just about any software written for those devices. But I cant find it.
I thought about buying a CM15 but then the WM100 popped up.
So the WM100 looked like a fresh start for x10 control.
Based on what I see, I threw out another $100 bucks on this technology.

One other thing I cant believe that there isn't a site where all the legacy x10 software can be uploaded and down loaded.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 02:01:46 AM »

X10 WTI hosted that software on dedicated servers. When they filed bankruptcy, those servers were shut down and transported to their new location, however they were damaged in transit and much of the data was lost.
Authinx has been attempting to retrieve that data and make it available to users however since it has been several years now I suspect all that data is lost. B:(
Some software like AHP was made backward compatible with some older X10 controllers prior to X10WTI going under.
However many programs X10WTI created required web activation and those servers are lost. :(

I had started to host different legacy X10 software and even supplied Authix links to some which were to have been added to the X10 Wiki site http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page.
How many actually are there I don't know. ::) :'

I created AHP lifejacket to register AHP and the plugins I had.
At the time I was working on that I asked users that had all plugins registered if they could supply some data to allow all users to have a full AHP compliment registered. Sadly no one contacted me that had all plugins registered and working. :(

I know the AHP SDK works with several x10 PC interface controllers even those not created by X10, so it may be AHP does as well. I'm not sure if anyone ever tried it. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ekraus

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 02:31:03 AM »

Well
I found some software and would be happy to upload it somewhere.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 03:53:00 AM »

If you PM me a list of what you have i'll  see about putting together something up on my server.
I'll then let you know what and where to email me.
I'll also forward the programs to Authinx so they can be added to the wiki or where ever they wish to host the files (if they wish to do that)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ekraus

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 01:09:34 AM »

Well I guess i threw out 100 bucks.
I am not sure when they found out that the Dusk/Dawn timers didn't work.
I seriously doubt that Authinx is going to support the WM100 sufficiently.
for me. And with my simple needs that says a lot.
I think the only way it will survive is if it were open source.

I have to build a couple of wall switches for my Sonoff modules.
Then its out with x10. And i will probably integrate some other WIFI technology.

Sorry Authinx you lost my business!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 05:21:50 AM »

I think the only way it will survive is if it were open source.

I have to build a couple of wall switches for my Sonoff modules.
Then its out with x10. And i will probably integrate some other WIFI technology.

Sorry Authinx you lost my business!
Are you aware of the Sonoff switches?https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-t1-us.html

And, I agree that Authinx is shooting themselves in the foot with their poorly designed WM100 firmware.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

ekraus

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 05:53:51 AM »

Yeah I know about the SON-OFF switches. They don't have a 4 load switch and I also thing they haven't figured out that
most US houses have switch locations with multiple devices. They will perhaps have to make a switch with a decora footprint.
But
I have the following in my back yard.
Landscape lights, Dock Lights, Pool Light and Pool pump.
So what i did is buy one of the 4 button 433Mhz remote disassemble bring out the switches to push buttons
and mount it on a blank switch plate.
That way by my back door I can switch all those loads.
I am also going to take the single modules and do the same thing.
Since I only have one light on a dimmer I may go with some kind of WIFI.
I have only 8 loads total.
A couple of years ago replaced 2 switches with in wall timers. 1 with Dusk/Dawn.
If x10 was still a popular technology Authinx might have a chance.
If the code was open source and someone took the time to use the 2 way modules and extended codes it would still be a viable
smarthome option.
But its obvious that Authinx doesn't get it. The resurgence of x10 could be there.
With JV Digital Engineering  XTB-IIR and a decent controller x10 would work extremely well.
But with all the electronic equipment we plug in who knows what kind of noise we are creating and complicate that with maybe
6 houses on a single transformer. No wonder sending out 1 x10 command and expecting it to work is a bad bet.
In any case when I get my WIFI stuff working I will have a lot of x10 crap on ebay.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 08:31:25 AM »

