Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The New WIFI Module is now available!
                   *****Here's the link******

Author Topic: PI beginer guide to Installing HomeGenie for X10  (Read 359 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 245
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
    • Tuicemen Software
PI beginer guide to Installing HomeGenie for X10
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »

Petera and others have touched on HomeGenie installs in other threads but the info is hard to find and the threads may be confusing for the PI newbie
This guide is for the totally new PI beginner.
PI boards run Linux and for so that in itself is intimidating however HomeGenie (GH) takes that into account (I think)
I'm not going into installing setting up the Pi operating system as I assume you've done that and most likely you now have a desktop displaying this guide will not be for installing into a lite version of Debian but the full desktop version as many newbies first load.
It has been said any Home Automation setup needs to be setup on a OS without the desktop environment in order for best performance. Although that maybe the case if your Setup includes several other protocols but we're just worried about X10.(for now)
HG isn't actively being worked on however being open source it has been forked (code used for another project) HGBE this is basically HG with some added features and is still not ready for the PI (my opinion)
For this reason I'll walk you through the HG install.
The install
1: Fire up your PI and open the desktop
2: find the terminal window( linux version of the Command Prompt) and open it.
3: copy this line of code and paste to the terminal window and hit enter on your key 
Code: [Select]
wget https://github.com/genielabs/HomeGenie/releases/download/v1.1-beta.526/homegenie-beta_1.1.r526_all.deb this will download HG but not install it it goes into the downloads folder but you don't have to worry about that.
4: once done do the same for this line
sudo apt-get update this updates the PI OS so you have the latest drivers and such. sudo tells the PI to use heightened privileges
5: next do the same for this line
sudo apt-get install gdebi-core this (my understanding) gets and installs the extractor for the HG file you first downloaded.
6: now to extract and install HG. simply add this line to the terminal window and hit enter on your key board

sudo gdebi homegenie-beta_1.1.r526_all.debOnce that is finished you can close the terminal window.

OK I'm done but where is HG?
HG is a web based program there is no shortcut to it.
to access it you need to open a browser. Since you have installed the desktop PI OS one is installedand should be on your task bar. Just open it and point  to 127.0.0.1 or localhost since you most likely have not installed any other web based server application you don't need to specify a port which would be 80. (8080 if you have installed something else in which case your browser entry will be 127.0.0.1:8080 or localhost:8080)
now that your there you can book mark it.
Since HG is a server you can access it from another device on your network you just need to know your Pi's IP. and the port HG is using. Type this into a browser on any device and you have HG displaying.

But what is all this stuff displaying in HG?
HomeGenie preinstalls a bunch of demos to help with understanding what is capable.
This I feel is confusing at first. Luckily you can remove that stuff However I'm not going to recommend that untill you have HG doing what you want with your X10 stuff.

Ok so tell me how to setup x10.
I know your itching to get something usable working so first you have to tell HG what X10 interface your using.
1: At the top of the HG web page is a tab called configure then settings click X10 interface options in the new screen that appears.
2: click on device port and select your interface I use the CM15a so I selected CM15 Pro-USB.
3: select all house codes you wish to use You can come back to select more at any time.
4: on the right is a button labelled Disable click on it to enable X10
there is no save, this is actively engaged. go to the top and select configure again.
This time we're going to create a group so your x10 devices are separate from the demo stuff so we click on groups to open the groups page
At the bottom right is a button "Add groups" click it and add the name you wish for your new group and click ok this adds your new group to the groups list. On the right for each group is arrows up and down if you wish HG to open to your X10 group and not the demo group move it up.

Click on the group name you created to open the configuration of it.
The new window allows you to change the wallpaper of the group. HG comes with several but you can add your own .
Now to the good stuff at the bottom right is the actions tab.
Click on the actions tab then add module
Now scroll down to find your first X10 module to add to the group and continue doing this till all are added. then click the X in the add module screen to close it.
now click the home tab (top left) to open the group view and control (test) your X10 devices.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Find extra info @ My forum

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 172
Re: PI beginer guide to Installing HomeGenie for X10
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:35:57 PM »

Thank You Tuicemen. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this post!

I've been anxiously awaiting a X10 HG (or other such program) that would work on a Pi. However... I've had other irons in the fire that required my time, attention, and wallet. But I am kind'a caught up now. I know... others have informed me I don't NEED the Pi HG setup (as I have Homeseer). But that isn't the point. I think a Pi solution for X10 is highly advantageous and maybe even essential for X10. I'd like to be a part of this.

