Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: LED shop lighting at Costco  (Read 4728 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: LED shop lighting at Costco
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

I have seen both type LED replacement tubes. For fluorescent lights.

Some are designed to just replace the old tubes and be driven by the ballasts but I believe it had to be the electronic type.

I used some that you removed the ballast and wired AC to one end {some have line on one end neutral on the other end}. Mine with one end used had to have the pins not shorted together on the end. I believe known as Instant On.
I did some tests awhile back. With a extra tombstone and a line cord. I didn't see any problems with my XTBM.

One thing on mine. All the LEDs are in a row. So the light comes out of one side. Had one fixture where the tombstones where 45 degrees from straight down. So the light wanted to shine out the sides. Since mine where in one direction. They where rated for less Lumens than the old bulbs but to me where brighter.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 09:26:29 AM »

Can anyone speak to an LED option that won't adversely affect X10 in a 4' tube that simply plugs into the tombstone?  I'm assuming I'll have to rewire them to remove the ballast, correct?

My local Costco had 4' LED bulbs that simply replaced the florescent ones which I placed in my kitchen light the ballast didn't need to be removed or bypass.
Unfortunately I no longer have the boxes and being at my summer home I can't check the bulbs.
I went back to get a pare of these for my summer home but they were sold out.
These don't affect my x10 setup but I also don't have any x10 modules in the kitchen.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 12:25:10 PM »

My local Costco had 4' LED bulbs that simply replaced the florescent ones which I placed in my kitchen light the ballast didn't need to be removed or bypass.
This is what I need, but for magnetic ballast. Is that what you have?
All the 4' LED tubes I have found state "Electronic Ballast Only". 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 12:28:49 PM »

I don't recall.  If I install these tubes in a fixture that is the wrong type of ballast will I get a fireworks display?  I'll swing by Costco this afternoon if I get a chance and see if they still have tubes.  I know they had them last time I was in and picked up the fixtures.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 12:36:07 PM »

My ballasts are electronic.
The fixtures are newer ones.
If I recall the packaging stated they worked with all types of ballasts. However I can't confirm that as the packaging is long gone.
I remember I was leary that they would work.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:37:42 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 08:46:21 AM »

I installed a 2-pack of those Costco LED tubes the other day.  They seemed to work fine even in the fixture with an unknown issue*.  I swapped the other 4 tubes this morning so I can do a bit of further testing.  Assuming they are good, they seem like a good way to go for X10.  This is not an X10 controlled lighting component, I just worry that it will degrade X10 signals in the system...which these don't seem to do.

* The fixture would sometimes turn on, but usually not.  The bulbs were replaced...same result.  I replaced the tombstones...same results.  I replaced the ballast last year...same result.

jwlv

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »

I have several of those LED shop lights from Costco. I use them in my office, garage, and backyard. So far I've had two that sort of went bad. They began to flicker. But being it's from Costco, it was simple to return and get a new one.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »

I keep forgetting to post the brand of fixture I installed.  They are made by "greenlite" and are just called "LED SHOPLITE".  I do like them a lot though they are a bit more directional than I'd prefer.  The old fixtures illuminated a wider patch of ground below so the spacing needs to be a bit closer if they are a lower ceiling height IMO.  The ones in my shop are higher than in my basement and work just fine.  Oh, and since they have a switch on them, I was able to replace my flickering fixture on my workbench with a much more compact unit, too.

jwlv

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »

The ones I got from Costco are made by Feit Electronics.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 11:32:05 AM »

I found what I had hoped would be an awesome solution to my outdoor wood shed lighting.  I currently use a fluorescent 2x48" fixture plugged into a SR227 and a MS16A to turn on lights in the dark when motion is detected.  This has worked acceptably for many years.  The reason to replace it is not saving money as the lights don't turn on often, but rather to remove the X10 motion sensor and turn the unit into an integrated fixture.

Costco has a Feit 48" fixture with integral motion sensor that throws a ton of light (4000lumen).  I tested and found that it eats a lot of signal.  In my testing, the fixture reduced a signal of 8.7mV down to 5.2mV when measured next to the fixture.  I do not know how this would affect signals when further away from the fixture, but I'm not interested in adding anything that will degrade things.  The fixture is sealed, so I can't see if there's an easy way to add an integral filter.

The other issue seems to be that the motion sensor turns on the light even when it's light so it doesn't have a light level sensor.  I have lots of animal activity, so I don't want to constantly light the shed when a rabbit moves by.  Between these two issues, I can't recommend this fixture.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.