🔌General Home Automation > Automating Your House

(about) 50 million Alexa users

(1/3) > >>

HA Dave:
I was reading this piece on MSN.com (https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/analysis-few-people-buy-things-via-alexa/ar-BBLBsFN?ocid=spartandhp) that was basicly explaining that only a very few (100,000) users had tried buying stuff using the Alexa device, more than once. When I realized this was the 1st time I've seen such an estimated number of users (2nd paragraph, 1st sentence about 50 million users..... 

brobin:
We're early adopters of Alexa and have never bought anything through it. In fact we turned off the capability completely. When I look at items on Amazon I want to see comparable products, check reviews and see all the buying options even for repeat orders of a product. In our house 90% of Alexa usage is controlling HA devices. I have a Redlink bridge, Lutron bridge, Hunter-Douglas bridge, Alex10, Sonoff and more so I don't have to risk serious injury by reaching out and pushing a button.  ::)

SkipWX10:
50 million users is a LOT of data they are collecting and a LOT of voice clips. I cannot even fathom the amount of storage they must have....

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: brobin on August 08, 2018, 02:32:06 AM ---…… In our house 90% of Alexa usage is controlling HA devices...…. so I don't have to risk serious injury by reaching out and pushing a button.  ::)

--- End quote ---

I think Jane Jetson called it the Push Button Blues, aka: PBB. But it takes a lot of smarts to know which button to push!.

I am actively trying to use Alexa as more of a digitial assistance. Reminders, calender, timers, questions..... etc.. 

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: SkipWX10 on August 08, 2018, 08:36:06 AM ---50 million users is a LOT of data they are collecting and a LOT of voice clips. I cannot even fathom the amount of storage they must have....

--- End quote ---

A lot of data, a lot of sales, a lot of Home Automation customers. Just think of the money to be made.... if X10 could modernize and market thier products enough to sell something (anything)... to only one out of a thousand of the Alexa users!!!! Why doesn't X10 sell anything at X10.com that allows X10 to be controlled by Alexa? MANY of us... have already switched over to utilize Alexa control of our X10 setups. Why on Earth isn't X10 part of this?!?!?!?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version