Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you be interested in such a thing?

Yes
- 5 (62.5%)
No, I'll build it my self or would never use it
- 0 (0%)
Don't care one way or the other
- 3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The Pi Alexa X10 Hub  (Read 25944 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: The Pi Alexa X10 Hub
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2018, 08:20:24 AM »

As I stated before, HA-Bridge unfortunately doesn't work with Google Home due to how Google has chosen to work with Hue hubs, it no longer works with software bridges directly.
However it is possible to get Google assistant working with a Pi in a number of different ways.
I had created a small server app for windows which allowed Google control using the SmartThings app and figured this could be done with a PI as well. With some digging I discovered this has already been done with Mochad  and over  4 years ago.
I'll play with this when I get some free time. ::) :'

Of course you can always do the PI project to turn your Pi into a Google Mini.
I also understand there is a project to turn the PI into an Alexa Device
Both of these projects can be found on Github for those interested.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »

As I stated before, HA-Bridge unfortunately doesn't work with Google Home due to how Google has chosen to work with Hue hubs, it no longer works with software bridges directly.
However it is possible to get Google assistant working with a Pi in a number of different ways.
I had created a small server app for windows which allowed Google control using the SmartThings app and figured this could be done with a PI as well. With some digging I discovered this has already been done with Mochad  and over  4 years ago.
I'll play with this when I get some free time. ::) :'

Of course you can always do the PI project to turn your Pi into a Google Mini.
I also understand there is a project to turn the PI into an Alexa Device
Both of these projects can be found on Github for those interested.

Yes both Mochad and Heyu are well worth investigating. Quite a few successful projects built around them with X10 in mind. In fact Heyu is working nicely for me under Home Assistant.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 09:24:50 AM »

Since there have been no volunteers to test this I can't expand on this.
The poll also shows there is little to no interest in this so I'll shelf this project.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:16 AM »

The poll also shows there is little to no interest in this so I'll shelf this project.
 >!

There's a sense of suspicion about all things Raspberry Pi. Probably heightened by the fact that the platform you run on it depends on a flavour of Linux, Raspbian, as it's OS.

Age seems to be another underlying issue mentioned as to why certain people don't feel they can embrace it and jump up and down at the mere mention of it. For the life of me I cannot understand why.

There are others who have successfully deployed the Raspberry Pi in the home automation and maybe feel slightly intimidated sharing their experiences here or are sharing them elsewhere in the relevant forum.

Personally speaking I've settled on Home Assistant on the Raspberry Pi more than manages
X10 and many other elements of home automation.

For the Windows diehards there is a version of Home Assistant that will run in Windows.

I'm not a Google Home user. I do play about with Alexa from time to time but I don't really have a need for it. Ironically one of the grand children were blasting music in the living room recently while trying to scream at Alexa to turn on the light. I heard the racket walked into the room and pressed the light switch. Enough said about Alexa  :)%

brobin

• Helpful Post Rating: 157
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »

>!

I didn't realize you were looking for a volunteer.  I've got my PiZW ready to go.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

@brobin
I believe the installer is ready for testing as it has worked on my pi (different SD cards) with a full or lite Debian stretch installed.

If you wish to test this PM me and I'll respond with the link ;)
 >!
Private message me if you wish to test and I'll dig up the link to the script installer.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 05:49:24 PM »

Ironically one of the grand children were blasting music in the living room recently while trying to scream at Alexa to turn on the light. I heard the racket walked into the room and pressed the light switch. Enough said about Alexa.
rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »

Although I did shelve the project I decided to post the installer and a small write up on my forum.
http://forums.tuicemen.net/index.php?topic=1310.0

>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »

Thanks Tuice!  :)% I'll check it out.  >!

brobin

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »

Installed the Pi Alexa X10 Hub this evening and it works perfectly.  If all one needs is an X10-Alexa Bridge to use with an already established system like Stargate, Ocelot or AHP, this is the answer.  Once I got the Pi up and running (incredibly simple) all I had to do was type the one line that Tuice provided.  When the installation finished I typed the Pi's IP address into my laptop's browser and HA Bridge popped right up.   :)%  Alexa discovered the new devices and the commands worked first time.

Thank you Tuicemen for taking the time to do this.  I also appreciate the editing instructions you posted on your site.  #:) >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »

Glad you had no issues with the install or setup I tried to make it as simple as possible.
Others may be interested in which Pi model your running not that it should make a difference.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

brobin

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 12:45:37 PM »

My PiZW Alexa hub is working great (Thanks Tuice  >! ) except for the requirement for frequent reboots. When Alexa can't find the device I see that the Pi has gone offline and needs a reboot. I don't know enough (yet) about Pi's to know where to look for the problem and any ideas would be appreciated.  It's a Pi Zero W located within 25' of the router showing excellent signal running Raspbian Stretch (w/GUI) on a 32GB Class 10 card. Power supply is 5.1V 3A. The only things plugged into it are the power supply and the CM-19A through a 4 port unpowered OTG hub. TIA for any thoughts.

brobin

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »

More info and maybe - hopefully - a fix.  In hunting around online I came across this post: https://tech.scargill.net/pi-zero-wi-fi-automatic-reconnect/

Basically, he says that Pi Zero's are defaulted to NOT reconnecting to WiFi after signal loss. So if the router reboots, bye bye miss american pi!  B:(
I don't see the logic in setting the default that way on a device that is WiFi only but nobody asked me.  :' In any case, the post provides some text to add to /etc/network/interfaces that presumably solves the problem by changing the default.  After learning how to add permissions to change the file I have it done and will be doing some testing this evening.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »

There have been reports of the zerro not working well with powered hubs infact several teport toasting ther ZeroW.
I'd remove the powered hub it may be causing the zero to over heat and shutting down. You don't need any thing else USB plugged into it if you set up ssh.you can remote into the terminal for any installs and such. Or set up VNC and remote desktop into it. I've not had a issue with my zerro losing wifi but all that is plugged in is the CM15 and power cord.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 02:35:59 PM »

There have been reports of the zerro not working well with powered hubs infact several teport toasting ther ZeroW.
I'd remove the powered hub it may be causing the zero to over heat and shutting down. You don't need any thing else USB plugged into it if you set up ssh.you can remote into the terminal for any installs and such. Or set up VNC and remote desktop into it. I've not had a issue with my zerro losing wifi but all that is plugged in is the CM15 and power cord.

Definitely wouldn't use a powered hub on a Pi Zero. Causes mayhem with settings and you really have to know how to set up and configure USB manually if anything goes wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.