Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38373 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »

You need to type
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update that gives the command root access write privileges ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »

yes, thanks, I figured that out.  found a cool site https://askubuntu.com where I can search their q&a for my questions to learn my way thru it...  latest stuck is upgrade did not do one:

Updating FireMotD available updates count ... 2018-09-22 16:00:36,791: FireMotD: Error: Template folder doesn't exist. Upgrading from an older version? Please run make again or run the install function "FireMotD -I -v".

So I ignored it and went on to mochad install first step of installing the a library:
sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
to have it install and then complain same as above about missing FiremotD.   So guess I will need to figure out what it is they want me to do.  Tried the 'sudo apt-get FireMotD -I -v' and that did not work...

mike

« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »

got it from 10 different googled sites;  none of the sudo installs worked, but changing dir to /opt//FireMotD  let me install it directly... 

next mochad step here I come

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2018, 04:56:38 PM »

Glad to see your progressing! I hope your documenting what is working for you in case you need to redo things.
You may wish to give HG another run as the original developer has started working on HG again and there is now a new release available.
It really depends on what you wish to do Home Automation wise I guess as to which Software you finally decide to go with.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2018, 05:58:32 PM »

Back to play some more after a bit of time off.  Sidetracked with getting my chest cracked open, breastbone removed, put aside, new aorta valve put in, breastbone wired back in, 1.5 weeks ago.  Finally back up and can sit and play on my workbench again...

My replacement mini hdmi cables came in and still no video from the pi - I think the sparking tyook out both  monitors I have with hdmi.  I have a mini hdmi toSVGA cable, but my only monitor that can use it is upstairs in the office and I can't get to it yet.

Left my project  trying to get a plain rasberianPi to install and show on wireless.  I went another week making probably 2 dozen more TF cards with none working.  So back to my one habian that does work.  Redownloaded domoticz on it and it shows up in network.  So will try to install mochad again - last attempts never got a complete install without some fault in the process. 

I would like to try to update my software with 'apt-get upgrade' but so far too I can't get it to work - keeps saying no permission:

[15:29:06] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$ apt-get upgrade
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
[15:29:22] openhabian@openHABianPi:~$

I recall being stuck here before my time off period the last few weeks...    googled it and found sudo and it is updating...

now off to finding mochad install schemes again...

You've now downloaded Domoticz on top of OpenHabian. Is that correct. Unless you're very familiar with Linux you're heading for stormy waters.

I know you still can't get a fresh Raspbian Stretch install configured for wireless. Still puzzled why the wpa supplicant conf file doesnt work.

I'm wondering if you've fried HDMI on the Pi Zero board. Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged in on the board and the monitor before you power on the Pi Zero. Avoid pulling the HDMI cable from the Pi Zero while it's powered up. Have you seen the display on the monitor before. Has it ever worked.

mike

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2018, 06:10:00 PM »

Stormy waters are here already.  In trying to get that witchcraft firemotd to install properly, I tried about 10 different solutions from others - none worked for me (or them) unless the last one...

One was to run the openhabian update program.   So a reboot seemed to reload a bunch more - if blinking led means that...

I am not sure which of the dozen things I did broke it, but now my openhabian is no longer talking to my wifi.

I have 4 pi zeroW boards now;  2 fried with sparks nd hot chips, 2 new that never sparked.  Yes, before frying I could watch openhabian load and also rasberry pi load to point it gets stuck - probably trying to get on the internet.  but with no keyboard, wifi, or mouse, I was dead in the water.

My next will be to learn how to delete a program in the pi so openhabian stops screwing with me.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »

Stormy waters are here already.  In trying to get that witchcraft firemotd to install properly, I tried about 10 different solutions from others - none worked for me (or them) unless the last one...

One was to run the openhabian update program.   So a reboot seemed to reload a bunch more - if blinking led means that...

I am not sure which of the dozen things I did broke it, but now my openhabian is no longer talking to my wifi.

I have 4 pi zeroW boards now;  2 fried with sparks nd hot chips, 2 new that never sparked.  Yes, before frying I could watch openhabian load and also rasberry pi load to point it gets stuck - probably trying to get on the internet.  but with no keyboard, wifi, or mouse, I was dead in the water.

