Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mochad installer  (Read 18409 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Mochad installer
« on: August 22, 2018, 03:20:48 PM »

This is mostly for the PI newbies or users with fat fingers like me.
It took me for ever to get this installed on my PI, I even screwed up simple cutting and pasting of lines B:( B:(
Simply download the attached and rename to a sh file ( mochad17.sh) you can then run from in a terminal window.
If your lazy like me  ::) :' or just want the simplest way to avoid errors, copy the following code to a terminal window and hit enter.
Code: [Select]
wget -qO- http://tuicemen.net/downloads/pi/mochad/mochad-17.sh | bash
I've tested this on my PI 3B+ but on several SD cards ;)
The attached installs mochad-0.1.17 which most x10 PI (lLnux) Home Automation software require to use a CM15

Note: Prior to running the script disconnect your CM15 then reconnect once Mochad is installed.

>!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 02:11:02 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
Re: Mochad installer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »

You can create a small script which will allow you to send terminal commands to a cm15 or cm19 using mochad.
The mochad read me documents this however I found what is in the documentation doesnnot to work correctly as it doesn't return you to the terminal input
Changing the one line in the X10cmd script to
Code: [Select]
echo "$@" | nc -q 1 localhost 1099 fixes that.
Note: The x10cmd still needs to be made executable and the command to fire it is still the same.
If anyone has a issue creating this let me know and I'll post a link to the one I created.
>!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:17:17 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »

As I painfully slowly learn all this, I have discovered that I cannot make mochad ver 1.16 work on my pi zero W no matter how many times I try.  it just refuses to run.  Ended up removing it and its directory to trash and replacing with ver 1.17  - makes and installs every time.   FYI for the next person...

BTW, I also found those one liners not returning control to the terminal without a ctl-Z.  I found adding a -w1 (wait 1 msec I think) forced it to also.

echo "rf b1 on" | nc -w1 localhost 1099

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »

I had never tried mochad 16. However from past experience with trying to install old windows drivers I learned you need the newest versions to avoid many issues.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »

normally so, but for mochad...    I have seen sitts say stay away from1.17 as it has problems.  sorgeforge actually gives 1.16 as the latest option.  wierd.

I re imaged my card to plain raspberrian gui since I could not get 1.16 to work...  finally trashed that and did the 1.17 and it just worked.  So imaged that as fall back.  then added domoticz.  it actually works with mochad!  added a bunch of my x10 modules.   Will image it in morning as fall back backup.  Next I need to find some instructions how to use the switches next.   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:00 PM »

it actually works with mochad!  added a bunch of my x10 modules.   Will image it in morning as fall back backup.  Next I need to find some instructions how to use the switches next.   
Yep I played with Domoticz a bit and added all my devices and security sensors. However Other then just turn on/off things I never added any macros or timers. I still have an install on a SD disk but been testing new HG updates instead of playing with Domoticz
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »

after I master domoticz I will circle back to try HG again.  maybe by then the original author will be back into it and make some improvements.      That is what I like of domoticz;  there is a new version often.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

The new releases don't mean much if they don't add anything to my setup, HG has had 11 new builds in the last week by Gene but with little feed back updates will likely stop. once suggestions have been implemented.
Mochad hasn't been updated in 8 years but it works.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 01:04:55 PM »

I thought there was an issue using Mochad with HA because it didn't send on the RF commands (motion sensors, RF remotes, etc)?  Does it work correctly in Domoticz?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 01:17:14 PM »

Mochad does see RF both regular and security at least with ver 17.
Domoticz does see those when setting things up just use the learn switch option.
However as far as Domoticz utilizing that info for anything (macros) I never got that far in playing with it.
There is a Mochad RF app (not sure of exact name) special for RF but I'm not sure if Domoticz supports it.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

mike

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:50 PM »

If then, timers etc superb easy to build with blocky built in. Drag and drop ease.  Sending rf works to, just not security rf

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »

I had never tried mochad 16. However from past experience with trying to install old windows drivers I learned you need the newest versions to avoid many issues.

Not in this case. Linux generally doesn't work that way. Believe me I don't how many people have fallen into this trap. Ver 0.1.16 is well and truly tested. I did a lot of testing with Mochad and various other HA programs and it came out the most stable.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »

Another interesting read on the subject of The Bridge and Mochad https://github.com/bwssytems/ha-bridge/issues/458 (for reference only)

Again if Ver 0.1.17 does the job well and good.

Ver 0.1.15 was the first version to support the new CM19 as it was at the time.

Apologies but here's Neil Cherry's Ver 0.1.18 of Mochad. I believe he is a member on this forum so maybe he may able to give us a greater understanding of his work on Mochad. No better man to ask about Mochad I reckon https://github.com/linuxha/mochad
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 06:28:03 PM by petera »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »

Although it may be an interesting read the link is to an old resolved issue of the HA-Bridge. This just confuses matters for newbies or those thinking about jumping onto the PI Wagon.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 06:25:40 PM »

Although it may be an interesting read the link is to an old resolved issue of the HA-Bridge. This just confuses matters for newbies or those thinking about jumping onto the PI Wagon.

Absolutely but again it's all down to reading up on other peoples experiences good and bad. I'm trying to encourage people to explore the Linux and Pi world a little more.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.