Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide  (Read 13715 times)

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
Re: Comments on Pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »

Just copy paste this command. It will tell you what ports are in use and what is using which

Believe me... I understand the idea of "fixing" a setup. I've been a part of that here for a decade or more. But that is not what I am trying to do here. I am looking for a product that works. A product that can be "fixed".... has little on no value.

The thing is the installation as outlined by Tuicemen does work. There's no "fixing" required here.

You are installing the HA Bridge on top of a working version of HomeGenie. In this case we need to know what port HomeGenie is using. If you could tell us this we can work out what port the HA Bridge has been assigned.

When you get to the stage of the working version of HomeGenie and before you install the HA Bridge could you tell us what port HomeGenie has been assigned to.
At this stage you can reassign a port number like port 8086 so when the HA Bridge is installing it will be installed to the default port 80.

I looked at your screen capture that showed the HA Bridge loaded and displayed and ready for configuring. Did you scrap that installation and start again.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:00 AM »

….. There's no "fixing" required here.

Yet... it doesn't work. Interestingly.... although Tuicemen has been (unsurprisingly) working diligently to resolve this issue. All I've read from you is repeated criticisms of me. I understand.... you have passions for Raspbian/Pi's/HG. But you aren't being helpful.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2018, 10:49:29 AM »

….. There's no "fixing" required here.

Yet... it doesn't work. Interestingly.... although Tuicemen has been (unsurprisingly) working diligently to resolve this issue. All I've read from you is repeated criticisms of me. I understand.... you have passions for Raspbian/Pi's/HG. But you aren't being helpful.

I'm sorry you feel I'm criticising you. It certainly wasn't my intention. My aim was to help you and of course others to achieve a working platform for X10 on the Raspberry Pi as a credible alternative to AHP.

A number of users have already achieved this on the Home Assistant platform with the aid of instructions I posted on this forum. That was very promising. I have also posted a number of months back about HomeGenie as has Bkenobi another experienced user and of course Tuicemen in some very great detail. These contributions led TuicemenHtop post a very thorough and Indepth how to and as a result I'm aware of four users that are up and running because of it.

As part of the troubleshooting process over the last couple of posts I did ask you a number of questions to see if difficulties with your installation of HA Bridge could be resolved without starting from the beginning each time. Maybe you missed them, I'm not sure.

Anyway I'll leave you in the capable hands of Tuicemen for now. My future postings will be aimed at the general membership and if you find any use for them, well that's a good thing.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2018, 10:51:40 AM »

@ HA Dave, as posted by petera paste the following into your terminal window and press enter.
Code: [Select]
sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTENIt will display what ports are being used and by what. If you installed ha-Bridge then HG both will be on separate ports.
Post a screen shot of the out put so we can determine what Port HG installed to as it installs to a free (unused port) by default which on clean Debian installs is usually 80
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

I'm sorry you feel I'm criticising you. It certainly wasn't my intention. My aim was to help you and of course others to achieve a working platform for X10 on the Raspberry Pi as a credible alternative to AHP.

Actually... no "feelings" involved here. I was just reading the words. You ought to try it. If you would have read mine... you would have realized the desire you assigned me.... had little to do with what I wanted to accomplished.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 02:47:36 PM »

I split this off the pi newbie HA-Bridge Guide to unclutter the thread.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »

I'm not sure Dave if you missed this or just gave up?
@ HA Dave, as posted by petera paste the following into your terminal window and press enter.
sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTENIt will display what ports are being used and by what. If you installed ha-Bridge then HG both will be on separate ports.
Post a screen shot of the out put so we can determine what Port HG installed to as it installs to a free (unused port) by default which on clean Debian installs is usually 80

I've been playing with Mochad (the driver/software used by many Linux HA software) and believe this could be used with HA-Bridge to create a simple X10 hub.
I'll play with this idea over the week end.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »

Years ago (iPhone 4) I discovered Melloware here on these forums. I believe it cost 10 or 20 dollars. For years... I ran the Melloware server software on an old XP netbook-like PC with a CM19A (mouse-like firecracker RF sender), and the Melloware, X10 commander app on my iPhone(s). It gave me full remote control over all codes and devices... with the phone.

Recently... in my setup re-imagining... I took the PC and Melloware off-line.

But with the current considerations of ways to bring X10 on-line with Alexa and Google.... I revisited the Melloware-X10 Commander Web Site.

And sure enough.... now with Amazons Alexa, and the Google device... they now offer (at no additional charge) a bridge that supposedly will allow Alexa to control the X10 setup. I haven't tried it yet... but their pose (directions) are very clear.

Why can't X10 partner with these folks (like so many other have already) and get X10 back on-line with useable software?!?!?!? 

