Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi  (Read 38342 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Different platforms for X10 on the Raspberry Pi
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »

Have you tried this at the command line

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2018, 05:07:03 PM »

it tells me if I forget to use sudo.  I am well past that stuff.

I can type in a perfect wpa_supplicant.conf file to either /boot or /etc/wpa_supplicant directories, it moves them, it just does not use them to configure wlan0 so I have no wifi.

NOOBS tomorrow.   this is rediculous

Ok you're well past all that.

Assuming you're using the wireless cli so I'll leave you to it with this link. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

Just to remind when you start ploughing through a load of commands that don't work, in many cases you are making changes to system files that will have a counter effect on the system. In many cases it is necessary to reimage the SD card before you can continue.

Good luck with the NOOBS.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2018, 05:08:11 PM »

I don't  understand how NOOBS can connect ::) the lite version has many drivers missing It may be best to do NOOBS tonight and let it run overnight to do the full.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »

I don't  understand how NOOBS can connect ::) the lite version has many drivers missing It may be best to do NOOBS tonight and let it run overnight to do the full.

I run the Lite version. The wpa_supplicant.conf I suggested to you a while back runs perfectly on the Lite version. What drivers do you reckon are missing.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »

If I knew that I'd suggest installing it/them. Miles setup is definately not your typical one. I know a lot is stripped from the lite version not just the GUI.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »

I run the Lite version. The wpa_supplicant.conf I suggested to you a while back runs perfectly on the Lite version. What drivers do you reckon are missing.

Just look at this link here https://medium.com/@danidudas/install-raspbian-jessie-lite-and-setup-wi-fi-without-access-to-command-line-or-using-the-network-97f065af722e

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #186 on: September 26, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »

If I knew that I'd suggest installing it/them. Miles setup is definately not your typical one. I know a lot is stripped from the lite version not just the GUI.

Mike is getting into some very technical stuff there. The aim was to get Raspbian Stretch Lite installed and booting to the Terminal. He seems to be going on a solo run here and changing system files. A recipe for more misery.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #187 on: September 26, 2018, 05:42:31 PM »

At the terminal you paste the following command

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

The following is the text of the file.

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "ssid"
        wpa-psk "password"

Save the file, restart the Pi and it will autostart and login to wireless

Anyway that what I was suggesting Mike do once he got past the login screen. This is exactly what the wpa_supplicant.conf does once you drop it into your /boot folder but it does it automatically.

I also assume that Mike uses WPA and not WEP.

I'm bowing out now on this topic.
Good luck with whatever works.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #188 on: September 26, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »

Have you tried this at the command line

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

OH YA.  built many there.  edited some there.  no help.

mike

« Reply #189 on: September 26, 2018, 07:19:09 PM »

I'm a glutten for punishment.... I used my NOOBS and let it run for an hour installing raspbian...  Of course it could not find the wifi so failed 4 pages of updates it was trying.  NOW I think I recall there is a config file in /boot in NOOBS where you have to "turn on wifi"   I did not do that.   and it reminds me that in openhabian I entered the SSID and pw into THEIR openhabian.conf file in /boot before starting.   IIRC I also had to turn on wifi there too.  Guess they knew how to use the data properly.

So I left my etcher imaging the full stretcher with gui onto an 8gb card.  Will try it in the morning.

mike

« Reply #190 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:06 PM »

Mike is getting into some very technical stuff there. The aim was to get Raspbian Stretch Lite installed and booting to the Terminal. He seems to be going on a solo run here and changing system files. A recipe for more misery.

Certainly not my choice!  Of course I got it booting to terminal on hdmi with keypad.  Log in.  Can run any terminal commands, including the infamous raspi-config.   Unfortunately even THAT will not set up the wpa_upplicant.conf file to be used.  THAT is what I fought all day.   

mike

« Reply #191 on: September 26, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »

At the terminal you paste the following command

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

The following is the text of the file.

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "ssid"
        wpa-psk "password"

Save the file, restart the Pi and it will autostart and login to wireless

Anyway that what I was suggesting Mike do once he got past the login screen. This is exactly what the wpa_supplicant.conf does once you drop it into your /boot folder but it does it automatically.

I also assume that Mike uses WPA and not WEP.

I'm bowing out now on this topic.
Good luck with whatever works.

NOW YOU SEE MY PROBLEM!!!    I DO NOT HAVE ANY OF THAT IN MY INTRFACES FILE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

i have ONE line that says like:

ipup8    ipdn8

I almost decided to nano type in the interface file the way you show it and I have seen it.  Without defining wlan0, I WILL NEVER HAVE WIFI.  It is NOT an issue typos in wpa_supplicant.conf or any other files I change.  You may think I am randomly changing linux files but I am not.  I can see where the issue is and it is in onlly 3-4 files.  You just hit on one of them. 

I should not have to type this interfaces file in!  It should be correct on the SD card for me!  THAT is the problem - something is not letting the wifi set up these files properly.

mike

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2018, 07:34:42 PM »

Just look at this link here https://medium.com/@danidudas/install-raspbian-jessie-lite-and-setup-wi-fi-without-access-to-command-line-or-using-the-network-97f065af722e

That link just shows the wpa_supplicant setup again.  I have been to 100 sites like that.

The one that I am following now goes into much more detail - down to the interfaces file:

https://kerneldriver.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/configuring-wpa2-using-wpa_supplicant-on-the-raspberry-pi/

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »

Fine so. You're deep into setup so you'll eventually find a solution.

Don't forget these two commands sudo ifdown wlan0 followed by sudo ifup wlan0 when you edit the supplicant file. Also don't forget to restart the Pi to make changes take effect

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2018, 12:57:23 AM »

@mike  I have to say I really admire your tenacity in trying to get this working.  I'm sure I would have given up much earlier in the process.  Now that you're in the process of preparing an SD card with Raspbian Stretch Desktop, following the link in posts #142 or #181 should get you there.  I used the information from the link in #142 and was up and running in minutes. Good luck!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.