Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide  (Read 13717 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »

I think you've pretty much nailed it. Belt and braces so to speak. Maybe a glass of  >! is called for after a thirsty day typing  #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 04:39:33 PM »

I think you've pretty much nailed it. Belt and braces so to speak. Maybe a glass of  >! is called for after a thirsty day typing  #:)
rofl it was mostly cut and paste from my forum But I will have a glass! >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 08:14:37 PM »

If all of the above seems to much then you can just use the installer I created.
in your terminal window copy the following and hit enter.
Code: [Select]
wget -qO- http://tuicemen.com/downloads/pi/ha-bridge/HA-BridgeInstaller.sh | bash

I took the last link literally and pasted on the other 11 steps. The install went quickly, and I got a nice TUICEMEN screen at the end.

But then.... I clicked on the HG shortcut. But saw no... Bridge Control tab to click. Where would this be found?

Once you have ha-bridge installed and running open your web browser on your Pi to localhost. Once HA-Bridge is displaying click on the Bridge Control tab.
If you wish to change your port scroll down to Web Server Port and edit the 80 to what ever port you wish to use.
If you have a Broadlink RM continue to scroll down until you see Broadlink Support. click the false button so it turn to true.
If you have any other things (hubs or software) supported by the bridge set their info as well then scroll to the top and click save.
When the bridge restarts you'll be at the Devices screen go back to the Bridge control tab (screen) and click Update Security Settings
This will allow you to setup users and password so access to the bridge so it is restricted to only those users you wish access.
I'll post how to add devices in this thread in another post.
 >!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 09:11:32 PM »

I've tried the localhost:80 and the localhost:8080 and the 127.0.0.1.... I get an error

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 05:39:42 AM »

I've tried the localhost:80 and the localhost:8080 and the 127.0.0.1.... I get an error

Drop the word localhost and try the actual address of the raspberry Pi followed by :8080

I assume it's installed on port 8080 during the install process.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

B:( B:( B:( I'm not sure what happened Dave
HA-Bridge installs to port 80 by default it doesn't create a link in HomeGenie.
If something else is running on Port 80 this may be your issue. I ran the single line script on 4 different SD cards without a issue.
However 3 were fresh Debian installs and HA-Bridge was the first to be installed in those three cases, the other case HG was installed but on port 8090. ::) :'

If you wish for it to run on a different port you must change it from inside its web UI.
Since your not getting anything in your browser you may have to many HA-bridge service entries by trying the other methods first. Though that shouldn't be the case as the installer should have just over written them.
Your first screen shot does show the HA-Bridge service was created successfully and HA-Bridge should already be running.
A few things to try.
1: Click the files & folder icon on your desktop task bar and check to see if you have the ha-bridge folder and the ha-bridge.jar file inside it. The path is home/pi/ha-bridge. if there is another folder in the HA-Bridge folder(data) check to see if anything is in it. If so we may be able to edit the port from the terminal window.

3:What port is HomeGennie on?
If it is 80 you have to change it to something else from inside HG.
HA-Bridge does not look for a open port when installing.

4: A reboot may help but if something else is running on port 80 the first to get that port will work and the other fail.
You shouldn't do the single script install after trying the other longer method however that should not screw things up.

5: if all else fails start fresh after backing up you HG configuration.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:33:15 AM »

B:( B:( B:( I'm not sure what happened Dave
HA-Bridge installs to port 80 by default it doesn't create a link in HomeGenie.
If something else is running on Port 80 this may be your issue. I ran the single line script on 4 different SD cards without a issue.
However 3 were fresh Debian installs and HA-Bridge was the first to be installed in those three cases, the other case HG was installed but on port 8090. ::) :'

If you wish for it to run on a different port you must change it from inside its web UI.
Since your not getting anything in your browser you may have to many HA-bridge service entries by trying the other methods first. Though that shouldn't be the case as the installer should have just over written them.
Your first screen shot does show the HA-Bridge service was created successfully and HA-Bridge should already be running.
A few things to try.
1: Click the files & folder icon on your desktop task bar and check to see if you have the ha-bridge folder and the ha-bridge.jar file inside it. The path is home/pi/ha-bridge. if there is another folder in the HA-Bridge folder(data) check to see if anything is in it. If so we may be able to edit the port from the terminal window.

3:What port is HomeGennie on?
If it is 80 you have to change it to something else from inside HG.
HA-Bridge does not look for a open port when installing.