Are you aware of the Sonoff switches?https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-t1-us.html
And, I agree that Authinx is shooting themselves in the foot with their poorly designed WM100 firmware.
I agree also. But no one listens to us old geezers. Wisdom seems to come only by doing. Sometimes too late.
AFA the Sonoff switches, ignorant question coming: Isn't this putting all eggs in one basket? If the WiFi router goes down, is the house dark?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:44:15 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ekraus

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »

The sonoff switch is for a single gang box. Not made for multi gang boxes. Also they are 315Mhz the modules are 433Mhz.
The other thing is my loads are not in the same box. They are all located in an exterior enclosure. And one is 240v 20a.
I think sonoff will come out with plenty of US targeted products.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »

I like my Sonoff devices however the App still (after 3 years) has a lot missing.
We were promised local control over 3 years ago and they still don't have it working with all devices (so the app says).
It took them over a year to learn local control  meant using the Lan not using phone data. B:(

So your giving up on x10 because you can't get dusk/dawn timers to work from an app and moving to another protocol whos app doesn't even have that option (at least not that I can see). ::) :' I thought Dusk /Dawn was a must have?
Unlike the Sonoff eWeLink app the X10 wi-fi app has only been available since the start of the year. ::) :'
The eWeLink app is on version 3.50 last time I looked and the app is over 3 years old, my one Sonoff module has had at least 2 firmware updates (that actually installed) tripple that if you want to count failed updates.
The X10 Wi-Fi app is on 2.0.07 and less then 8 months old and I've done 3 firmware updates. 1 failed but that never made it past testing.
To me it looks like Authinix is working on their app better then itlead. the last time I was on the itlead forum an app update was 3 months past the announced release date with no reason for it. ::)
And don't get me on the Sonoff Alexa skill B:(

The X10 wifi app Dusk/Dawn times being off issue has been an issue in the apps for some time (since release for some) the change to DST brought to light where the issue was.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

ekraus

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 05:41:57 AM »

By the way
I have Dusk/Dawn working with SONOFF now as well as the ability to control heavy loads.

I am not giving up on x10 I am giving up on the WM100!
I don't need an app on my smartphone or alexa or google.
I have 2 working 1132CU's
Here is the response from Authinx for my defective unit.

Hi Evan,
We can take a look at the unit and issue you a replacement if necessary.  Please follow the instructions below for the warranty claim:
This return is for a warranty replacement of the following item(s): 1 x WM100
Please return item(s) to:
X10.com
2515 Tarpley Road, Ste 120
Carrollton, TX 75006
RMA# WT200050508
*** All returned merchandise must be in the original packaging including manuals, accessories, cables, etc.***
*** Securely pack the items for shipment. Ensure a copy of this email is included in the box and the RMA number is clearly written on the outside of the package.***
Thanks,

Take a look at it! Send me another one! They saw what the unit was sending out. Device #'s and no command.
So where is the return label with shipping? Its not there.
That's bad customer service on this product

I am going to figure out what in my house is sucking the signals up and fix them. I found a filter rated at 80 AMPS.
I think I know which loads are sucking up the signal.
Or I will build my own.
I am also going to of one of Jeff Volp's XTB-IIR+ Repeaters.

ekraus

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2018, 06:59:29 AM »

Update:
I sent them an email asking for a pre paid return label and got it a couple of minutes later.
I got a feeling that its not the WM100 but the Android APP.
Lets see what they find.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 07:02:25 AM »

It appears they are handling returns a bit differently now. B:(
That may be the fact that several were returning units that were not defective. End users were just not following setup instructions and not using 2 GHZ Wi-Fi. ::) :'
I fired off an email to get some clarification and was told an RMA return label is being sent it usualy gets sent in a follow up email.

How are you doing Dusk Dawn for the Sonoff? I don't see the option in the official app.
You may not need one of Jeff's repeaters though it would improve things. I simply used Jeff's XTBM VolpMeter to find my signal suckers and noise makers.
With that I found what needed filtering and what needed to be removed (old bubs)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.