So..... for my own clarification (and any other forum visitors currently or in the future). is this the setup that would ONLY work with the latest greatest Pi model 3B+? If so.... my first step will be to visit Amazon and purchase the RBPi 3B+. Otherwise.... I only have the older RBPi 3 (no B, no +).
Modern automation is much more than turning things on and off.
The use of Home Automation is limited... only by our imaginations.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:29:29 AM »

I've been anxiously awaiting a X10 HG (or other such program) that would work on a Pi. However... I've had other irons in the fire that required my time, attention, and wallet. But I am kind'a caught up now. I know... others have informed me I don't NEED the Pi HG setup (as I have Homeseer). But that isn't the point. I think a Pi solution for X10 is highly advantageous and maybe even essential for X10. I'd like to be a part of this.

So..... for my own clarification (and any other forum visitors currently or in the future). is this the setup that would ONLY work with the latest greatest Pi model 3B+? If so.... my first step will be to visit Amazon and purchase the RBPi 3B+. Otherwise.... I only have the older RBPi 3 (no B, no +).

Home Genie will work on most of the Raspberry Pi boards. I first had it running on the Raspberry Pi B+ three years ago. Just use whatever Raspberry Pi you have on hand.

The main thing is that there are now alternative platforms well documented for running and developing your X10 setup. Neither is particularly better or easier to use than the other. Unlike Home Seer they are free to use and open source. If you can managed to setup Home Seer you should easily manage to setup either of these. You just need to get started.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2018, 07:31:38 AM »

No problem Dave, many of us old timers x10 users have been wanting to do something with a PI .
I was a little hesitant with diving into the PI world but these things are just so attractive for a off grid setup I just had to attempt it.
I know... others have informed me I don't NEED the Pi HG setup (as I have Homeseer). But that isn't the point. I think a Pi solution for X10 is highly advantageous and maybe even essential for X10. I'd like to be a part of this.
Pi boards are so versatile but think back to your first PC and how bulky they were these little devices are amazing. I'm still pushing my 3B+
As petera stated HG will run on any PI however if you load it up you may suffer lags.
HG comes with X10, Zwave and Philps hue code already installed you just have to check to activate it. If your just running X10 a fist gen PI A should have no issues.

I think the big thing that intiminates Beginers is this is a server and there is no desktop start Icon HG starts when the Pi starts.

The developer of Home Genie BE is currently putting together two new installers. Both installers are a simple script that does every thing for you. Once perfected they will be the way to install for beginners as they are even simpler. Just one line to paste into the terminal window.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »

So HG is now Running with X10 control, How do I create macros?
HG has an incredible powerful macro builder which allows you to use it's built in wizard or actually build one with C#, java script, Ruby, Python etc. however since this thread is for newbies we'll stick with the Macro Wizard.
1:With HG displaying your X10 page showing your X10 modules click on the actions tab (lower right) then click macro wizard.
2: the macro wizard will now record all device clicks(on/off dim) these are what will happen after a trigger. the wizard doesn't record the trigger. yet.
3: After you have recorded all devices you wish to actives click save (bottom center tab) this opens the macro screen.
4: with the macro screen open your in the summary tab to enter a name for your macro a description for what it does etc.
be sure to specify a Program group It will make finding the macro easier if you wish to modify it later.
5: click on the program tab this will display all modules you added to the macro via the wizard.
here you can click the capture tab to add RF actions or add additional devices. you can also remove devices or change the order in which they fire. If you need additional help click the hep button to the right
6: with all your actions set click on the trigger code tab, this allows you to set the trigger which will start the macro.
If you wish the macro to be triggered on a X10 RF event click capture then send the X10 code from a remote once that displays click the stop button in the RF screen that is showing.
If you wish to trigger via PLC click the add condition and find the module you wish to watch for in the pop up and its status.
 If you need additional help click the hep button to the right.
7:once you have all your conditions added you can select the trigger options.
8: you can now go back and view your macro info and other settings to double check every thing If it looks good click the actions tab(bottom right ) here you can test run or save Once the save successful message appears your set.
clicking the back tab(Bottom left)should take you to the program list which you saved your macro to. clicking Home will return you to your X10 group screen. You want to click the back tab.
9: Now that your in the program group that your macro is located you need to tell HG to use this macro so it needs to be activated to do this click on the triangle to the right of your macro. once this changes to a check mark the macro is active and when GH sees the trigger your macro will run.
10: Click the home button to return to your X10 screen your macro is set.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »

.. Unlike Home Seer they are free to use and open source. If you can managed to setup Home Seer you should easily manage to setup either of these. You just need to get started.

