Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38337 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

The pi zero w schematic is on the Raspberry Pi site.

Gee 120 Ohms from an AC pin to +5 volts out. Must have been a nasty surprise.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »

Yes, sorta on their website, but just blocks of certain areas of the card;  not enough to find the defective components;  for instance none of the main uproc are shown and none of the hdmi interface. I could not find a complete schematic of the pi zero W on line anywhere.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2018, 02:45:13 PM »

While playing with my Alex X10 Hub project I decided to load up Domoticz just to give it a test run.

@ Mike I believe you'll like it. The install is simple and works with the CM15 using Mochad. Installing X10 devices can be done several ways, the easiest is with a remote which I don't have at my off grid place. However it does see the PLC signals from my WM100 as a remote signal. :)%
I still believe HG to be more powerful but that may change as I play more.
It does see x10 security sensors and you can add them to display status if you wish you can also add the security console to show status. Pressing a arm or disarm will not work and throws an error. I've not attempted a HA-Bridge/Broadlink send as yet still need to read up if that is possible. Domoticz does have a SD image available but the downloadable installer really is simple.
Code: [Select]
sudo curl -L install.domoticz.com | bash
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 02:46:46 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »

Thanks.  I am again within days of receipt of replacement pi zero W's...  I already made a mem card with raspbian which loaded up fine and showed nicely on my hdmi display (until I overcooked my pi).  I was ready to figure out how to copy my copy of domoticz.com program (downloaded on my windows computer) onto the pi's mem card to do the linux load command when I was shut down.  Seems once the linux system is activated on the mem card that card is no longer readable in a win computer.  I am guessing I download directly to the mem card via the linux browser and do not need to go thru my win computer...   Can't wait to try again!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 03:02:39 PM »

Yes, sorta on their website, but just blocks of certain areas of the card;  not enough to find the defective components;  for instance none of the main uproc are shown and none of the hdmi interface. I could not find a complete schematic of the pi zero W on line anywhere.

I may have missed an earlier post but is it worth fiddling around trying to repair a Pi W. Just purchased five units with soldered headers for the equivalent of $90 including delivery here in Europe.

There may be other purchasing issues to consider in the US but maybe a group buy between members may solve those issues.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »

Thanks.  I am again within days of receipt of replacement pi zero W's...  I already made a mem card with raspbian which loaded up fine and showed nicely on my hdmi display (until I overcooked my pi).  I was ready to figure out how to copy my copy of domoticz.com program (downloaded on my windows computer) onto the pi's mem card to do the linux load command when I was shut down.  Seems once the linux system is activated on the mem card that card is no longer readable in a win computer.  I am guessing I download directly to the mem card via the linux browser and do not need to go thru my win computer...   Can't wait to try again!

Was there any reason why you over locked your Pi. Pushing the GPU with a full desktop install and who knows what screen res you're using is a recipe for disaster. By all means if you want to test the Pi W to breaking point that's a good way to go about it.

Believe me. The Pi in all all it's variants is a very capable unit but high end desktop video gaming is not one of it's strong points.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 03:19:48 PM »

Just one last point. Start with a fresh install of Raspbian Pi W and then install a fresh copy of Domoticz. It will save you endlessly troubleshooting later on.

Don't forget to drop in the blank SSH text file and the wpa_supplicant.conf file with all you wifi credentials onto your SD card prior to inserting it in the Pi W and powering it up. Means youre ready to go wifi wise.

mike

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 01:55:50 PM »

So remade my Raspbian SD card, put on blank SSH file and wpa_supplicant.conf, which has the following inside:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
     ssid=   MY SSID name without " " marks
     psk= my security code without the " " marks
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

It blinked (green LED on pi zero W) away for a while like doing something then quit with green LED on solid.

No IP shown on my network for it. 

I assume this means it is not wifi talking.  Maybe the " " marks are needed above?

