Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Install X10 on Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi-Instructions  (Read 21070 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Install X10 on Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi-Instructions
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »

mochad allows Home Assistant to use the cm15
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

npaisnel

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »

Ah ok

Think I might have one, but the CM-11 works fine as is..so maybe an extra layer I don't need.

Thanks

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »

...I believe this is because X10 sends RF in one command vs 2 for PLC.
Actually, most X10 RF devices (e.g. Palmpads, Keychain Remotes) send 5-6 copies minimum of the RF code. AFAIK, the SH624 is the only remote that sends single copies. Each copy is about 65-70mS duration followed by 40mS silence. See...
https://www.laser.com/dhouston/rf.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:07:50 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 11:06:08 AM »

Correct.  Mochad and HeyU are similar in that they allow you to interface X10 controllers to your Linux system.  Mochad works with CM15A in addition to the controllers HeyU is also compatible with (CM11A etc).  If HeyU worked with CM15A, it would be a better choice since it has more capabilities/features.  Both communicate with your X10 controller and interpret the PLC/RF commands.  Mochad broadcasts the received commands to port 1099.  HA can use a component to listen to that port and interpret the commands to work with modules in the system (Domoticz and a few others do the same).  The issue with Mochad is that it doesn't send RF signals to HA even though they are received.  So, a workaround of some kind is needed.  Fortunately, there are some already provided by users so it's just a matter of deciding which approach to take and giving it a try.

dhouston: yes that is certainly true.  I don't know if that's the issue, but it could also be related!

npaisnel

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »

bad link
 :(

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »

I have no idea what causes the bad links but it has popped up a few times for various links on my (long retired and no longer maintained) web page. Most people found it was OK with a different browser. Today, it works fine for me under Windows 10 with Firefox, Chrome and Edge. I don't have a Mac running so can't test with it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 11:27:40 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

npaisnel

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »

Technology eh!

Works with Chrome

:)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »

This is an old thread, but probably the most relevant one.  I just wanted to post on my experience thus far with HA.  Instead of using a bare Raspbian image and installing HA or installing Hass.IO, I opted to try using the Hassbian image.  This image is basically Raspbian with HA preinstalled plus some useful utilities that are HA specific.  I believe it will give the best of both worlds (easy setup of Hass.IO and flexibility/configuration of manually installed HA).

Since it does not have the capability like Hass.IO to just click a button and install components, you still have to do that through the shell.  That's unavoidable if you want X10 since there is no component within Hass.IO for HeyU or Mochad that I could locate.  I did have an issue getting up and running with X10 since HA didn't automatically install the Mochad interface component the tutorial suggested would happen.  But, once I installed it (sudo pip3 install pymochad), the modules popped up and functioned as expected in HA.  It's easy to see what's going on with X10 since you can simply watch from the shell (nc localhost 1099).  If it pops up there, it was received.  If not, it wasn't.  Simple!

My next step will be getting Mochad_dispatch configured or testing the following command:
Code: [Select]
/bin/nc -d localhost 1099 | /usr/bin/awk -W interactive ' /HouseUnit:/ && /Func:/ { system("mosquitto_pub -q 1 -t /X10/"$6" -m "$8) } ' &

Mochad sees all X10 traffic but HA doesn't see RF by default.  From reading, I believe this is because X10 sends RF in one command vs 2 for PLC.  I don't see why this couldn't be addressed by forking Mochad in such a way that HA could see both, but I haven't looked that far yet and, since there appear to be other solutions, I likely won't.

In any case, outside of the one niggle with PyMochad not installing, HA seems like a great system.  Lots of useful comments on their forum and all of it current and active.  Reminds me of the old HG forum before it was transferred to Google+ and basically killed off.

Glad to report no niggles here. Completed migration of home automation to Home Assistant quite recently and glad to say that everything migrated over perfectly. From X10, Motion detection cameras, heating systems, high end security system to integrated media systems all speaking to each other and all controlled through one single front end.

I’ve finally parked up anything that has gone before. No need for it now. You’ve all the automation scripts you’ll ever need with a few key taps

The biggest benefit of all is the healthy developer and user community. No waiting around for plugins to be developed either. They’ve all been done. Endless plugins to choose from. You don’t like one you pick another. And all free to use of course. It’s a massive open source project and one I’m glad to be part of.

For anyone looking to future home automation needs I couldn’t recommend Home Assistant highly enough. There’s even a few members from this forum over on the Home Assistant community sharing their setups and experiences.

The commercial guys are definitely looking over their shoulders and the niche project developers are parking up their efforts and joint venture in. If you’re serious about home automation why not wander over and join in. Glad to see you their bkenobi. They could definitely do with your skills.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »

I wrote a number of scripts for HG to do some fairly basic things.  From the looks of it, that won't be necessary for much of my setup as the HA community is much, MUCH larger and more active.  I just found a APCUPSD component that will get all the data out of the daemon and expose it to HA.  All that has to be done is a simple check to decide if the system should be shut down and what to do for notifications.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »

I wrote a number of scripts for HG to do some fairly basic things.  From the looks of it, that won't be necessary for much of my setup as the HA community is much, MUCH larger and more active.  I just found a APCUPSD component that will get all the data out of the daemon and expose it to HA.  All that has to be done is a simple check to decide if the system should be shut down and what to do for notifications.

Everything I’ve thrown at it it’s handled. It’s addictive asking the question what will I do next. My configuration.yaml is bulging at the seems with goodies. I’ve even surrendered to the Alexa bug and was it so easy to setup. All done off the cloud of course.

I did a big setup with HADashboard that works with all the tablet devices. I’m now working away with the Lovelace UI. Where am I going to get the time for this rofl

Anyway as I said it’s all hands at the pumps over at the Home Assistant community. We worked out that there’s a posting on average every 10 seconds during peak traffic and never a post goes unanswered. It’s definitely the place to be for the home automation nut  :)%

See you over there  Bkenobi  >!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2019, 04:28:27 PM »

Technology eh!

Works with Chrome

:)
I've found that opening in an incognito window solves whatever the problem is.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2019, 05:15:29 PM »

I generally don't like having data on the cloud since i can't make sure it stays put, but today I found that there was a Bloomsky component that was so easy to install that I went ahead and added my OG Bloomsky to HA.  The only thing that I don't like is that it uses the fixed picture rather than the time lapse for the "camera" component.  Maybe that can be changed somehow.  I also found (when looking for my api key) that the time lapse data goes back ~3 months.  I was hoping my station would have recorded the snow fall and melt off at ground level (~2' fell and it took weeks to fully disappear).  Unfortunately, since mine is ground mounted and the solar panel covered, I got 1 month of nothing while it defrosted.   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.