Homeseer ain't cheap. But they do have sales and the HomeTroller is based on the same old ($39) PBPi units everybody uses. The BIG difference is telephone tech support. Whereas my setup runs GREAT.... I know every little about it.

Thanks for the reply.... I am on it!

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 10:34:24 AM »

... Dave, many of us old timers x10 users have been wanting to do something with a PI.

I've often thought (and posted) that Home Automation could and should be run on the smallest devices possible. Before I discovered Pi's I was thinking tablets and phones. And, of course, phones will continue to play a big part in everything (HA included) for some time. I think these Pi's.... may be the future of X10.

As petera stated HG will run on any PI however if you load it up you may suffer lags. HG comes with X10, Zwave and Philps hue code already installed you just have to check to activate it. If your just running X10 a fist gen PI A should have no issues.

It's important that the Philips Hue protocol is included. The smart/WiFi light bulbs let people control a light for less that $10. I am big believer in more lights in more places.... instead of the old fashioned centralized big bulb with a dimmer.

I think the big thing that intiminates Beginers is this is a server and there is no desktop start Icon HG starts when the Pi starts.

That is the same as the Hometroller (Homeseer). And many single-use small processer devices. I like that. 

The developer of Home Genie BE is currently putting together two new installers. Both installers are a simple script that does every thing for you. Once perfected they will be the way to install for beginners as they are even simpler. Just one line to paste into the terminal window.

Maybe.... at some point X10 may want to sell a pre-loaded Pi with a CM19A, and maybe a WM-100 or a Transceiver (or a WM-100 that pairs with the Pi).

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »

I'll begin the install at nightfall. Wish me luck.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »

Maybe.... at some point X10 may want to sell a pre-loaded Pi with a CM19A, and maybe a WM-100 or a Transceiver (or a WM-100 that pairs with the Pi).
I believe something will eventually come out like that but there still is the initial setup of Pi devices that cause Users to sit on the fence.
Good luck with your install I'm sure it will go smoother then you thought.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »

UN FREAKING believable!!!!!

That set-up (thanks to your directions Tuicemen was super quick... and no effort. A little copy paste... a little wait here wait there (not long). I connected the (secondary) CM15A, added 3 modules (switches actually). and it WORKS.  I still have a lot to learn.... but that will be another thread.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
    • Tuicemen Software
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »

That set-up (thanks to your directions Tuicemen was super quick... and no effort. A little copy paste... a little wait here wait there (not long). I connected the (secondary) CM15A, added 3 modules (switches actually). and it WORKS.  I still have a lot to learn.... but that will be another thread.
Glad to see you now have it working.  >! here are some links to help you further customize your setup though you may already have them others may wish them too.
HomegGenie currently active forum- https://homegenie.club/
X10 Home Genie help documentation(though intended for windows setup most info can be done for the PI easily) Don't let the title fool you it is an expansion on the X10 Pi for dummies documentation by other HG users - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ybc1im6yvsn8a5/HomeGenie%2C%20HA-Bridge%2C%20Broadlink%20RM%2C%20and%20X10%20living%20in%20Harmony.doc?dl=0
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 08:10:40 PM »

Don't forget you're actually running a Windows based program in Linux on the Raspberry Pi. Many newcomers to Homegenie on the Raspberry Pi tend to forget that. Mono is the magic ingredient that makes all this happen in Linux and specifically Raspbian when it comes to the Raspberry Pi.

As an experiment, when you feel comfortable with it try installing it in Windows at some stage. You won't need Mono there.

One last piece of vital advice. You now have a base working version of Homegenie on an SD card. Make sure you take some form of backup of that SD card before you get in any deeper. You can do this by making an image of the SD card as you have it now. Easy process and so simple to restore in the event of a disaster. A lot simpler for those who are not familiar with the Linux file structures.

You can of course take a backup using Homegenies own backup utility but this will only restore the Homegenie settings and not the Raspbian OS.

Finally when you are more familiar with the Linux file structures you can copy individual folders like your working folder to a secondary storage location.

You definitely had your hand held tightly on this one  :)%

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:14:00 PM »

It's taken a little thought and planning.... and I still have "holes" in my plot as how to proceed with HomeGenie. But I have a direction.

