💬General Category > Mac/Linux & Open Source and the X10 Home

Quick hello

(1/3) > >>

npaisnel:
Hi all, just a little intro who I am, and what I am doing,
Just discovered this board after using X-10 since about 2008.

Only for basic lights and appliance on/off / dim duties, no cameras, sensors etc.
Power line sender is a Marmitek X10 Transceiver Module All House Version TM13EFL
Control via iPhone with TIP0RF

Had been doing some reading around on a problem I was trying to solve and I read  this post from 2010 and the line.
--- Quote ---Hello,

I recently dusted off my old CM11 (Actually a CM12
--- End quote ---

Old CM11.  That really made me feel late to the party as I only just bought mine, and it was considered old 8 years ago !!  Damn ;)

Anyway I have the UK version CM12 with USB INTERFACE, directly into a Raspberry Pi, HA Bridge and Alexa control

The 'problem ' I was looking to solve was how to shutdown and reboot my home router remotly.   I can shut down/ reboot using any of the standard RF controllers, or shut down only using the iPhone and TIP10RF.   Trouble now then is I can't restart it, via iPhone as the router and therefore wifi and home network is down.

yes, i admit... not searched yet, and yep, i do see the Raspberry Pi forum.

Just wondering how to tackle this... scheduled reboot every 24 hrs would do it...either getting the Pi HA bridge to issue the (off-delay-on) command or program the CM12 to do it.   

If there was a way i could initiate this remotely while away from home via iPhone even better.

I will do some more searching/reading now on the forum, but wanted to get a quick Hello message out there first.

In Hospital at moment with broken leg after motorcycle accident, so plenty of research time !

Many thanks

Neil

petera:
This feature is built into the Raspberry Pi Broadcom chip. Simple to activate. Read this link to set it up https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=147501

Tuicemen:
Using the Cm11, shutting down your router remotely is simple.
Doing a restart would require a software which had timer, scenes or macro capabilities.
Several if not all HA software has at least one of these functions.
With a timer you'd set the time of day to shut down  (send the X10 Off signal) then create another timer to start the router(send the X10 On signal).
Scenes or macros would allow you to do a reboot remotely and at any time of day.
Clicking a button would send the required x10 Off signal then pause (duration you specify) then send the X10 on signal.
since the.
I use currently use HomeGenie software on my Pi.
With it you could create a macro so when the x10 module on your router was detected as off it would turn back on. Using your phone and the TIP0RF you could send the off signal which HomeGenie and the cm11 would see.

petera:
You could of course use a cron job and let it look after the Raspberry Pi reboot in the background without too much fuss http://www.simsalabim-solutions.net/vademecum/raspberry_pi/setting_up_reboot_cron_job_on_pi

A lot of Linux users require a remote reboot of their systems for various reasons so keeping it as simple as possible helps avoid creating an unstable system.

There's so many options in Linux to do this but this link keeps setup to a minimum. Many like to reboot their systems regularly to avoid the dreaded crash and the disorderly shutdown. The one above that will keep your system running forever because as soon as it detects a halt in your system it will immediately reboot it.

You'll probably find many alternatives with a Google. Try a few and use what suits you best.

npaisnel:
Ok, great, thank you for the links.  Will be reading them soon.

I had not considered re booting of the Raspberry Pi before, but thanks for the thought and links to that too.

As I said it was initially only the re boot of my router that I was interested in.

Now I have some name/links ideas to go on, I shall crack on with that as and when the pain allows.  I am now released from hospital, and am at home again, though unable to sleep with pain, the Hospital do not issue the morphine based painkillers to take home, and the Codine... aasarrrggghhh just not enough.

Many thanks

Neil P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version