Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: HG and Alexa?  (Read 6650 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
HG and Alexa?
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:41:27 AM »

I apparently.... misunderstood.

I had seen the Phillips Hue selection in the HG software (a dropdown). And I guess I assumed the IFTTT was built in. So... what am I getting into. I followed a link in the direction. And although there was a error... I found my way. And registered. I've also viewed a YouTube video. And... I've found you post at the Homegenie Club Tuicemen
https://homegenie.club/t/ha-bridge-addition/322/2

Still I am not sure where this is going. Anyone got any info?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:05:57 AM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HG and Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »

I'm not sure how the Phillips Hue program works in HG I believe it talks to a Hue Hub. I don't own any hue stuff but noticed the program could be modified to work with Ha-Bridge which also talked to hue devices among others.
IFTTT is a cloud based macro tool and it is possible to use it with anything that will accept web hooks you need to expose HG to the net in order to use IFTTT.
Still I am not sure where this is going. Anyone got any info?
What info are you looking for? There are several ways to do things knowing exactly what your looking for will narrow down the options.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:17 AM »

I'm not sure how the Phillips Hue program works in HG I believe it talks to a Hue Hub.

Crap. I thought the IFTTTT would emulate whatever was needed... and act AS a Hue Hub. So much for that. Cree [brand] WiFi bulbs work fine with my old Wink Hub which works well with Alexa. I don't need another Hub. I'll live without the Hue IFTTT.

IFTTT is a cloud based macro tool and it is possible to use it with anything that will accept web hooks you need to expose HG to the net in order to use IFTTT......
………... What info are you looking for? There are several ways to do things knowing exactly what your looking for will narrow down the options.

I want to control my X10 devices, via my Pi running Homegenie (using the CM15A), [and] by Alexa voice command (and routines).

There we go... I think that was clear. I can be as guilty as anyone else... when it comes to being too general in my posts.

I have HG running on my Pi
My HG uses a [USB connected] CM15A
With HG displayed on a monitor (actually a small TV)… I can mouse click devices On/Off and everything works fine. (these are devices with previously un-used names and X10 addresses).
However running "discover devices with Alexa".... Alexa doesn't discover the devices I have working on HG
I've read many of the posts at the Homegenie Club (YOURS included) and I understand I need to use IFTTT to commutate between the HG/Pi and Alexa
Is there step-by-step directions somewhere?.... like the one you posted here that got me running HG

Is there a Alexa skill?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:23:43 AM by HA Dave »

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »

I read the instructions included in the link provided below (Tuicemen). They are a bit over-my-head.

My searching has turned up this: https://github.com/armzilla/amazon-echo-ha-bridge

But I don't speak/read this stuff yet.... so I don't know how to implement. Or maybe it's all just over my head.

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »

I'm not sure how the Phillips Hue program works in HG I believe it talks to a Hue Hub.

Crap. I thought the IFTTTT would emulate whatever was needed... and act AS a Hue Hub. So much for that. Cree [brand] WiFi bulbs work fine with my old Wink Hub which works well with Alexa. I don't need another Hub. I'll live without the Hue IFTTT.

IFTTT is a cloud based macro tool and it is possible to use it with anything that will accept web hooks you need to expose HG to the net in order to use IFTTT......
………... What info are you looking for? There are several ways to do things knowing exactly what your looking for will narrow down the options.

I want to control my X10 devices, via my Pi running Homegenie (using the CM15A), [and] by Alexa voice command (and routines).

There we go... I think that was clear. I can be as guilty as anyone else... when it comes to being too general in my posts.

I have HG running on my Pi
My HG uses a [USB connected] CM15A
With HG displayed on a monitor (actually a small TV)… I can mouse click devices On/Off and everything works fine. (these are devices with previously un-used names and X10 addresses).
However running "discover devices with Alexa".... Alexa doesn't discover the devices I have working on HG
I've read many of the posts at the Homegenie Club (YOURS included) and I understand I need to use IFTTT to commutate between the HG/Pi and Alexa
Is there step-by-step directions somewhere?.... like the one you posted here that got me running HG

Is there a Alexa skill?

