Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38353 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »

Assuming that it's not a NOOBS version being installed here, a number of others on other forums have reported problems installing and setting up wifi using the Etcher method. It was resolved by downloading the zipped image directly, unzipping the download using 7-Zip and writing the unzipped image using Win32 Image.

Again assuming the download was a good download, error free and that wifi credentials are exactly as they should be ie SSID name and password are exactly as they should be and the relevant WPA encryption being used is declared correctly.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »

Thank you Petera for that info;  I tried enough times to realize the raspbian image being made was the issue. My openhab was a different source and worked fine.  So using it, since it talked wifi, I was able to download and install domoticz and it works.  Mochad is another story.  To install it is like 8 steps/commands.  Having no clue about linux commands, all I could do was type in the words.  Unfortunately 2 or 3 of these commands reported obvious failures.  So testing with yet another linux command beginning with echo did not turn on or off a test lamp.

Thanks Tuicemen; I will try your script tomorrow for mochad!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »

Not sure what method you used to install Mochad but this how to is fairly straightforward, easy to cut and paste and most importantly it works. If nothing else it's worth a read too. Works for CM15 or CM15Pro

https://www.markvriens.com/raspberry-pi-x10-with-cm15pro-controller/

mike

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

Exactly what I did.  First thing that failed was the library install (I assume what that means).  2-3 failures, out of the 40 or so lines that ran, on that one.  Then the long copy/paste wget failed some I think...  rest seemed to not report any fails. 

Also now that I have domoticz installed and some mochad, wifi connection is flaky.  It stops randomly and i have to cycle power to pi to get it back after a reboot taking about 1.5 minutes...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

You've probably seen this link too but I'll include it anyway https://www.sigmdel.ca/michel/ha/domo/domo_08_en.html

If its possible at all the best solution is a fresh install of Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi Zero to rule out any problems with the board itself. I know you've tried this many times but make sure the credentials are exactly as they should be. One incorrect space or one incorrect case on the letters will stop you connecting to wifi. The "your credentials" with no space inside the quotations marks.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2018, 08:45:31 PM »

Probably sounds a little basic at this stage but you're definitely dropping those two files into the /boot folder and not the /root folder.

One last thing, when you save the wpa supplicant file as wpa_supplicant.conf Windows has a habit of saving it as wpa_supplicant.conf.txt as its saving as a text file. Just make sure you edit the file name so the .txt is not present. Check the file name in properties just to make sure as Raspbian will not  recognise it as a config file.

mike

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 10:22:51 AM »

if you have issues finding the mochad installer you can try the mochad script I made for myself
Code: [Select]
wget -qO- http://tuicemen.com/downloads/pi/mochad/mochad-17.sh | bash

Access denied?

mike

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 10:24:31 AM »

if you have issues finding the mochad installer you can try the mochad script I made for myself

Access denied?

my bad;  it wanted my pw again...  working

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »

Yes some OS flavors require your user password with initial terminal input.
Glad to see your back working.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »

Access denied?

still gets stuck:

[10:23:39] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ wget -qO- http://tuicemen.com/downloads/pi/mochad/mochad-17.sh | bash
looking for libusb-1.0-0-dev

[sudo] password for openhabian:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libusb-1.0-0-dev is already the newest version (2:1.0.21-1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 9 not upgraded.
--2018-09-03 10:24:07--  https://sourceforge.net/projects/mochad/files/mochad-0.1.17.tar.gz/download
Resolving sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)... 216.105.38.13
Connecting to sourceforge.net (sourceforge.net)|216.105.38.13|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mochad/mochad-0.1.17.tar.gz?r=&ts=1535984648&use_mirror=pilotfiber [following]
--2018-09-03 10:24:08--  https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mochad/mochad-0.1.17.tar.gz?r=&ts=1535984648&use_mirror=pilotfiber
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)... 216.105.38.13
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net (downloads.sourceforge.net)|216.105.38.13|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mochad/mochad-0.1.17.tar.gz [following]
--2018-09-03 10:24:09--  https://pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mochad/mochad-0.1.17.tar.gz
Resolving pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net (pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net)... 69.12.26.12
Connecting to pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net (pilotfiber.dl.sourceforge.net)|69.12.26.12|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 138416 (135K) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: ‘mochad.tgz’

mochad.tgz          100%[===================>] 135.17K   241KB/s    in 0.6s

2018-09-03 10:24:10 (241 KB/s) - ‘mochad.tgz’ saved [138416/138416]