My next will be to learn how to delete a program in the pi so openhabian stops screwing with me.

You're getting into the heavy end of Linux trying to delete packages. You've also been advised to run a makefile which means its a package that needs to be compiled.

Just read this and see what packages are now broken

http://sourcedigit.com/21301-fix-broken-packages-ubuntu-terminal-list-broken-packages-ubuntu/

mike

« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »

thanks for the article.  Of course I am now back to no communications of any kind with the pi so either need to make a new TF card or get a monitor to work.   One other change; since mochad installed with no faults I plugged my cm15 into it.  I recall comments that if the cm15 has program in it it can lock up mochad;  my test one surely has programs in it.  so maybe I will try one more reboot with the cm15 unplugged before starting over yet again.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2018, 06:26:49 PM »

Also, you have an unused Pi Zero which means it has a good HDMI output. You have new good cables. All you need to do now is rule in or out your two HDMI monitors. Are you sure you have the correct resolution set on your monitors. If not the GUI won't display at all. Also make sure you have everything hooked up prior to powering up the Pi Zero. This ensures you get to see the TTY output before the Pi Zero attempts to load the GUI.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »

thanks for the article.  Of course I am now back to no communications of any kind with the pi so either need to make a new TF card or get a monitor to work.   One other change; since mochad installed with no faults I plugged my cm15 into it.  I recall comments that if the cm15 has program in it it can lock up mochad;  my test one surely has programs in it.  so maybe I will try one more reboot with the cm15 unplugged before starting over yet again.

Active Home Pro allows you to wipe all timers and macros so you could do this prior to firing it up on the Raspberry Pi

mike

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2018, 06:31:31 PM »

both new pis show nothing.

I have an hdmi output from my workshop computer but it plugged into them do not show anything either;  hence me thinking both got popped.  I THINK I tried them on the computer but do not recall for sure.  I cannot reach now to try again - need another week to heal enough to reach up and behind the computer to plug in the cable...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2018, 06:42:19 PM »

both new pis show nothing.

I have an hdmi output from my workshop computer but it plugged into them do not show anything either;  hence me thinking both got popped.  I THINK I tried them on the computer but do not recall for sure.  I cannot reach now to try again - need another week to heal enough to reach up and behind the computer to plug in the cable...

My advice is to rest up for the moment and try again when you feel up to it.

As I said earlier, you now have a good Pi Zero, good HDMI cables and all you need to verify is a working HDMI monitor.

Your OpenHabian/Domoticz card I imagine is now broken distribution wise. My best advice is to start with a fresh Raspbian Stretch card, get a working HDMI monitor and see if you can make a wireless connection via the GUI. It will make life a lot easier in the long run.

In the meantime you could have another go at creating the SSH and wpa_supplicant.conf text files using sudo nano in your Linux machine and try dropping them into the /boot folder of the fresh Raspbian Stretch SD card once you're up to it.

mike

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »

hey does linux have the same wpa config file somewhere?  My TAILS usb stick I use to boot into linux goes on my network just fine.  Perhaps I can find it and copy it to the TF card...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2018, 08:31:44 PM »

Have a read of this https://shapeshed.com/linux-wifi/ It will give you the low down on configuring wireless networks in Linux

mike

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »

So I lugged my hdmi monitor and cable down from my office dual display computer.  Plugged into my workshop computer and it came immediately to life, I could move icons to it.  So unplugged from pc plugged into pi - nothing.

Tried the other 8 TF cards I have made.  Nothing.

It DOES do something:  it flashes ACER logo for 1 sec, then 3 sec blank then repeats...  On any pi, and TF card...

I am beginning to wonder if this raspberry stretch LITE is LITE for a reason - no hdmi drivers?  I may try NOOBS again to verify if this is it - these pi's may be working fine with no hdmi output?

So THIS time I put stretch-lite image on a 4gb card in Tails linux via terminal window...  copied my wpa config and ssh to boot partician.    of course no wifi still, altho it is happily clinking along on the pi green LED...

NOOBs here I come!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.