Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Attempt at X10 on a Raspberry Pi using HA with Wireless Support  (Read 10020 times)

lviper

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 10

Figured I would post my results thus far at trying to get wireless support in my home assistant setup on a raspberry pi.
I followed petera's post to setup X10 in HA on a RPi.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30407.0

Instead of using HeyU I used Mochad which supports the cm15a. Mochad works fine in HA and is supported, but doesn't give me anyway to use my old palm pads or motion sensors to turn lights on or off. I use motion sensors to trigger events a lot. I also use my ds10a sensors to trigger events as well. I did discover mochad_dispatch that when used with mochad, it will publish the RF mochad receives to HA via an mqtt broker. The problem I have found is no support for regular wireless. It only supports the security RF signals. So this route is still a no go for me.

I've been reading some more and I'm thinking I may be able to get HeyU to offer wireless support for palm pads and non-security motion sensors using my WGL W800USB. I will have to disable my current system to test things since I'm currently using cm11a and w800usb devices. This will slow my testing down. But from what I have researched so far, HeyU will see the RF commands from the w800usb and I can send that to HA with scripts from HeyU.

It may be a little while but I will post my results when I have them.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: My Attempt at X10 on a Raspberry Pi using HA with Wireless Support
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »

Before you started using the CM15 with the Raspberry Pi did you reset it to factory settings with AHP?
Did you set the transcieved house codes?
From my understanding if AHP was configured not to transceive any specific house codes these will also be ignored when not running AHP or using other software.
Try connecting your CM15 to a PC running AHP and in hardware configuration set it to trancieve all house codes and use the specific option not Auto, then update the interface. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:05:44 PM »

Before you started using the CM15 with the Raspberry Pi did you reset it to factory settings with AHP?
Did you set the transcieved house codes?
From my understanding if AHP was configured not to transceive any specific house codes these will also be ignored when not running AHP or using other software.
Try connecting your CM15 to a PC running AHP and in hardware configuration set it to trancieve all house codes and use the specific option not Auto, then update the interface. >!

No, it's not that. I did actually connect my cm15a to my windows computer that has AHP on it. I cleared the memory and set the transceive to none as mochad instructs. Mochad on its own will by default transceive all house codes and it does work. Problem is the status of the device isn't updated in HA nor can I execute HA automations from the received RF. Mochad receives the RF from both regular and security, but there isn't any way to get those received signals in to HA. You can use mochad_dispatch to do it but it only does the security signals. I need both.

I've looked further in to HeyU and as long as it recognizes my w800usb (which is the usb version of the w800rf32), I should be able to accomplish what I want and keep the state status (on or off) updated in HA. Problem is like I mentioned earlier, I'm currently using the cm11a and w800usb so I would have to rob them for testing.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »

In my tests.
Setting Transceived to None. No X10 RF commands are resent onto the power lines. Even standing alone with no computer connected.

I am also not familiar with the program you are using. It sounds like if the CM15A received an X10 RF command. The software decides to send it back on the power lines and not a CM15A hardware decision.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:27:36 PM by Brian H »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »

I admit I have no experience with mochad.
I didn't think anything could change the Cm15 hardware settings other then AHP.
Seeing Security signals and reporting security RF is different then regular X10.
Setting not to transcieve doesn't stop the CM15 from seeing RF it stops it from converting RF to PLC which would render remotes useless.
If your palmpads and other X10 remotes are working then mochad is able to tell the Cm15 to trancieve.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »

Figured I would post my results thus far at trying to get wireless support in my home assistant setup on a raspberry pi.
I followed petera's post to setup X10 in HA on a RPi.
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=30407.0

Instead of using HeyU I used Mochad which supports the cm15a. Mochad works fine in HA and is supported, but doesn't give me anyway to use my old palm pads or motion sensors to turn lights on or off. I use motion sensors to trigger events a lot. I also use my ds10a sensors to trigger events as well. I did discover mochad_dispatch that when used with mochad, it will publish the RF mochad receives to HA via an mqtt broker. The problem I have found is no support for regular wireless. It only supports the security RF signals. So this route is still a no go for me.

I've been reading some more and I'm thinking I may be able to get HeyU to offer wireless support for palm pads and non-security motion sensors using my WGL W800USB. I will have to disable my current system to test things since I'm currently using cm11a and w800usb devices. This will slow my testing down. But from what I have researched so far, HeyU will see the RF commands from the w800usb and I can send that to HA with scripts from HeyU.

It may be a little while but I will post my results when I have them.

