Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What HA software have you tried with your Pi?

HomeGenie
- 3 (17.6%)
Domoticz
- 3 (17.6%)
OpenHab
- 3 (17.6%)
Home Assistant
- 3 (17.6%)
Mister House
- 0 (0%)
Fhem
- 0 (0%)
HomeSeer
- 2 (11.8%)
Hey U
- 1 (5.9%)
mochad
- 2 (11.8%)
Other (Please specify so it can get added to the list)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Best X10 HA Software for your Pi?  (Read 3069 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Best X10 HA Software for your Pi?
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:09:57 AM »

I'm rather new to using a PI for Home Automation so I may have missed some options.
I started a simular thread on my forum but asking which of the above users are currently running .
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1290.0
Here I'm interested what has been tried.
I know some may have tried them all and some of the options will not work with the CM15.

I've only really ran Home Genie so I have no comparison to go by only screen shots on visiting each of the home pages, so I'm interested in all your thoughts on each that you've tested.
 >!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 10:15:45 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Best X10 HA Software for your Pi?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:18:24 PM »

I use Home Control Assistant (HCA) to test every XTB-232.  They have a free limited X10 version so you can get a feel for it before deciding to buy the full-up version.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »

HCA works with a Pi?
I thought it was strictly Windows
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 03:58:24 PM »

The only thing I KNOW for sure works... is Homeseer. And Homeseer works flawlessly.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »

HCA works with a Pi?

I don't know if it can work with a Pi.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:33:56 PM »

There's a lot of small home automation projects that work nicely with the Raspberry Pi and of course there's the pro projects like Homeseer which works very well but becomes quite expensive once you add in what the designer calls plugins but it too has many flaws and is far from perfect.

It really is a matter of personal choice. For the novice who just wants a plug 'n' go solution Homeseer is probably the way to go. Most of the other projects are community based free to use solutions but quite a bit of work is required to tap into their full potential.

Of course Linux is the backbone of the majority of Raspberry Pi projects and Mono is required, the open version of Microsofts .Net Framework to run many of them. Many developers despise Mono and changes are happening in that area that will see alternatives to Mono being implemented.

It really is a case of try as many as you can so you can find one you feel comfortable working with. I wouldn't invest too much time and energy into any particular one unless you feel that you may be able to develop it further as they do have a tendency of going the way of the dinosaur overnight.

The original developer of Home Genie put together a very good product but owing to lack of funds decided to call it a day on further development and get himself a day job. While a number of contributors on his forum decided to fork his project contributions are now down to a trickle.

Again others may be coming across Home Genie for the first time and find it quite impressive at first glance but you can see the pitfalls.

I do suggest that potential Raspberry Pi users familiarise themselves with the basics of Linux if they intend to use the Raspberry Pi for home automation.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »

I'm voting for HG currently as that's what I've been using for a few years.  I am still looking at HA and others since development stalled (but is picking up now) on the project.  If you need a HA solution on your RPi, it's not a bad choice though.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »

I've tested the new beta installers both the Mono and Docker versions.
These can't get much simpler other then a click of an icon.
one line of code to be placed in the terminal window and the Pi runs the whole setup.

Unfortunately neither of these port over my setup and throughs errors.

I may attempt to run the docker version and manually enter in my setup on a new SD card even though the versions were created just for testing the installing of backups.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 01:29:33 PM »

I've tested the new beta installers both the Mono and Docker versions.
These can't get much simpler other then a click of an icon.
one line of code to be placed in the terminal window and the Pi runs the whole setup.

Unfortunately neither of these port over my setup and throughs errors.

I may attempt to run the docker version and manually enter in my setup on a new SD card even though the versions were created just for testing the installing of backups.

By all means if a HG user has the expertise HG is an ideal platform to work in, particularly for X10. For anyone coming from the AHP platform it might be a bit of an overwhelming experience.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:48:03 PM »

I don't believe moving from HG is any more overwhelming then trying any other HA software after using AHP.
The big problem is those asking for help are told to go fish by many Linux users.

And although I agree if one doesn't learn to fish they will always depend on someone else, they need the basics like what to look for. Being told to go fish this lake and maybe you'll get fish is of no help for most especialy if they don't take a rod and bait. ::) :'

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 02:23:42 PM »

I don't believe moving from HG is any more overwhelming then trying any other HA software after using AHP.
The big problem is those asking for help are told to go fish by many Linux users.

