Poll

What character length do you feel is required for device, room & scene names

- 2 (9.5%)
- 3 (14.3%)
- 15 (71.4%)
just leave it alone
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Character limits  (Read 3052 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Character limits
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »

There have been many users complaining about the character limits and I'm surprised no one has created a poll for it.
My self I've learned to use what is available as many things have character limits.
However since the scenes has the ability for a longer name (though won't save it) why can't the others have at least the same limitation.
I feel all names should have the same limitation no mater what that is.
Your thoughts?
 >!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:48:17 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Character limits
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »

I would also like to be able to use some special characters like -, /, *, ! ...

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »

Special characters would not allow a voice assitant skill so I  wouldn't  expect that.  :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 12:47:15 PM »

With the limitation of only allowing a name to be used once, I would at least allow periods ".".

If I have to have all totally unique names, names like LivingRoom.SideTable.Lamp and FamilyRoom.SideTable.Lamp and MasterBedroom.SideTable.Lamp come to mind.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »

I don't know enough about how different Assistants handle device names but I do know you can use spaces.
Also You Can use the same device name more then once currently in the app but I suspect that will cause issues with the skills unless the room name for which the device is in is added.
If that happens your devices that start with living room would become "Living Room Living Room......"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »

At least 22.... 24 would be awesome.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:53 PM »

With the limitation of only allowing a name to be used once, I would at least allow periods ".".

If I have to have all totally unique names, names like LivingRoom.SideTable.Lamp and FamilyRoom.SideTable.Lamp and MasterBedroom.SideTable.Lamp come to mind.
FWIW My experience with Alexa and Homeseer is; each name must be unique. So if you plan on going to AI voice control in the future, I would avoid special characters, and I don't know if Alexa would understand " Alexa turn on bedroom dot table dot lamp".

Don't know how a future Alexa/X10 mashup will work, but Homeseer allows you to associate a location with a device name, but these are separate in the database, and Alexa only gets the device name from the Homeseer server, not the associated location. Just trying to help anyone thinking they will use Alexa with X10 WiFi.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

This dove tails with the character limit comments, and may have already been mentioned.
When you have a light that is dimmable, the app puts a big plus and minus icon in the device box for dimming. The icons are on the same line as the device name. This truncates the device name. I have devices only showing four letters of the device name even though there is plenty of space left before the device name would overlap the Dim icon. The pictures in the manual show many more letters of the device name before the remaining portion of the name gets truncated.  I wonder if the spacing changed with the update from 0.22 to 0.23.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

geobrick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »

Increased character limit would be great but I would like the app to be able to display all the characters within the current limit.
Currently with an iPhone set to display larger fonts (so I can read them), the displayed names get truncated with "...". There seems to be plenty of room to display longer names but if there's some coding limitation, maybe they could automatically scroll the name or at least let us scroll the displayed name manually with our finger. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 12:05:23 PM by geobrick »

arizona480

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »

I want to be able to label my outside Xmas lights as "Exterior Illumination" in honor of Clark Griswold.  And allow punctuation characters such as ". , ! / ? " 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:24:09 PM by arizona480 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.