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
/home/openhabian/mochad/mochad-0.1.17/missing: Unknown `--is-lightweight' option
Try `/home/openhabian/mochad/mochad-0.1.17/missing --help' for more information
configure: WARNING: 'missing' script is too old or missing
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether gcc understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for library containing libusb_init... -lusb-1.0
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking fcntl.h usability... yes
checking fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for fcntl.h... yes
checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
checking for netinet/in.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/socket.h usability... yes
checking sys/socket.h presence... yes
checking for sys/socket.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for pid_t... yes
checking for size_t... yes
checking for uint16_t... yes
checking for uint8_t...

stuck here.   

I thnk I will regroup and download the other etcher program and try new.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »

:o some of the software that use Mochad suggest loading it first.
This maybe what is causing your issue. I've always loaded Mochad first and not ran into an issue. However I'm due  ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2018, 12:23:56 PM »

Definitely calls for a fresh install of Raspbian on the SD card.

Assuming that you have now confirmed your board is working, some form of wifi is working with OpenHabian all it can be is incorrect credentials (which I doubt at this stage) or the wpa supplicant file which possibly has a .txt extension tagged on the end of it when it is created in Windows.

As I mentioned earlier, a properties check in Windows or a dir listing at the command prompt will verify this. Could you possibly attach the wpa supplicant file here minus your credentials if you can't verify it on your own system. Remember Raspbian won't see that file if it has .txt in the name so no wifi connection.

As I mentioned in a previous post scripts are useful as long as they fully execute. Trying to troubleshoot them when they go wrong is the problem. At least when the cut and paste fails you can clearly see being a novice user where they have failed.

The build/make process In Linux can be a disaster if the original author didn't include an uninstall feature. You literally have to check every folder for traces of the makefile and delete them manually.

mike

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2018, 12:55:44 PM »

Petera,  I do not use notepad;  I use a very proficient program called TotalCommander.  Have since dos days in the early 1970s.  It does NOT append .txt to my files.  I double checked to be sure, and sure enough, no .txt -  that is NOT the issue.

I made my .config file first time I made my openhad file - and it worked fine then.  I have since rebuilt it many times.  The latest version is simply 3 lines, none of the other stuff and it still did not take.

Since I am building a new raspbian mem card now, I will restart with SSH file and this wpa config with all the stuff shown in some of the writeups.

Thank you Tuicemen for the comment that others have had issues installing Mochad AFTER thir webserver of choice - i certainly will do so!  And since your script is same as everyone elses, I will copy/paste each line of the normal install myself so I know when/if it fails.

Doing this in between adding steps up a tree with our coon houses up 30' in it for the new babies we just raised for 4 months and released to the wild this weekend, cleaning the barn, etc. etc.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »

Just to confirm that there has been no changes to the current Pi image I did an install on a Pi Zero WH today for a friend. Everything went smoothly and could SSH straight into it by dropping in the blank SSH text file and adding his credentials to the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

As you say your file naming is precise, your credentials are correctly entered so the error must be particular to your setup. Possibly trying a different formatted SD card might help but sounds like you've exhausted all avenues. Is your SSID name and password in a standard format.

I'd borrow an HDMI screen and go the local setup route at this stage. Sounds like OpenHabian is setup in a separate container like Docker or a virtual environment and a standard install of Mochad won't work on a setup like this but you're welcome to keep trying. A number of install instructions will need to be modified to reflect this setup.

mike

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2018, 02:38:37 PM »

As you say, something unique to me.

It did not work.  No wifi connection.  I cannot check with monitor due to what happened due to my 120vac shorted USB power adapter melted my mini HDMI cable...

I suspect the 8GB TF card may not be happy:  it looks fine when I look at it in windows (the \boot J drive - the K unix drive is not accessible in windows)

The linux install consumed my SSH file (it is gone) off my \boot drive so that sounds right.  But now my wpa_ file also is gone...  I will try copying it again to \boot and install...

if not, then I will try my 16gb card that had good openhab install...

I see why Unix never made a dent in the industrial world.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.