I imagine if you deploy this platform in HA it should deal with you standard x10 sensors https://www.home-assistant.io/components/switch.rpi_rf/

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »

I imagine if you deploy this platform in HA it should deal with you standard x10 sensors https://www.home-assistant.io/components/switch.rpi_rf/
That will work however it requires two extra hardware components wired into a Pi. They however would also enable controlling more then X10 devices.
The Cm15 should be able to do what Iviper wishes with out any extra hardware.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »

That will work however it requires two extra hardware components wired into a Pi. They however would also enable controlling more then X10 devices.
The Cm15 should be able to do what Iviper wishes with out any extra hardware.

I've a few cheap RF sensors that transmit via the CM15 to Homegenie using the RF addon without any extra hardware. What other hardware are you suggesting is needed.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 02:32:41 PM »

They however would also enable controlling more then X10 devices.
There are very few other devices using 310MHz RF.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »

What petera pointed to specifies 433 / 315 MHz
The rpi_rf switch platform allows you to control devices over 433/315MHz LPD/SRD signals with generic low-cost GPIO RF modules on a Raspberry Pi.
@ petera the code you linked to is for extra RF modules wired to the Pi board itself I doubt it would work with the Cm15.
The more I read posts of other users attempts to run X10 on a Pi  the more I realize HG is the way to go.
I've yet been unable to do what I want with HG and it is getting some development being done on the BE version.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 03:29:13 PM »

What petera pointed to specifies 433 / 315 MHz
The rpi_rf switch platform allows you to control devices over 433/315MHz LPD/SRD signals with generic low-cost GPIO RF modules on a Raspberry Pi.
@ petera the code you linked to is for extra RF modules wired to the Pi board itself I doubt it would work with the Cm15.
The more I read posts of other users attempts to run X10 on a Pi  the more I realize HG is the way to go.
I've yet been unable to do what I want with HG and it is getting some development being done on the BE version.

Did you mean Home Assistant or Home Genie. I was using Home Genie extensively for a few years but as development stalled and was forked nothing other than methods of packaging seemed to have progressed.

I got more done in week using Home Assistant than I did in three months using Home Genie. It's all down to active development and community input.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »

I don't use Home Assistant so I was referring to HG.
From what I can see all these Linux Home Automation are only expanding due to users sharing their plugin codes and ways of doing things.
HGBE may only be developing it the installer route for now but with out users sharing stories and ways to do things a single developer is unlikely to add code for something they never will use or even test.
Since I started using HG (which hasn't been long) I've managed to increase HG to use devices not previously controlable.
True this may not be directly and requires HA-Bridge but that is no different then Home Asistant or Hey U.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 04:48:38 PM »

I don't use Home Assistant so I was referring to HG.
From what I can see all these Linux Home Automation are only expanding due to users sharing their plugin codes and ways of doing things.
HGBE may only be developing it the installer route for now but with out users sharing stories and ways to do things a single developer is unlikely to add code for something they never will use or even test.
Since I started using HG (which hasn't been long) I've managed to increase HG to use devices not previously controlable.
True this may not be directly and requires HA-Bridge but that is no different then Home Asistant or Hey U.

It's all down to personal choice in the end. I did recommend Home Genie at one stage but would be users are just passing through, draining as much information as possible and moving on without contributing anything. That's not the community spirit. Maybe in time when experienced developers come back on board it will start to evolve again.

I still have a basic Home Genie setup in place but with other pieces of hardware I have in place that don't work well with it I migrated my main home automation setup to Home Assistant which works with it very well.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »

Many developers look forward to suggestions or "how do I.." posts, these usually result in some sort of advancement in the software.
I use to like software that had lots of options hardcoded in but that quicly makes the software become boated.
I rather like the option to add only apps(programs,pluggins) you need, it keeps the software running at optimum performance.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

lviper

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 06:31:36 AM »

In my tests.
Setting Transceived to None. No X10 RF commands are resent onto the power lines. Even standing alone with no computer connected.

I am also not familiar with the program you are using. It sounds like if the CM15A received an X10 RF command. The software decides to send it back on the power lines and not a CM15A hardware decision.

I don't actually want the cm15a to transceive anything. I want it to receive the RF from both standard and security wireless, then send it to HA to be processed. HA would then send the PL out the cm15a. My problem is getting the wireless signals received sent to HA. I see the signals coming in to mochad, but mochad doesn't have a way to send it to HA. THat's where mochad_dispatch comes in. It will send the received RF from security to HA for processing but not standard wireless. So no palm pads or motion sensors.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.