Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: KISS my PI!!  (Read 5335 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
KISS my PI!!
« on: August 19, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »

I understand Pis were created as educational boards and thus all instructions for setting things up are using the terminal.
But this doesn't have to be. Having to enter muti lines of code and waiting for each to complete before moving on, just to install a simple program to see if it suit me is a total waste of my time. >*<
The KISS approach is what attracts users.
Software Developers should create and make available simple installer scripts which can either be run from in the terminal window or executed from the GUI.
I'd not tried my hand at this for PIs until this week and it isn't that difficult to learn and do.
Without these simple installers many will not even attempt to use a SBC like the PI.
Infact it is what shyed me away from Linux so many years ago.

Simple installers is what makes Windows programs so attractive.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: KISS my PI!!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 06:43:41 PM »

I understand Pis were created as educational boards and thus all instructions for setting things up are using the terminal.
But this doesn't have to be. Having to enter muti lines of code and waiting for each to complete before moving on, just to install a simple program to see if it suit me is a total waste of my time. >*<
The KISS approach is what attracts users.
Software Developers should create and make available simple installer scripts which can either be run from in the terminal window or executed from the GUI.
I'd not tried my hand at this for PIs until this week and it isn't that difficult to learn and do.
Without these simple installers many will not even attempt to use a SBC like the PI.
Infact it is what shyed me away from Linux so many years ago.

Simple installers is what makes Windows programs so attractive.

To be honest I think would be users are looking for embedded solutions. They just want to turn on the device and it works. With the likes of a satellite receiver, you turn it on and it works. Nobody realises or really cares what's going on under the hood. A classic example of an embedded Linux system.

We used to flash new linux images onto the old EPROMs on the main board of an old satellite receiver to give it a new lease of life. In fact embedded Linux on a Raspberry Pi is ideal for a home automation project.

Anyone who has taken the time to explore Linux in any of it's flavours will wonder why they left it so long to do this. It will take you in directions you could have only dreamed of with MS Windows.

We do still people need people to explore the OS and the kernel so that ongoing development continues to grow as it has done for many years for the benefit of others.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »

@tuicemen you might like to try this version of Linux if you have some old low spec hardware lying about looking for a new home. You might be pleasantly surprised at the results specially if you like working in the GUI world. https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.php

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:34:02 AM »

Thanks, I've played with several lite versions of Linux.
Even ones run from a USB or CD the OS but still find my self not using them for much.

The OS is not the real issue, the issue is the install of most Opensource Home automation software.
I don't mind the install from the terminal what gets me is having to cut paste or type commands then wait for the task to complete before adding the next line. A simple script does all that for you.
Sure images are available for some Home Automation software and I will most likely try them when if one comes available for the 3B+
However these won't suit my off grid setup as I want the Desktop environment occasionally for streaming.
With my CM15 embedded Zero W I don't require the desktop so I suspect these images will best be suited for it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »

Some developers have nicely thought out installers.  Others don't.  HG has a good installer, but if you want extra features it does require more packages be installed.  I wrote a script that does all of that, but since it isn't being maintained it probably doesn't work today (though it would be easy to fix if necessary).  I tried another HA software that had a single command and it was up and running including all configuration of the hardware as I recall.  I didn't really like the way it worked with my specific setup, though.

The difference you are experiencing IMO is the Linux community is not the same as the Windows one.  Linux people have a general preference for being able to configure everything and so the packages are generally separate from the program utilizing it.  When you install that program, it should link to the support package.  This doesn't always seem to be the case.  For Windows, you just install the .exe or unzip the program and it either works or doesn't.

docbell

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »

The difference you are experiencing IMO is the Linux community is not the same as the Windows one.  Linux people have a general preference for being able to configure everything and so the packages are generally separate from the program utilizing it.  When you install that program, it should link to the support package.  This doesn't always seem to be the case.  For Windows, you just install the .exe or unzip the program and it either works or doesn't.

Good point. I wrote the following before you posted, so please excuse the overlap.