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:59:13 AM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »

Not sure how that answers my question :o

Melloware appears to use HA-Bridge.
Google changed how they handle Hue calls so HA-Bridge will nolonger work with Google.
If you want a simple PI x10 Alexa Hub I or anyone can set that up in mins.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

If you want a simple PI x10 Alexa Hub I or anyone can set that up in mins.

Tuice, That's EXACTLY what I want. No schedules, timers or anything else. Basically, I just want a Pi replacement for Alex10 so I don't have to rely on keeping a PC running 24/7.  Teach me!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »

Tuice, That's EXACTLY what I want. No schedules, timers or anything else. Basically, I just want a Pi replacement for Alex10 so I don't have to rely on keeping a PC running 24/7.  Teach me!

OK here is a rough how to:
if you have a pi up and running with Debian (doesn't matter if it is the full or lite) versions.
with the cm15 or cm19 disconnected from the pi
go to a terminal window simply install ha-bridge (you can use my script or build manualy).
Then install mochad again manualy or using my script.
you then need to cd to the ha-bridge folder and create a small script using nano called X10cmd (actually you can call it whatever)
in it add one line
echo "$@" | nc q l localhost 1099then save it and make it executable
plug in the cm15 or cm19 into the pi.
I'll create a simple script to do all this in one step(if demand is there) ::) :'
follow my ha-bridge guide but don't use the HG  on off commands unless you have that installed.
I'll update this for the x10cmd commands however for now the on/off calls for L5 wold look like this:
For ON
./x10cmd pl l5 onFor Off
./x10cmd pl l5 off
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:28:35 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »

Not sure how that answers my question :o

I'd posted screen shots of what I was getting twice. The problem wasn't in the fixing (as far as I know)… it was in the setup. The directions were just far too general. I have NO desire to be taught coding or Raspbian... or whatever.

The setup for HG was excellent
.... except attention should have been paid (apparently) to ports and IP addresses. A returning to fix.. isn't a solution.

Most of the Internet of things (including the HA Hubs) are little more than a Pi or Pi-like device with a simple software install. I know of no reason... why this can't be thought out and compiled into a simple step-by-step, beginning-to-end.... like melloware did. Heck... I'd think X10 could market it... maybe even just sell the memory card image.

But as a product.... not a learning kit, o hobby project.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

I'd posted screen shots of what I was getting twice.
yes you did but you never posted a screen shot using the debug code I asked.
A single download installer I provided for HA-Bridge can't be any simpler, it is even a simpler install then the HG.
You got both GH and HA-Bridge installed but apparently have a port conflict or HG has loaded to a port your not expecting it to . Using
sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN in the terminal will display a screen like the attached showing ports in use.
I can make a simple KISS script (installer)which will auto install both HG and ha-bridge as well as anything else required. You'd only need to cut and paste one line into your terminal hit enter and sit back.

If I had a Pi 3b I'd even create a disk image with things pre installed and send you sadly I don't have one.  :( And from what I've read images from a 3b+ will not work on older PIs :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2018, 11:00:39 PM »

…...A single download installer I provided for HA-Bridge can't be any simpler, it is even a simpler install then the HG.
You got both GH and HA-Bridge installed but apparently have a port conflict or HG has loaded to a port your not expecting it to .

Well thanks again... for the very same lesson in Pi programming. But as I have repeatedly posted.... I have no desire to take up another hobby. Don't take this wrong! I am sure code writing with Pi devices can be an enjoyable and gratifying hobby. But I am (and maybe countless millions of other home automation users)… not really interested. At least not right now.

I was more than happy to provide any info that might help you get the directions to a point where X10 users everywhere could download a Pi solution to X10's non-cloud problem. But a one-off fix.... doesn't help anyone... and it doesn't interest me. If we have 50 code/Pi hobbyist world-wide.... or if we inflate that number to maybe 75..... it will make no difference to X10. I actually believe.... making X10 more of a maker-craft hobby... hurts X10's reputation.

My ultimate desire would be to see a product so dependable and simple..... someone (if not X10) would market it. I don't think either of us did anything wrong. But we weren't heading in the same direct and we had different goals.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:07:04 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2018, 07:38:03 AM »

I'm not trying to teach anyone Pi programing.
Even users of Windows programs run into port conflicts as well not helping a user with a issue is not teaching a user programing.
But a one-off fix.... doesn't help anyone... and it doesn't interest me.
Oh, but one off fixes do help many! they lead to what most want!
A single point and click installer I think is what most users want. Linux PI users frown on this as it teaches nothing.

Your giving up using a PI for now and I respect that!
When\if you decide to look at the PI again I hope you find any help you may need!
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.