Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comapnion Switch Placement  (Read 1156 times)

scali2018

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Comapnion Switch Placement
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »

Does the 'placement' of a companion switch in a 4-way setup matter?  Right now i have n x10 dimmer in a 4-way configuration that works great.  I just keep the other two switched in the 'on' position and use x10 to control the lights.  If i wanted to add companions switches, can i just replace the 2 additional switches?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Comapnion Switch Placement
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »

What model X10 switch do you have?

If it is the toggle style WS467. It does not have the trigger connection for the companion switches to activate. So the companions will not work.

The WS4777 has the needed trigger connection and I believe all the decorator style do also.
Here is the Wiki link to wall switches. It may give you some added information.
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Wall_Switch_Modules

You may have to do some rewiring. So the travelers can provide the trigger signal. By connecting the Line to the Trigger input on the main switch through the companion switches.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:18:47 AM by Brian H »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:12 PM »

If you have all the appropriate wiring for a true 3- or 4-way light, then you can use the X10 WS4777 with multiple companion switches or you could install one of the other full switches that are 3-way compatible.  I haven't looked at the wiring for the WS469, but I know it said 3-way installation on the docs when I looked.  As for the WS4777, you have to install the companions AFTER the master switch.  If you do it the other way, it won't work.  I had it backwards on my first 3-way installation  so it doesn't create smoke, but it won't work as expected.

scali2018

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »

Thanks for the info.  The dimmer is XPDI3.  So it should be compatible with the companion switches.  Not sure if the other switches are After it or not.  I know if i have it 'on' and i shut off the standard switch from either location it goes off. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »

Yes the XPDI3 can be used with the companion switch.
The decorator style to match the XPDI3 is the XPSS
https://www.x10.com/x10-pro/switches/xpss-decorator-companion-wall-switch.html

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.