Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: OPENhabPI -- next gen to AHP?  (Read 6032 times)

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
OPENhabPI -- next gen to AHP?
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:36:15 PM »

folks, consider this for AHP update.

Here is my expience so far...

Check out OpenHab.org

Has interfaces to 1,000's of hardware devices - yes, including CM11 and CM15 X10...  Many running on Rasberry Pi's...  Built in Alexa control I understand (we got one for last Christmas but REFUSE to turn it on - privacy you know).  Folks are using it with IFTTT and Stringify to interface to cell phones, cameras, camera alert messages, etc., etc...

Buy Pi zero W, $10, Arduino.com  $5 shipping in a few days.

Make 16gb bootable raspbian memory card with simple instructions here:
https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/openhabian.html#quick-start

DO NOT USE SEPARATE USB POWER CONNECTION!  I AND OTHERS HAVE BURNED OUT THE PI THIS WAY - NOT NEEDED!

I used a powered USB hub I had hanging around.  Plugged in computer (to get power), mouse, keyboard, my phone to charge while working, and the Pi.  Plug in mini HDMI to display if you have one to watch the installation process!

Nothing is SUPPOSED to be required except the mem card you made and usb to power it! 

I found I wanted to see what was happening so plugged in the display.

I figured my network security settings would not let it navigate to the internet thru my wireless network to complete the automatic setup of OpenHab program, and I was correct.  So off to the further detailed instructions mentioned in the quick start link above:  it says "If you encounter any setup problem, please continue here" and took me to more details to fix my wifi password entry issue...

NOW they tell me!!:

For the setup on Wi-Fi, you'll need to make your SSID and password known to the system before the first boot. The following steps are needed:

Flash the system image to your micro SD card as described, do not remove the SD card yet
    Access the first SD card partition from the file explorer of your choice (e.g. Windows file explorer)
    Open the file openhabian.conf in a text editor
    Uncomment and fill in wifi_ssid="My Wi-Fi SSID" and wifi_psk="password123"
    Save, Unmount, Insert, Boot
    Continue with the instructions for the Raspberry Pi

OK.  Since the first install on mem card went so well, I am going to START OVER and do this!  Display shows it asking for some username...   I'm going back and doing it automatic!

WOW!   Did I say WOW yet??  WOW!!!   It installed on Pi, it is off to internet downloading stuff!!!

OMG.  I do not believe this...  Even an Orangutan could do this!  I sure hope this pans out and is worth it!  Object to me is to replace AHP with a server that is accessible to all computers in my network...

2 hours later I am back at computer...   Wow.  server is on and running on my network!  I have no clue what to do with it, but it seems to have guidance and wants me to pick certain install stuff... I will later tonight. 

So far so good...

using my IP scanner on my network, I immediately see 192.168.0.15 as OpenHABpi!  Server is not available yet as it is still downloading updates and things from the internet!  Been 30 minutes or so... 

I clicked on the IP address again with :8080- at end and it comes uP!!!   hOLY CRAP!!

THIS IS HOW HOME AUTOMATION SHOULD WORK!!! (sorry HG)  It even picked port 8080 instead of 80 like some other HG programs that won't work out of the gate because that port is used on most computers that do work.

I'm off to do 17 other things around the farm.  Will return in a couple hours to see what has happened.

It seems to have installed;  I can easily connect over network..  NO clue what I can do with it, but it is  a start...   more later...

I would be thrilled if others in our X10 community would try this!  Between us all, we could make it go good!

More later

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: OPENhabPI -- next gen to AHP?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »

It is nice to see the OpenHab image works with the Zero W.
I've been contiplating trying other open source software for X10 but there are no images for the 3B+ of anything (yet)
I most likely will try this on my Zero W in the city in the fall.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »

seems to me it said for zero, some other ones, and also 3b...

I did not mean to post this yet - I was going to put it in pi group like yo suggested...  how did i get this here?  haha!  Hope this does not mean I have Alzheimers!  But now that it is here I will add to it as I go!

mike

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 08:21:23 PM »

https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/rasppi.html

Pretty sure all these pi B's mean it works with them too.  there is only 1 install mem card image so it seems it should work for your 3B too...

mike

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »

neat part it installed by itself, updated itself, and the server works across my network INSTANTLY with not hassle, unlike HomeGenie

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »

The GitHub downloads page does state the latest version does support the 3B+  :)%
I didn't find Homegenie a hassle to setup but you were setting it up on Windows so it isn't a good comparison.
If the current image does truely support the 3B+ it hould be an easy go and worth the attempt. ;)
from what I've read you need mochad for X10 support and OpenHab doesn't include that by default.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »

Check out OpenHab.org

…... CM15 X10...  Many running on Rasberry Pi's...  Built in Alexa control I understand (we got one for last Christmas but REFUSE to turn it on - privacy you know).
………..For the setup on Wi-Fi, you'll need to make your SSID and password known to the system before the first boot. The following steps are needed:

Do I understand this correctly? You refuse to use an American based product... because you're "privacy". Yet you post on the Internet and are willing to share your vital security data with.... who? based where?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 08:28:17 AM »

The GitHub downloads page does state the latest version does support the 3B+  :)%
I didn't find Homegenie a hassle to setup but you were setting it up on Windows so it isn't a good comparison.
If the current image does truely support the 3B+ it hould be an easy go and worth the attempt. ;)
from what I've read you need mochad for X10 support and OpenHab doesn't include that by default.

Not difficult to add Mochad manually if that's the only hurdle to using it. Simple copy/paste commands and you're good to go. http://x10linux.blogspot.com/2012/08/installing-mochad-on-raspberry-pi.html?m=1

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 08:37:39 AM »

Not difficult to add Mochad manually if that's the only hurdle to using it. Simple copy/paste commands and you're good to go. http://x10linux.blogspot.com/2012/08/installing-mochad-on-raspberry-pi.html?m=1
yep realize that. And that isn't a problem if that is indeed required. The Idea of a image(my opinion ) is to include all installers into one package. This may or may not be present in the image most info is for manual installs. We'll have to see what Mike experiences.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Check out OpenHab.org

…... CM15 X10...  Many running on Rasberry Pi's...  Built in Alexa control I understand (we got one for last Christmas but REFUSE to turn it on - privacy you know).
………..For the setup on Wi-Fi, you'll need to make your SSID and password known to the system before the first boot. The following steps are needed:

Do I understand this correctly? You refuse to use an American based product... because you're "privacy". Yet you post on the Internet and are willing to share your vital security data with.... who? based where?

You got it.                 

In addition, I assume you mean sharing my network pw to the internet?  Guess I really wrote that bassackwards...  For any computer to get onto a secure network, you need to sign into it from that computer with your password...  Not sure how this is giving everyone vital security data.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong.... when all I knew or had was X10 lights controlled with a PalmPad… I thought it was awesome. But I can't imagine a modern setup that doesn't include AI (and I have a pretty good imagination). The Chinese government, the US government, and many corporations (Amazon included) are each (and possibility cooperatively) trying to construct the human algorithm. They want to know how to get people to want to do.... what they want them to do... or buy.

Since you're posting on-line, and you have electric at home (Home Automation)….. your actions are already in the mix. A fear that someone at Amazon is listening to your private conversations..... isn't rational. It is actually MORE likely a Chinese national is listening.... through your TV. And a certain guarantee the American government is listening.

As a matter of fact.... the Americans Human Algorithm Project is so advanced.... that the previous administration knew months in advance of the last election that Hillary Clinton was a shoe-in. Which makes me wonder.... if all this 'listening" isn't more about secretly moving tax dollars into insiders pockets. 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 09:54:55 AM »

with the lattest release stating it supports the 3B+ I downloaded the image last night and attempted a install this morning.
All looked good till it came to updating repositories and packages then the dreaded Failed message B:(  :(
Initial setup reports errors and exited.
I guess the image hasn't been updated for the 3B+ (yet)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

Tuicemen, Dang!  Double dang!

Dave, my TV has no internet connection.  As conservative as we are, if Alexa were to eavesdrop at our house my wife and I would both have any guns, kitchen knives, bats that we MIGHT own  - not saying we do own anything of the sort - confiscated, and we would be political prisoners hid away with no trial, not charged with anything, just put away someplace like the Bundies...  No thanks.      MAGA

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »

with the lattest release stating it supports the 3B+ I downloaded the image last night and attempted a install this morning.
All looked good till it came to updating repositories and packages then the dreaded Failed message B:(  :(
Initial setup reports errors and exited.
I guess the image hasn't been updated for the 3B+ (yet)

Try the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Quite possible the package is missing dependencies. This should remedy this problem. Just post back and let us know. You may also be missing a repository but the system usually tells us this. Could you do a screen cap after you tried this.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »

Try the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Quite possible the package is missing dependencies. This should remedy this problem. Just post back and let us know. You may also be missing a repository but the system usually tells us this. Could you do a screen cap after you tried this.
To Late  B:( I reinstalled the Debian stretch and will try the manual install, will report back on success.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.