As Tuicemen suggested make a complete list of what you want a particular technology to do for you. It's easier in the long run as it will save you being sent down many different roads to get from point A to point B.

Philips Hue will work fine in Home Genie via the Philips hub and the bridge. This link will give you an idea what is needed to achieve this. http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/index82e3.html?topic=498.0

A lot of what you need to know about Home Genie is on this forum and a google search prefixed with Home Genie should throw up what you need to know.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:06:13 AM »

Another post on the old forum from Jens outlines installing the bridge from a jar file. Again it's a little dated and probably needs updating. Handy to read through just for info purposes. http://old.homegenie.club:8080/www.homegenie.it/forum/indexa34b.html?topic=1715.30

David Wallis reckons he has an integrated solution that will install the bridge from within Home Genie rather than externally on the same Raspberry Pi server as Jens solution does.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 11:09:36 AM »

I created the HA-Bridge linking program for HG more for the added features of the Broadlink RM.
Using it you can control Hue and other devices as well as get Alexa control.
There also is an other program similar to HA-Bridge a HG user created special for HG but I never tried it, both will give you Alexa control without a hub.
IFTTT is just another way to get Alexa control.
The link you provided Dave is just another software bridge for Alexa control just like HA-Bridge is.
The HA-bridge developer seems to be the most actively updating.
https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »

….. make a complete list of what you want a particular technology to do for you. It's easier in the long run as it will save you being sent down many different roads to get from point A to point B.

Simple. Home Genie already plays well with X10 devices via a CM15A (or CM11A). Tuicemen's step-by-step (post #1 this thread) was perfect and easy!  However..... all modern Home Automation also includes some sort cloud-based voice control as well (Amazon or Google). I like Amazons Alexa myself. I'd like to be able to control my X10 devices using Alexa.

Alexa control... also means global control... and bunches of other advantages that would no longer be a requirement to do with the Pi or homeGenie. This ONE single addition to the HG setup would/could put X10 inline with all other advanced automation devices. Essentially it would give X10 a HUB.

I want to control my X10 devices using Alexa..... and I'd guess tens of thousands of other X10 users might want to also.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:40:41 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »

I want to control my X10 devices using Alexa..... and I'd guess tens of thousands of other X10 user might want to also.
HA-Bridge or simular software will turn your Pi into a universal Alexa Hub to control X10 or virtualy any IOT device you have.

Install is simple and you don't need to use my HA-Bridge HG program.
https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge#manual-installation-of-ha-bridge-and-setup-of-systemd-service
Probably as simple as installing HG though setup is a bit tricky for X10. till you get the hang of it then it is simple to add more devices

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 11:32:02 AM »

I created the HA-Bridge linking program for HG more for the added features of the Broadlink RM.

Yeah. I read about that at the Homegenie Club (I believe). I have/own a Broadlink which controls (limited functions) my living room TV and cable box. It's a fine device. But I'd prefer a simpler setup for my HG setup.

There also is an other program similar to HA-Bridge a HG user created special for HG but I never tried it, both will give you Alexa control without a hub.

Great. But a link to the github files (and I do understand who/what GitHub is) doesn't help me. Until someone includes a HA-Bridge in the HG install... I still need to find a non-programs step-by-step (like your included in the beginning of this thread). I am not  programmer. I can copy-paste... but I don't know the were/whys/hows of any of this.

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 11:34:29 AM »

HA-Bridge or simular software will turn your Pi into a universal Alexa Hub to control X10 or virtualy any IOT device you have.

Install is simple and you don't need to use my HA-Bridge HG program.
https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge#manual-installation-of-ha-bridge-and-setup-of-systemd-service
Probably as simple as installing HG though setup is a bit tricky for X10. till you get the hang of it then it is simple to add more devices

And.... I got lost at:   Create the directory and make sure that ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar is in your /home/pi/ha-bridge directory.