4: A reboot may help but if something else is running on port 80 the first to get that port will work and the other fail.
You shouldn't do the single script install after trying the other longer method however that should not screw things up.

I suggested dropping localhost and inserting the actual local address of his Raspberry Pi in case his system does not support host naming. If HA Bridge has installed on the default port 80 and no other service is using that port just type the local ip address of the Raspberry Pi in the browser bar should bring up HA Bridge.

Something simple to try before going through the whole process again.

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 08:35:04 AM »

Drop the word localhost and try the actual address of the raspberry Pi followed by :8080

I assume it's installed on port 8080 during the install process.

Why would you assume a process  NOT described in the setup? Or... knowledge of an IP address NOT described in the setup process... or maybe even an SSH setup NOT described in the setup process? 

As a Pi-Linux-Raspbian hobby the play around with and then fix.... can be a big part of the puzzle... and the FUN. A LOT of the people who hang at these forums (myself included) enjoy the fun of finding and fixing the problems. Almost all of the people who visit these forums have a problem with a product, or setup of a product that they need a 'fix' for. It's enjoyable to help find those "fixes". But the vast majority of X10 users don't even realize the forum is here. They install and use their X10 as described in the directions.

I am not looking for a fix. I am looking for a workable set of directions for setting up a Pi that runs Homegenie..... and allows average X10 users to affordably use an Amazon Alexa to control the X10 products they already own and use. The mindset of "fixing" after the setup is inappropriate at this point. It is the product (in this case... the directions) that need fixed.

I'd call it a failure if we need Tuicemen and the other Pi experts must attempt to fix each install... or encourage every X10'er to take up the "new hobby" of Raspbian.

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »

….. Something simple to try before going through the whole process again.

I've been a member here at the X10 forum for many years. I've seen other members of this forum actually buy X10 products they didn't need to determine what was causing problems and find solutions. Spending time setting of things to replicate a users setup is normal... and only considered being helpful. I'll keep plugging at this... because it's important. 

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »

I noticed in your second screen shot you pointed your browser to localhost:8080 (at least that's what is in the address bar)
I think that's why petera assumes Ha-Bridge is on port 8080.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 08:51:42 AM »

I don't mind doing a fresh install. I am running a modified X10 setup of just a handful of modules... so I have no special need to back-up anything.

Can the directions be altered to show me how and WHEN to do the port change to 8080? If you think that is the problem? Or should look to diagnose the exact problem 1st... and then correct the direction to prevent the same error. As when done.... I plan on trying this a time or two from start to finish to make sure it works well. 

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »

I noticed in your second screen shot you pointed your browser to localhost:8080 (at least that's what is in the address bar)
I think that's why petera assumes Ha-Bridge is on port 8080.

Pictures DO say a thousands words! But I also mentioned:   "I've tried the localhost:80 and the localhost:8080 and the 127.0.0.1.... I get an error"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 09:02:04 AM »

If you do a clean install of Debian,  install HA-Bridge first as soon as your Pi boots that way nothing should be affecting the HA-Bridge service from running.
I'll add the directions to change the port in my OP  but this can only be done once HA-Bridge is open in your browser.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 09:21:54 AM »

If you do a clean install of Debian,  install HA-Bridge first as soon as your Pi boots that way nothing should be affecting the HA-Bridge service from running.
I'll add the directions to change the port in my OP  but this can only be done once HA-Bridge is open in your browser.

Ok assuming the install process selects port 80, what I suggested was typing the local ip address of your Raspberry Pi into the browser address bar. As an example say your Raspberry Pi local ip address was 192.168.0.30 instead of typing the word localhost in the address bar you would type

http://192.168.0.30

This assumes the default port 80 is assigned during the install. If for example the install defaulted to port 8081 you would type

http://192.168.0.30:8081

Again some systems find problems with host naming like localhost unless they are set up to do so.

I tried Tuicemen's install script and it's 100% successful on install so your bridge software must be installed.

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »

I tried Tuicemen's install script and it's 100% successful on install so your bridge software must be installed.

That's great. So explain to me... how that helps me... or any other non-pi user to get his/her X10 talking to Alexa using the setup directions posted here? If I follow the same directions.... do you now think I might get different results?

I could be wrong.... but I think you keep flipping back to fixing the install on my Pi. But that isn't what I am doing here. The number of Pi Experts, or users, or programmers..... is very limited. I am hoping for a setup that X10 users can muddle through on a Saturday morning. And then have Alexa enabled lights and such.... without scraping their entire X10 setup... and switching to something else they can setup.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.