Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: OPENhabPI -- next gen to AHP?  (Read 6030 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: OPENhabPI -- next gen to AHP?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »

Try the following

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Quite possible the package is missing dependencies. This should remedy this problem. Just post back and let us know. You may also be missing a repository but the system usually tells us this. Could you do a screen cap after you tried this.
To Late  B:( I reinstalled the Debian stretch and will try the manual install, will report back on success.

Argh........the dist-upgrade command usually picks up and resolves problems like this.

I used OpenHAB a while back on a Ubuntu server but found it was missing a lot of what I was looking for. I've now noticed someone has come up with a particular binding I was looking for so I'll give it a spin on the Pi at some stage this week and test drive it.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »

meanwhile down on the farm, I have a solid and upto date pi/openHab.    Unfortunately I have no clue what to do with it yet!   hahaha!   I have not had tie to figure out what the server page can do for me or how to set it up.  So far, it seems to me they did a bang up job making a self contained bootable memory card that works out of the box for those of us with older pi designs...   HG came preconfigured with stuff so I could see what it does right away and could emulate what was already there with MY stuff...   wish openHAB came with a single example file so I had a clue what to do next!   I have not made time to figure out how to config this puppy;  I found no 1,2,3 config setup yet.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 04:34:56 PM »

Argh........the dist-upgrade command usually picks up and resolves problems like this.

I used OpenHAB a while back on a Ubuntu server but found it was missing a lot of what I was looking for. I've now noticed someone has come up with a particular binding I was looking for so I'll give it a spin on the Pi at some stage this week and test drive it.
If I remember it never went to a input option even after rebooting and logging in. ::) :' Oh well moving onward! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 06:55:22 PM »

If I remember it never went to a input option even after rebooting and logging in. ::) :' Oh well moving onward! ;)

I'm installing OpenHabian now. I did all the pre config in advance of powering up the Pi3B+. No ethernet cable required and already SSH ready. Just watching the configuration screen from an iPad and all looks good so far.

The image install does make it a lot easier for a new user. Let's see how quickly I can get X10 up and running on it now before I retire to bed.

Looks interesting at first glance. If this goes to plan this will be platform 7 I've got X10 working on with the Raspberry Pi.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »

Hope you get farther then me!
I got lost doing the manual install needless to say It never got installed! Got a "thank you, hope you found what your looking for!" message though rofl  ::) :' :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 08:12:03 PM »

I got lost doing the manual install needless to say It never got installed! Got a "thank you, hope you found what your looking for!" message though rofl  ::) :' :(

Have the server up and running. Bindings are the buzzword in OpenHab. Yes it shows bindings for both CM11 and CM15. To be honest it doesn't look to be the friendliest of platforms I've used so far. I will try both X10 options at some stage but unfortunately the binding I was originally looking for to control my security panel is only in a beta stage and needs loads more work so OH won't be sitting on top of my league.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:37 AM »

Ok got X10 working in OpenHab by adding Mochad from the usual source. Instead of writing a review I've attached the following link which I feel sums up my experience. https://smarthome.university/your-smart-home-platform-home-assistant-vs-openhab/

It's definitely suited to the more seasoned user and as its Java based, to get the most out of it you really need a little knowledge in the Java environment. On the other hand you can get up and running in Home Assistant with X10 with with the minimum of effort.

mike

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »

Yes, I found the binding for the x10 last night but did not get a chance to install it yet.  The scripts using it looked pretty straightforward.

So you have said you tried 7? home automation programs so far?  Would you mind telling them and which ARE ranking as top 3, in order?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »

Yes, I found the binding for the x10 last night but did not get a chance to install it yet.  The scripts using it looked pretty straightforward.

So you have said you tried 7? home automation programs so far?  Would you mind telling them and which ARE ranking as top 3, in order?

Open source
--------------
1) Home Assistant
2) Home Genie
3) Domoticz
4) OpenHAB
5) LinuxMCE

All run on Raspberry Pi with CM11 and CM15

Closed source (Commercial)

1) Home Seer 3 Pro
2) Vera (Doesn't run on Raspberry Pi

Also run X10 CM11 and CM15

In summary, for open source easy to get up and running Home Assistant. Home Genie would be a close second.

For closed source Home Seer3 full version. This version is not cheap but with the full licence you can use it on any platform you choose and mix and match platforms including the Raspberry. They sell a unit called HomeTroller Zee S2 but you are very restricted to what you can use on it.

Vera I would not recommend at all

mike

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »

THANKS!  But Home Assistant only says Heyu supports old serial CM11 not CM15?

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 10:44:08 AM »

THANKS!  But Home Assistant only says Heyu supports old serial CM11 not CM15?

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/mochad/

mike

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »

Hey Petera,

Do you recall from your testing on those top 5 programs if any will command CM15 to SEND X10 RF security code signals?  Like to ARM or DISARM our SC1200?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »

I don't believe any can send the required RF security signal. However since you have a Broadlink RM Pro you could simple send the command to HA-Bridge which would then tell the broadlink to send the correct RF code. HA-Bridge has several Home Automation program helper files
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »

I realize I can do it with additional hardware (RM) & software (HA-bridge), and do have it set up and working on my unreliable windows based HG setup.  I just wondered if any of the other programs incorporated that in their 'bridge' programs.  I see no reason they do not since they are talking to the CM15 anyway and it has the capability to send that RF.

I think I am seeing this OpenHAB does not have the integration HG had;  ie., it is appearing EVERY little thing one would want to have it do requires writing C code command snippets.  Not my cup of tea. 

Unless Petera has answer that one of the others natively can command the CM15 to send security RF, I may give in and go back to trying to set up HG on the pi to see if that gets an acceptable level of server starting over a network;  my recollection is even on Pi many folks have trouble making HG server come up in a browser and that is flat not acceptable to me.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 03:59:55 PM »

I realize I can do it with additional hardware (RM) & software (HA-bridge), and do have it set up and working on my unreliable windows based HG setup.  I just wondered if any of the other programs incorporated that in their 'bridge' programs.  I see no reason they do not since they are talking to the CM15 anyway and it has the capability to send that RF.

I think I am seeing this OpenHAB does not have the integration HG had;  ie., it is appearing EVERY little thing one would want to have it do requires writing C code command snippets.  Not my cup of tea. 

Unless Petera has answer that one of the others natively can command the CM15 to send security RF, I may give in and go back to trying to set up HG on the pi to see if that gets an acceptable level of server starting over a network;  my recollection is even on Pi many folks have trouble making HG server come up in a browser and that is flat not acceptable to me.

I've no requirement to use X10 security codes but from what I've read it really is not feasible to send them without adding in 3rd party hardware as Tuicemen mentioned. I use a professional security panel which integrates nicely with my home automation setup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.