As long as it remains this complicated.... the Pi solution will be relegated to just a handful of guys... and unfortunately I likely won't be one of them. It has to be made simplifier and easier to understand.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:37:14 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »

And.... I got lost at:   Create the directory and make sure that ha-bridge-5.2.1.jar is in your /home/pi/ha-bridge directory.

As long as it remains this complicated.... the Pi solution will be relegated to just a handful of guys... and unfortunately I likely won't be one of them. It has to be made simplifier and easier to understand.
I had created a how to setup HA-Bridge thread on my forum as well as how to setup X10 devices found in HG.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1287.msg7943#msg7943
However after looking over it I see I simply pointed to the setup instructions found on the GitHub pages. B:(
I'll rewrite this so it is more a step by step for Pi beginners. >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »

.... I had created a how to setup HA-Bridge thread on my forum as well as how to setup X10 devices found in HG.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1287.msg7943#msg7943
However after looking over it I see I simply pointed to the setup instructions found on the GitHub pages. B:(
I'll rewrite this so it is more a step by step for Pi beginners. >!

Thanks Tuicemen. There is nothing wrong with your presentation.... for Pi hobbyists. But I am not a programmer. But I swear I am doing my best here to understand.

I know it's NOT your responsibility to pound-out all these step-by-steps. But you may be the only person in the on-line world that fully understands the needs/desires of Home Automation X10'ers AND understands the Pi programing requirements. I certainly appreciate your efforts and great contributions here (as well as at the HG Club). And I think... you might also help LOTS of other X10'ers and Pi hobbyists.

If your step-by-step for a HA Bridge is as effective as you HG set-up.... most X10 users (with a CM15A) will be able to use Alexa to control there setup for the few bucks of a PI unit.... and a Saturday morning for setup.

That would effectively be.... the X10 Hub. Which makes me wonder.... is there an IFTTT skill to activate?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 12:33:04 PM by HA Dave »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »

….. make a complete list of what you want a particular technology to do for you. It's easier in the long run as it will save you being sent down many different roads to get from point A to point B.

Simple. Home Genie already plays well with X10 devices via a CM15A (or CM11A). Tuicemen's step-by-step (post #1 this thread) was perfect and easy!  However..... all modern Home Automation also includes some sort cloud-based voice control as well (Amazon or Google). I like Amazons Alexa myself. I'd like to be able to control my X10 devices using Alexa.

Alexa control... also means global control... and bunches of other advantages that would no longer be a requirement to do with the Pi or homeGenie. This ONE single addition to the HG setup would/could put X10 inline with all other advanced automation devices. Essentially it would give X10 a HUB.

I want to control my X10 devices using Alexa..... and I'd guess tens of thousands of other X10 user might want to also.

So you want Alexa at the heart of your home automation using Home Genie controlling your X10 devices. Your CM11/CM15 is your hub. Most of the more modern lighting technologies are purely wireless hubs like the Harmony, Logitech and Philips the one you expressed an interest in. They are all put into discovery mode and with the relevant skill enabled on the Echo they automatically discover your devices.

I'm sure you have done this in HomeSeer by enabling the HomeSeer skill on the Echo and the Echo discovers your X10 devices.

Using the bridge you are providing the WebHook manually so the Echo associates the web address with the relevant device.

If not already registered on the HomeGenie Club forum I recommend doing so. This is exactly the chat that is needed there.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 01:05:14 PM »

That would effectively be.... the X10 Hub. Which makes me wonder.... is there an IFTTT skill to activate?
Forget IFTTT! it isn't needed for this it is a separate cloud based tool allowing you to control IOT devices from a  trigger (basically creating macros). Focus on one thing at a time as a beginner to the world of Pis you'll get confused very quickly trying to set every thing up at once.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.