And although I agree if one doesn't learn to fish they will always depend on someone else, they need the basics like what to look for. Being told to go fish this lake and maybe you'll get fish is of no help for most especialy if they don't take a rod and bait. ::) :'

Absolutely and I have tried to help those who have expressed an interest to make that leap but I can't make that leap for them.

Not all Linux users are dismissive and many of them have done the heavy lifting so that others can enjoy the benefits. The GUI environment has somewhat discouraged some from working at the Terminal/Command Line. I'm not big on eye candy. I prefer productivity.

I always found Home Genie quite easy to install in all it's different forms. I'm not too caught up in its packaging methods. That may be important to others.What I do like about it is that it works nicely on a Single Board Computer and fits nicely onto an SD card. An ideal platform for a home automation project. Cheap and cheerful.

Maybe others here will follow the advice and try it out. Who knows.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »

Not all Linux users are dismissive and many of them have done the heavy lifting so that others can enjoy the benefits.
I agree but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the cart unfortunately :(
You have been more then helpful to lots of us here.
The user base on this forum have some of the most helpful users any where.
Not that we haven't had a few bad apples in the past! ::) :'
The GUI environment has somewhat discouraged some from working at the Terminal/Command Line.
I also agree Windows has turned many to simple point and click users.
And I like the point and click of HG once installed.
I expect Alexa and the other AIs are soon going to turn many users into expecting everything be done via voice. ::) :'
I'm not big on eye candy. I prefer productivity.
I like Eye candy! it is the only kind of candy I'm now allowed to have!(wife's orders) rofl
But I want both, this is why I like HG, if it doesn't do what I want I can make it do it and with out to much effort.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

Not all Linux users are dismissive and many of them have done the heavy lifting so that others can enjoy the benefits.
I agree but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the cart unfortunately :(
You have been more then helpful to lots of us here.
The user base on this forum have some of the most helpful users any where.
Not that we haven't had a few bad apples in the past! ::) :'
The GUI environment has somewhat discouraged some from working at the Terminal/Command Line.
I also agree Windows has turned many to simple point and click users.
And I like the point and click of HG once installed.
I expect Alexa and the other AIs are soon going to turn many users into expecting everything be done via voice. ::) :'
I'm not big on eye candy. I prefer productivity.
I like Eye candy! it is the only kind of candy I'm now allowed to have!(wife's orders) rofl
But I want both, this is why I like HG, if it doesn't do what I want I can make it do it and with out to much effort.

I try to keep install instructions to a step by step guide on the basis that if you follow them exactly you have a working solution. The rest I leave up to the user to explore. Part of the challenge I reckon and part of the learning process too. And of course this user should pass on their experiences too.

One thing is for sure in the tech world. Nothing lasts forever. Sometimes you just have to move on. I will say that X10 as an exception certainly proves this rule  :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 08:27:21 AM »

I changed the option in the poll to allow users to change their selections as some are still experimenting with HA programs.
In order to change your selections click remove vote then revote.
So far from the different Software options I've tried the easiest to install and setup for X10 is Home Genie.
The one with the most protocol options has to be Home Assistant, but it's not the easiest to setup.  B:(
I also added mochad to the list althoug not realy a full software option you can control lights and appliances via command line.
As well many softwares rely on it to provide X10 control via the CM15 just as they rely on Heyu to support the CM11.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:32:59 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »

I changed the option in the poll to allow users to change their selections as some are still experimenting with HA programs.
In order to change your selections click remove vote then revote.
So far from the different Software options I've tried the easiest to install and setup for X10 is Home Genie.
The one with the most protocol options has to be Home Assistant, but it's not the easiest to setup.  B:(
I also added mochad to the list althoug not realy a full software option you can control lights and appliances via command line.
As well many softwares rely on it to provide X10 control via the CM15 just as they rely on Heyu to support the CM11.

Many home automation systems just act as a frontend for separately installed services like Heyu and Mochad as you mention. You can install these services on the same Pi as the home automation software or offload them to a separate Pi. It works equally well either way unless you have a particularly heavy load of services operating on the same Pi.

It's great to see more members experimenting with the Pi and X10. I do understand that Linux is not to everyones liking but as soon as you have the Pi up and running with your chosen home automation software there are plenty of resources on the web to help you develop your project further.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.