It appears my HDMI tv had its HDMI input blown along with the various pi's, so I have no way to see what the pi is doing...

I suppose my next step is to find another HDMI monitor to see what is happening?

This is totally ridiculous!  I can program in machine language, I can get thru C language, I can do VB and basic, ladder logic, structured text.  But this linux blind crap is just CRAZY! 

Another 3 hours down the drain.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 02:47:40 PM »

So remade my Raspbian SD card, put on blank SSH file and wpa_supplicant.conf, which has the following inside:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
     ssid=   MY SSID name without " " marks
     psk= my security code without the " " marks
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

It blinked (green LED on pi zero W) away for a while like doing something then quit with green LED on solid.

No IP shown on my network for it. 

I assume this means it is not wifi talking.  Maybe the " " marks are needed above?

It appears my HDMI tv had its HDMI input blown along with the various pi's, so I have no way to see what the pi is doing...

I suppose my next step is to find another HDMI monitor to see what is happening?

This is totally ridiculous!  I can program in machine language, I can get thru C language, I can do VB and basic, ladder logic, structured text.  But this linux blind crap is just CRAZY! 

Another 3 hours down the drain.

Patience required.

Yes the quotation marks are required for your SSID name and password. That's why they were included in the sample config.

Don't forget Linux was created using C.

mike

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 03:48:24 PM »

" That's why they were included in the sample config."

Nonsense. 

When we give customers samples to type in for talking to our servo drives, we often use  quotes.  Same as many other folks. 

Thank you for telling to try again with quotes.  I truly appreciate that.  But I do not appreciate the BS.    I will spend another couple hours making a new boot card, but please stop with the BS extra comments like above.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »

" That's why they were included in the sample config."

Nonsense. 

When we give customers samples to type in for talking to our servo drives, we often use  quotes.  Same as many other folks. 

Thank you for telling to try again with quotes.  I truly appreciate that.  But I do not appreciate the BS.    I will spend another couple hours making a new boot card, but please stop with the BS extra comments like above.

It wasn't BS as you so fondly term it. I was purely pointing out that the quotation marks WERE part of the wifi config file as can be seen in any of the Raspberry Pi related forums. Usually < > are the ones I would use to be ignored as do many others. Different strokes for different folks

Why spend a couple of hours creating a new SD card. When you create the first card after downloading extracting/imaging it just take an image of that card and use it as a blueprint image. Only takes 20 minutes tops to reimage it if you mess it up.

The extra comments you refer to I assume related to C being responsible for Linux. Purely a throwaway remark and noting inferred. I'll keep my commentary purely on a formal basis for future reference.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2018, 07:44:09 AM »

most forums have a code block so you can post code like this
"this is code all info is used 1@ # 'oo'"it is to be used so there is no confusion in what is the actual code.
Saddly verry few use this.
Ive seen posts where the code includes the $ which is also confusing for newbies.
Actually I often find my self including the $ as well when cutting and pasting things to quickly. B:(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »

Trying another few hours and many images later, there seems no combination of quotes, no quotes etc that lets my pi show up on my wifi with this raspbian blind headless approach. 

I stick in my openhabian and it shows right up.

So my idea now:  if I knew linux enough I believe I should be able to kill the openhab program running and instead download the domoticz program and run it.

I can SSH into the openhabian raspbian running pi.

Is there a way to stop a running program (openhab)?  I see sudo command examples for downloading and running the domoticz...

mike

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2018, 02:56:03 PM »

So ignoring openhabian that is running on port 8080, I just installed domoticz thru the SSH putty interface...  it too uses port 8080...   it installed and is running.  I am too afraid to reboot as I have no clue if openhab or domoticz will restart.  So for now it is running and I can go into it with a browser...  so now to find how to install mochad to get x10 io working...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »

if you have issues finding the mochad installer you can try the mochad script I made for myself
wget -qO- http://tuicemen.com/downloads/pi/mochad/mochad-17.sh | bash
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.