These are interesting comments, but it might help to step back from the narrow perspective of home automation. The big picture of software installation and updating in general suggests that the problems of packaging and distribution will not be solved once and for all for every type of system. In relatively "closed" ecosystems (like MacOS), installers are cookie-cutter items that are very reliable and even unnecessary when applications can be installed by drag-and-drop. For systems like Windows and (especially) linux, where the developer faces a wide range of possible hardware and software configurations, writing an installer can become a major project in itself. In truly embedded systems (the engine control or nav system in your car), updates are possible only if the hardware has been designed to allow them. Where a Pi running HA software falls on this spectrum depends on whether you want HA to coexist with other services you install or whether you want someone to ship you an off-the-shelf SD card.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

Some developers have nicely thought out installers.  Others don't.  HG has a good installer, but if you want extra features it does require more packages be installed. 
Agreed
I wrote a script that does all of that, but since it isn't being maintained it probably doesn't work today (though it would be easy to fix if necessary).
you should clean it up and post it to the HG forum.
The difference you are experiencing IMO is the Linux community is not the same as the Windows one.  Linux people have a general preference for being able to configure everything and so the packages are generally separate from the program utilizing it.  When you install that program, it should link to the support package.  This doesn't always seem to be the case.
I agree again[/quote]  For Windows, you just install the .exe or unzip the program and it either works or doesn't. [/quote]
 rofl that seems to be the case for some of the images I've looked at for the 3b+, however I've yet to find one that worked B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »

The single board computer explosion, in particular the Raspberry Pi which was developed for educational purposes, and it's tinkering capabilities has attracted a diverse user base. I wouldn't recommend it for those who are looking for an easy fix though. You've got to be willing to put a little effort in to exploring it's operating system if only to know what you are looking at when the cursor is flashing on a black screen.

The GUI on a Raspberry Pi is very basic and in computing terms I personally do not see any need for it. What I do see a need for and which is greatly overlooked on initial installation is the changing of the default login. People are opening up their Raspberry PI's to the outside world without a thought to basic security. Just this change to your Raspberry Pi can make life a lot easier for you.

The Linux/Windows debate will rage on as it has done for many years until possibly one of them disappear. I wonder which one.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »

I posted an installer on the HG club forum.  I think someone else was working on a better one using a different approach.  I submitted the script in the hopes that there could be a hosted web link that you could use wget on the RPi to pull the maintained script and it would just work.  I don't know if they ever did anything with my script or the one they already had as I haven't been on that forum recently (doesn't work from my office PC due to proxy filters).

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

I just stuck with V526 and haven’t made any changes of late. I don’t think there’s been much in the way of new development other than packaging methods and as I already have my own way of installing HomeGenie it’s no really of interest to me.

I look-in from time to time though. Probably from a nostalgia point of view.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:26:45 PM »

The Linux/Windows debate will rage on as it has done for many years until possibly one of them disappear. I wonder which one.
Given current market shares - approx. Windows 90%, MAC 8%, Linux 2% - one does wonder.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

Given current market shares - approx. Windows 90%, MAC 8%, Linux 2% - one does wonder.

Indeed but also consider the direction each one is going in. As they say when you're No 1 there's only one direction you can go interesting article here. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/low-windows-adoption-rates-means-microsoft-could-be-losing-grip-on-the-enterprise/

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

Looks like Linux is only about a trillion dollars behind Apple. That should be an easy over-take... huh.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:05 PM »

That isn't quite an accurate description of how much of the market Linux holds.  If you want to compare correctly, you'd note that Linux is the backbone for MacOS.  It also is what AndroidOS is based on.  So, if you count phones and tablets into the market share, I'd say Windows is on a steep downward slope considering the number of people who don't know what a computer is.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »

Looks like Linux is only about a trillion dollars behind Apple. That should be an easy over-take... huh.

Yes a bit like Big Blue (IBM) back in the '70s. Untouchable then but then the world changed. Who knows what lies ahead.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.