Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38354 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »

been there, done that!  I have a dozen variations of wpa file;  one had that.   :)

Ok. All I can suggest is being careful with the only items that you have to manually key in and the actual name of the file itself.

Could you paste an exact copy of your wpa_supplicant.conf file substituting the actual credentials with dummy credentials but in the same format. Silly I know but if your SSID name was "bottle" your sub would be "green". I just want to see anything that might not be obvious to you but is upsetting the login.

I have many variations by now, but I did post the copied and pasted file name and copied and pasted content back in post #113.    here is copy of that:

This is the wpa   file I am using:

wpa_supplicant.conf
its text is:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
     ssid="Virus"
     psk="864something-something-someting2C8E"
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

YES, my SSID is Virus with capital V.

I saw a post today where person showed psk=  without the quotes - I will try that tomorrow morning when I regroup.

That's exactly the format I'm using and it works. Not sure about your SSID name though. I'd change that if I was you. The only other thing I see is the use of - in the password name. The _ character is usually used in naming conventions. Best not using them at all.

The only other physical reason I can now think of for wireless not connecting now is the file naming of the wpa_supplicant.config file. Again it has to be pure text and named exactly as it should be.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2018, 06:44:54 PM »

I realize mike doesn't have ethernet but I had though his latest attempt got him WI-FI B:(my mistake)
I'm beginning to wonder if Mike you got sent a pi Zero and not the Zero W.

Strange you say that. His early orders were so cheap and his later orders were that more expensive. Might be worth establishing that before we go any further.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »

On the rear of my Pi Zero W it is stamped "Raspberry Pi Zero W 2017". Mike could you confirm if your Pi Zero W has similar markings.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2018, 07:49:35 AM »

- wondering if keyboard has to be plugged in BEFORE booting the pi?  Everytime I have tried it I plug ini after it is up and running and it is never seen.  ditto with the mouse.   will try this today.  Prob afternoon as my A-fib this morning is making me almost black out & fall over if I don't just sit here...

- will ck writing on pi's:  aat least the one I am using now works wifi  with habian card...

- I have no dashes in my Virus wifi pw:  I just wrote that to hide my pw.  I used to have key phrase but newest dsl modem would not accept it - only took the actual hex key - THAT is what I use.   So maybe the wpa file is too dumb and is trying to decode my uncoded hex pw?  will try a run without quotes...

- i copied and pasted my wpa file name to prevent any chance I had mispelled it...  what you see below is what I use.

- arduino sold pi zero w for $5.00 - until my last order - they now have it at $10.

I cannot find any reference to first line's  "GROUP=netdev"   I have tried without it and  no changee.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »

I don't doubt you paid for a W but I suspect you may have received the version without wi-fi only the W version has wi-fi.
there is little difference in the two boards.
 As for plugging in the keyboard mouse prior to boot I always did that for the Zero W manly because it was easier, my 3b+ I can hot swap any USB device.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »

As a fellow traveler who recently set up his first PiZW without issues I hope this may help. I found a simple and well written "how to" that got me up and running in very little time at:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/getting-started-with-the-raspberry-pi-zero-wireless

I used Option 2 (scroll down) on installing the OS and installed Raspbian Stretch w/Desktop using a 16Gb card.

I followed those instructions exactly as written and everything went swimmingly.

Note: Before plugging in the power supply I plugged in the SD card, the keyboard/trackpad dongle and the HDMI cable. Once the power was plugged in I waited and watched and after several minutes the desktop was displayed in living color on my TV.

After completing the rest of the steps in the tutorial I had WiFi working and updates installed.

One note about the $5 TF cards mentioned by Mike.  TF counterfeiting is a huge problem where cards are sold that don't have the memory stated or are otherwise defective. Read this and buy only known brand names from reputable retailers.  I'm all for saving a buck but there's not that much difference in cards up to 64Gb.

https://kmyers.me/blog/rant/warning-amazon-has-a-massive-problem-with-fake-microsd-cards/

mike

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »

answers to my questions:

- will ck writing on pi's:  at least the one I am using now works wifi  with habian card...
+ all say pi zero w

- pluggin in keyboard, mouse, wireless keyboard & mouse sender before power up
+ none worked on openhab

- I have no dashes in my Virus wifi pw:  I just wrote that to hide my pw.  I used to have key phrase but newest dsl modem would not accept it - only took the actual hex key - THAT is what I use.   So maybe the wpa file is too dumb and is trying to decode my uncoded hex pw?  will try a run without quotes...

- i copied and pasted my wpa file name to prevent any chance I had mispelled it...  what you see below is what I use.

- I cannot find any reference to first line's  "GROUP=netdev"   I have tried without it and  no change.
+ my working openhabian has it and works so will leave it.

further, I SSHed into working openhab running via wifi:

This is its wpa_supplicant file:
# config generated by openHABian first boot setup
country=US
update_config=1
network={
        ssid="Virus"
        psk="86sameoldsameoldB5EF2C8E"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

so checking the wpa file areas:

[13:24:19] openhabian@openHABianPi:/var/run$ cd wpa_supplicant
[13:24:31] openhabian@openHABianPi:/var/run/wpa_supplicant$ dir
p2p-dev-wlan0  wlan0
[13:24:33] openhabian@openHABianPi:/var/run/wpa_supplicant$
[13:24:35] openhabian@openHABianPi:/var/run/wpa_supplicant$ sudo head p2p-dev-wlan0
head: cannot open 'p2p-dev-wlan0' for reading: No such device or address
[13:25:03] openhabian@openHABianPi:/var/run/wpa_supplicant$ sudo head wlan0
head: cannot open 'wlan0' for reading: No such device or address

mike

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »

another useless day.   giving up for now.

tried many more variations on wpa file, nothing.  tried more with usb  hub, nothing.

