💬General Category > X10 Deal News & Alerts

X10 PZZ01 whole-home signal blocker/coupler CHEAP

<< < (2/3) > >>

toasterking:
I can confirm that as a passive coupler, it works a lot better than nothing.  But I eventually needed an XTB-IIR anyway once I had enough X10 transmitters (and effectively greater attenuation) in the house.  I had no way of confirming noise levels before and after installation, so the baby monitor comment seems like useful information.  I don't think it should be referred to as a "blocker" if all it does is slightly attenuate the signal.  I wonder how likely it is for a neighbor's X10 transmissions to cross through a pole transformer and a PZZ01 and still interfere with one's system.

I got my power company to temporarily disconnect service to my house in order to install mine.  It was not difficult to install and the only problems I had were with them.  It took several form submissions and calls to explain to them that I wasn't moving or discontinuing service, I only needed it off for a day, I wanted it resumed at the same location under the same account, and I was doing to work myself.  Strangely, they still opted to actually cut the cables rather than pulling the meter.  And I also discovered that the cable connecting the meter box to the breaker panel had an outer sheath that was very good at being weatherproof, because it was full of water, as was the meter box since they had never put a proper drip loop in the cable drop from the pole.  I demanded they fix that also before I hooked things back up.  The contractor they sent out didn't believe me until I invited him inside and bent the cable over so it poured all over the floor.  Making that happen required several frustrating calls as well, and they refused to replace my cable (since it's past their demarc) even though their negligence had damaged it.  So anyway, be prepared for that kind of thing!

docbell:

--- Quote from: toasterking on August 14, 2018, 09:39:29 PM ---But wait!  You can also get the Leviton version for $6!  It's the same thing but with the Leviton branding.  It appears Home Controls is liquidating them.  Or maybe they're just clearing them.  Either way, they're really cheap right now.  US shipping is $6.99, but it appears you can get multiple units with that shipping rate.

--- End quote ---

Also available on Amazon  (https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-6284-Multi-Phase-Blocking-240-Volt/dp/B0008IVHTW) for $5.22 with free shipping. These days my noise problems are self-inflicted, so even at that price I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

toasterking:

--- Quote from: docbell on August 16, 2018, 06:11:28 PM ---Also available on Amazon [...] for $5.22 with free shipping.
--- End quote ---
Oh, wow.  Good catch!

toasterking:

--- Quote from: docbell on August 16, 2018, 06:11:28 PM ---These days my noise problems are self-inflicted, so even at that price I'm not sure it's worth the bother.
--- End quote ---
I've read horror stories about people finding that their X10 problems were due to a next-door neighbor installing new CFLs.  Regardless of what my problems are today, I'd like to do whatever I can to help avoid that scenario!

bkenobi:
If you are planning on having an electrician work on your main panel anyway, I don't see any down side to installing one of these.  In my case, I found that installing one would require a major rewiring due to changed regulations.  If I were to install one, the PUD would require that a CVT that was installed in my basement be relocated outside the house.  The suggested cost was in the 5 figures range.  I decided that I'm not close to neighbors and I can get 99% of the way there with some filters and the XTB-IIR.  If it simply required a snap-on style coil, I'd do it in a heartbeat since these are so cheap.  But, since a homeowner can't work on the city side of the mains, it's not a simple install of a $5 part.

My suggestion is buy one and hold onto it until you need work on your panel.  In the mean time, talk to Jeff about the XTB-IIR and proper filtering.  Unless you have a neighbor that's absolutely blasting noise (which is likely a problem for the electric company to solve anyway), you should be good the foreseeable future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version