I never bothered to list every device I have automated to become "found" and used by Alexa. Some devices are dependent on my theater remote, a CM15A macro, or even just an actual PalmPad. I just don't find it useful to voice control all devices. One such, non-automated bit of automation, is my X10 security console and accessories. A couple outdoor modules (holiday lighting), a deck light, and an motor-controlled recliner (to lock it out from the grandkids), ETC..

I will also add a Phillips HUE light bulb or two (with a yet to be purchased up-light fixture). (Maybe replacing my Wink controlled Cree light). I am also hopeful... I can find a way to play wave files (or some such thing) to add voice alerts and warning.... maybe via BT? Or via the Echo devices? Or... hardwired.

I am almost anxious to see where the road blocks might be.... but I'd rather things go smoothly. If (when) it all works.... I hope to run both... my RBPi powered Home Genie AND my Homeseer Hometroller. With each setup controlling their own devices and having their own macros. BOTH setups will also be under control on Amazon Alexa (where useful).

Once I have two separate (but equal) setups.... I can operate that way... or merge the automation into either flavor or brand.  Any suggestions and/or advice is welcome.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:17:24 PM by HA Dave »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 06:34:05 AM »

It's taken a little thought and planning.... and I still have "holes" in my plot as how to proceed with HomeGenie. But I have a direction.

I never bothered to list every device I have automated to become "found" and used by Alexa. Some devices are dependent on my theater remote, a CM15A macro, or even just an actual PalmPad. I just don't find it useful to voice control all devices. One such, non-automated bit of automation, is my X10 security console and accessories. A couple outdoor modules (holiday lighting), a deck light, and an motor-controlled recliner (to lock it out from the grandkids), ETC..

I will also add a Phillips HUE light bulb or two (with a yet to be purchased up-light fixture). (Maybe replacing my Wink controlled Cree light). I am also hopeful... I can find a way to play wave files (or some such thing) to add voice alerts and warning.... maybe via BT? Or via the Echo devices? Or... hardwired.

I am almost anxious to see where the road blocks might be.... but I'd rather things go smoothly. If (when) it all works.... I hope to run both... my RBPi powered Home Genie AND my Homeseer Hometroller. With each setup controlling their own devices and having their own macros. BOTH setups will also be under control on Amazon Alexa (where useful).

Once I have two separate (but equal) setups.... I can operate that way... or merge the automation into either flavor or brand.  Any suggestions and/or advice is welcome.

Basically you will have two Raspberry Pis running two different home automation systems. Not a big problem as they can talk to each other but not really necessary when you could probably run everything from one Pi using one single system.

Home Genie is open source and very expandable but community development is very limited. That may change in the future but after one year under new maintainers not a lot has happened. If you become a little more proficient in the Raspbian environment this could well be the way to go.

Home Seer on the other hand is a commercial product and the product you are using I assume is the Hometroller Zee or Zee S2. Its a scaled down version of Home Seer and you are at the mercy of the developers as to what you can and can't add to it. Their version of Raspbian on these units is currently stuck at Jessie which causes its own difficulties as Jessie will not run on the latest Raspberry Pi. You are restricted to the amount of plugins you can use at one time. This of course is implemented so you are forced to buy the full version of Home Seer.

I've implemented home automation using both of the above. Each has it's pros and cons but I still ended up going the Home Assistant route. This was decided on the basis of the fact that my home automation system revolved around a professional home security panel which already had all the sensors I required and supported X10. Of course the healthy Home Assistant community coupled with the vast amount of add ons available and the bonus that it is open source and free to use sealed the deal.

HA Dave

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »

Basically you will have two Raspberry Pis running two different home automation systems......…. you could probably run everything from one Pi using one single system.

…. Each has it's pros and cons but I still ended up going the Home Assistant route. This was decided on the basis of the fact that my home automation system revolved around a professional home security panel which already had all the sensors I required and supported X10. Of course the healthy Home Assistant community coupled with the vast amount of add ons available and the bonus that it is open source and free to use sealed the deal.

Understand.... my "decision" to run with Homegenie... was solely based on the fact that it was the only (1st?) Pi based setup I was able to get installed. And you're right... it does appear that I could do everything I've thought to do… with either HG or Homeseer (or HA). At this point.... I see no added advantage in consolidating my setup to just ONE Pi and/or software.

I have a spare memory card... already primed and loaded with Raspbian.... I do not object to trying out HA. But the directions do have to be as "de-skilled" as Tuicemen did with his.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 01:39:02 PM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.