Put question to tech support at Actiontec, maker of my GT784WN router/modem.  It can do multiple SSIDs...   I am thinking I can try setting up a simple 2nd SSID & simple pw and try to connect to it instead...

tried changing my SSID from Virus to VIRUS and lost 10 of my 20 connected computers.  pi did not connect.  had to hurry and put back so the wife didnt come out to my workshop and shoot me when her internet went down during my testing.

hmmm...  idea...   maybe disconnect workshop comp from dsl modem wireless and hook to a simple local wireless modem on workbench...   then I could SSH in maybe...

will try this before giving up for today.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:27 PM »

It looks like the wireless firmware version on your Pi Zero is not compatable with your router. You really need to run an apt update/upgrade but you can't do this for obvious reasons.

It looks like your only option is the fresh Raspbian Stretch route. When you get a working keyboard it will make things easier to debug,

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »

another useless day.   giving up for now.

tried many more variations on wpa file, nothing.  tried more with usb  hub, nothing.

Put question to tech support at Actiontec, maker of my GT784WN router/modem.  It can do multiple SSIDs...   I am thinking I can try setting up a simple 2nd SSID & simple pw and try to connect to it instead...

tried changing my SSID from Virus to VIRUS and lost 10 of my 20 connected computers.  pi did not connect.  had to hurry and put back so the wife didnt come out to my workshop and shoot me when her internet went down during my testing.

hmmm...  idea...   maybe disconnect workshop comp from dsl modem wireless and hook to a simple local wireless modem on workbench...   then I could SSH in maybe...

will try this before giving up for today.

Are you running through some secondary VPN by any chance. Is it set for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

mike

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2018, 03:47:15 PM »

Are you running through some secondary VPN by any chance. Is it set for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

not really.  have virus main wireless and a netgear repeater in the house 300' away;  SSID's virus_2g & virus_5g...  same pw...

just powered up old lynksys open wireless router on bench...  set to WPA personal (and tried WPA2 personal) with simple psk="this_is-mine"  and SSID="linked"   same submask as my 'real' dsl modem, just different IP (0.103) and let it assign DHCP from (0.104 to 0.115) so I can see if it assigns anything...   My workshop comput connects as .0.104, goes to the internet fine (I set my workshop for 0.1 router).   

new wpa.  no connection...

downloading from 2 different locations, 2 different names new:

raspbian 2018-06-27 stretch-lite.zip     (from raspbian.org)
&
Raspbian 2018-06-27 2GB Stretch Lite (rpi3) (kernel 4.9).img.7z

will try first then second tomorrow...

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »

Just to recap. This is a known working wpa_supplicant.conf file

country=US
update_config=1

network={
     ssid="Your network name/SSID"
     psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
     key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

******Note the change on the wpa_supplicant.conf file. Look at the first line now

This assumes that you are connecting to a standard router with no other 3rd parties in between the router and the Pi Zero and all your hardware is functioning normally.

I suggest you do the following from scratch again using a freshly formatted micro SD card that you know is in good working order.

1. Download a fresh Raspbian Stretch image (Lite or Desktop (Desktop would be preferable)
2. Unpack the download file using 7 Zip
3. Write the image to the micro SD card using Win32 Disk Image
4. While still in your Windows machine create two pure text files called SSH. and wpa_supplicant.conf amending the latter file with your own credentials.
5. Drag and drop those two files into the /boot folder of your micro SD card
6. Eject the card from the Windows machine and insert it into the Pi Zero W micro SD slot
7. Ensure that all your peripherals are attached to the Pi Zero W before you apply power
8. If everything has gone to plan you will see the TTY text on screen loading the Linux kernel
9. If you loaded Raspbian Lite you will be prompted for login. Login = pi   Password = raspberry
10. If you loaded Raspbian Desktop you should eventually be presented with the Pixel GUI

As I stated above this is based on a fresh Raspbian install.

I cannot debug your OpenHabian install as I'd need to see your file and folder structures first hand.

I strongly recommend you go the above route to get up and running.

Hopefully the above will be of assistance to others trying a Raspberry Pi Zero for the first time.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:02:02 PM by petera »

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2018, 04:08:16 PM »

not really.  have virus main wireless and a netgear repeater in the house 300' away;  SSID's virus_2g & virus_5g...  same pw...

just powered up old lynksys open wireless router on bench...  set to WPA personal (and tried WPA2 personal) with simple psk="this_is-mine"  and SSID="linked"   same submask as my 'real' dsl modem, just different IP (0.103) and let it assign DHCP from (0.104 to 0.115) so I can see if it assigns anything...   My workshop comput connects as .0.104, goes to the internet fine (I set my workshop for 0.1 router).   

new wpa.  no connection...

downloading from 2 different locations, 2 different names new:

raspbian 2018-06-27 stretch-lite.zip     (from raspbian.org)
&
Raspbian 2018-06-27 2GB Stretch Lite (rpi3) (kernel 4.9).img.7z

will try first then second tomorrow...

Disable the 5ghz on your main router. Zero may be trying to connect to the 5ghz connection which clearly it can't as it doesn't support 5ghz rate. Make sure you have no other equipment on yiur network that depend on this connection prior to temporarily disabling  it.

mike

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »

your post 148 certainly is complete with all details!  thanks.

Only difference 'tween yours and how I have been making micro DC cards is I use a different unzipper.  I have seen reference to the microsoft 7zip program but never felt a need to use it as I believe mine is better.  But for tomowor's tests I will use 7zip.

And I know my wpa file is good - I even copied it off my openhabian a few posts back.

tnx.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.